Trimetric Installed, with pics
This was a 2 hour project that turned out to be 5 hours. After a good suggestion on the Forum, I decided to fabricate two pieces of crushed 1/2" copper pipe with holes, one twisted 90 degrees and one straight, to attach the shunt on top of the battery.
Ok, I get to the trailer and find that one terminal is indeed connected at the top with an M8, but the other negative cable is clamped to the post. Hmmm. Well I figured I could use both pieces of pipe, one to attach the shunt to the battery and the other to attach the clamp bolt to the shunt. Fine, the layout looked OK but as I tried to bolt the rigid flattened pipe to the battery terminal I buggered the threads on the M8 bolt. Back home to get my metric tap and die set.
I managed to fix all of that and get the shunt installed, see picture.
Then I had to pull the meter cable from the battery box inside the trailer, which of course, requires access under the bed and removal of the electric center divider panel. Fun, but the caulk that AS uses for all of those cable penetrations in the floor of the trailer is like a soft rock. Impenetrable with any wire. In the end, I forced a screwdriver through it from the top, got underneath, taped the meter wire to the screwdriver, went back inside and pulled up the screwdriver and meter cable. See the penetration from the bottom picture.
I routed the cable to the wardrobe in the bedroom, connected it(see picture) and it did not work. First thing I checked was voltage at the meter...none. Hoping I did not cut the wire when pulling it through various places, I checked the fuse. Blown or bad, replaced it, all is well!
Now I have to play around to get a value for P1 that makes sense with my converter and solar. I am starting with 13.5 but I will not be able to charge the battery with shorepower until I bring the trailer home, probably not until Spring.
But now I have a Trimetric!! Hooray.