Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Trimetric 2030 RV battery monitor

Has anybody with a 19" Bambi installed one? Or anybody? Just looking for installation insight if possible. Thanks, Woody
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingwoody View Post
Has anybody with a 19" Bambi installed one? Or anybody? Just looking for installation insight if possible. Thanks, Woody
I installed a 2025 in our SOB (19 foot Wanderer). I got a plastic (outdoor style) 5" square, 3" deep electrical box with pipe ports and mounted the current shunt in it and then mounted the box to the trailer frame just below the front of the trailer body shell. Cut a hole in the interior wall next to the water pump control, then used a fish tape to find my way from that hole down to the under-counter space where the rest of the wiring came out. Once I had that, I pulled the sense wiring from the wall to the hole, then further through the trailer floor and forward to the shunt box. I moved the ground lead from the battery over to the shunt, and put a new four foot section of 2 or 4 gauge battery lead from the shunt to the battery negative post. The Trimetric battery voltage sense hooks up to the positive battery post with a fuse.

I think that in all I probably spent about six or eight hours on it, but a substantial part was in the planning of where stuff was going to go and where I was going to run the wiring. The electrical hookup itself is very simple and the instructions are clear.

And yes, I will absolutely install another one (or make sure we have the equivalent functionality) in our Tradewind when we get the electrical back together. Without knowing amp-hours in and out, you know nothing about the state of charge of the battery. The instantaneous and convenient display of current and voltage condition is also great to have.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Hi Alumineer
Thanks for the reply. I had some thoughts on installation and was looking for other's thinking. Thant is exactly what you provided. Thank you.I had a similar monitor installed on my sailboat. Like you I'd never be without one again. I do mostly boondocking. I'm going to look at your option as it relates to my unit when my monitor arrives. My thought (not sure this will work either) was to catch ground cable as it enters the trailer. Cut it, install two new lugs and insert the shunt between the cut. If that doesn't do it your option sounds like a good alternative. I'll post how it goes. Thanks again. Woody
Old 10-04-2016, 04:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Woody,

I am not familiar with the Bambi but on my 25 I installed the shunt in the battery box and pulled the other wires into the front of the trailer through the normal routing. I installed the display in the forward hanging locker as it was easiest to get the wires there.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Thanks Larry. Any issues with removing your batteries for whatever reason? That thought also entered my mind but I'd have to go out and look first.. Woody

Update: Just ran out to look in battery box. Hmmm, possible. Without having shunt in hand, suspect a very tight fit. However, maybe adding a weather proof to the "outside" of battery box might be the ticket. Stay tuned.........
Old 10-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

My box holds the two stock Group 24 AGM's and there was room for the shunt. I used crushed copper pipe to connect the shunt to the battery terminal. You can search the forum for my post and pictures, if you are interested.
Larry
Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Hey Larry, what do I search for? I've never had much luck with this search engine. Any chance you can shoot me a link?
ewood29289@aol.com

Thanks, Woody
Old 10-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Hi. Lots of information on the site bogartengineering.com as to the best placement for the shunt. Also Ralph, the designer of this TM2030 is always there for answers.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Link

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...cs-112618.html

Here you go.

Larry
Old 10-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Wow

Larry, you're a bloody genius. Never thought to attach to "top" of battery. Sooooo, when removing batteries just remove shunt along with other cables. Duh! I don't like using Tri Metrics housing. Sticks out too far. Think I'll just make a cut out and toss the box. Flush mount should allow for constant read out. I owe you man........... Thanks, Woody
Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Just finished my battery box mod and Trimetric install.

Details here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ll-157564.html
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Yeah, the forum can be a great resource for simple solutions!
Larry
Old 10-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
My Trimetric story is here as part of a solar project:
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/airstream/solar/
It works great for me.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingwoody View Post
Larry, you're a bloody genius. Never thought to attach to "top" of battery. Sooooo, when removing batteries just remove shunt along with other cables. Duh! I don't like using Tri Metrics housing. Sticks out too far. Think I'll just make a cut out and toss the box. Flush mount should allow for constant read out. I owe you man........... Thanks, Woody
I hadn't seen that before either and it is a great idea. Those with small battery compartments will love that.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I didn't like the trimetric box either, and I didn't want it to be "surface mounted", so I took an aluminum plate and mounted the trimetric panel to the plate and then "back mounted" the the plate to the cabinet:
See Post 12
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...ty-141874.html

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Thanks

I just want to say how much I appreciate the feedback from all of you in regards to this project. I just about finished today and just have to do the final wiring tomorrow. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would. Until then, this is how I did it. Essentially I grabbed the inbound +/_ as it came inboard, from the battery box, under the street side seat of the dinette. Positive goes to a battery disconnect solenoid and ground goes to a bus bar. I pulled ground off the buss bar and wired it into one side of the shunt. From the other side of shunt back to bus bar. Ran signal cable behind water tank, under sink and into wardrobe up behind two floor drawers. I cut a hole in bulkhead to left of stove and below Airstream info center. I threw away TriMetric's box and did a flush mount instead of a surface mount. Tomorrow I will go out in search of a piece of aluminum and create a trim plate for a look similar To Mark's. Woody