Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Trimetric Installed, with pics

This was a 2 hour project that turned out to be 5 hours. After a good suggestion on the Forum, I decided to fabricate two pieces of crushed 1/2" copper pipe with holes, one twisted 90 degrees and one straight, to attach the shunt on top of the battery.
Ok, I get to the trailer and find that one terminal is indeed connected at the top with an M8, but the other negative cable is clamped to the post. Hmmm. Well I figured I could use both pieces of pipe, one to attach the shunt to the battery and the other to attach the clamp bolt to the shunt. Fine, the layout looked OK but as I tried to bolt the rigid flattened pipe to the battery terminal I buggered the threads on the M8 bolt. Back home to get my metric tap and die set.
I managed to fix all of that and get the shunt installed, see picture.
Then I had to pull the meter cable from the battery box inside the trailer, which of course, requires access under the bed and removal of the electric center divider panel. Fun, but the caulk that AS uses for all of those cable penetrations in the floor of the trailer is like a soft rock. Impenetrable with any wire. In the end, I forced a screwdriver through it from the top, got underneath, taped the meter wire to the screwdriver, went back inside and pulled up the screwdriver and meter cable. See the penetration from the bottom picture.
I routed the cable to the wardrobe in the bedroom, connected it(see picture) and it did not work. First thing I checked was voltage at the meter...none. Hoping I did not cut the wire when pulling it through various places, I checked the fuse. Blown or bad, replaced it, all is well!
Now I have to play around to get a value for P1 that makes sense with my converter and solar. I am starting with 13.5 but I will not be able to charge the battery with shorepower until I bring the trailer home, probably not until Spring.
But now I have a Trimetric!! Hooray.
Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01045 (2).JPG
Views:	445
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	199629   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01043 (2).JPG
Views:	315
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	199630  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01042 (2).JPG
Views:	365
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	199631  
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Thanks! I am heading over to install mine tomorrow. Never even thought about the flattened copper pipe! I may change plans and take the extra batt cables back.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Indeed, forums can be helpful!
Larry
Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Did you remove any belly pans to run the wires from the battery box back to the electrical center? I would like to install a Trimetric, but before I commit I want to understand the installation issues.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

No, since I used the existing battery cables, only the thin trimetric power wire had to go inside and I fed it through the hole I punched in the caulk then recaulked.
Larry
Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ok thanks. I thought the wires from the battery box routed into the belly pan and then up into the trailer, but I'll admit I haven't looked that closely yet. I'm replacing my converter this weekend, so I'll have a chance to study the cable routing. Since I'll have things open I may run some wires so when/if I do install the trimetric the wiring (minus the shunt) will be in place.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

My battery wires penetrate through the floor of the trailer at the very forward end, stbd side. The hole is caulked with Sikaflex.
Larry