Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Trickle charger to replace Univolt

I am living permanently in my 31' Sovereign. The Univolt was not working (had an electrician check it) so I removed it. I only need the 12 volt system for overhead lights so I connected a 12 volt trickle charger which puts out 12 amps to the wires that go the lights and this has seemed to work fine. I'm still a little nervous about this. Does anyone forsee any problems? Thanks in advance for the help.
jwaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:36 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Trickle Charger

Those univolts are expensive, but they do keep the DC voltage from going too high and doing battery damage. Some chargers have limmited cut out circuits, in fact, I have a little one that will take a battery up to 15 volts plus.

I changed out my univolt, after replacing the capacitors a couple times, with a regular trailer convertor. Something left over from a used camping van we had. But I keep an eye on it. With a Radio Shack digital voltmeter and a cigerate lighter plug, you can monitor the voltage to the tenth of a volt. Mine hovers around 13.2 volts Gives me pease of mind and now costs about twenty bucks

Good Luck SteveMc
Steve McCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I'd hardly call a charger that puts out 12A a trickle charger. Most of these have no filtering. While this might not be a problem with tungsten lights, I wouldn't want to use it with no batteries with flourescents or electronic equipment.

I have a 55A Magnetek that's only been used for about 7 months. If I could get $120 (shipped in the 49 states) for it, I'd pull it out sell it so I could put a fancier unit in there.

The literature says it's okay to run it on your appliances without a battery load being connected.