Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
There was a time when I repaired big radars and related test equipment. The joke after making repairs was - "okay, let's smoke test this thing".
All breakers off before connecting power, then main breaker on, followed by breakers for circuits. Reverse order to disconnect.
Because you just never know ...

nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #16
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Irving , Texas
The cost to replace a 30 amp breaker is almost nothing, compared to the value of anything it powers up. The time it takes to replace one is less than the time it will take to write this post. And I doubt you could even build a site to code without them today, and for good reason.

Turning off the power for safety reasons is what they are designed to do. They prevent a plug of unknown condition, likely held in the bare hand of an unknown person, standing in unknown weather and other conditions from becoming HOT until the user intends it to be hot.

The fact that use will make it wear out someday brings them on par with every other mechanism in the modern world, and replacing them is simply a cost of doing business.

The notion that we should be more concerned about the cost of that part, which BTW we already pay for in the form of site rentals, or the amount of inconvenience it causes a park host (which could be counted in mere seconds per episode) every time some newbie can't figure out why there's is no juice, is far outweighed by the amount of reasonable safety they add to the equation.

I'm all for ways to save the park owner money or time, but not by volunteering my own personal safety instead...I'm there for my own enjoyment and I'm paying for the privilege, so I shut off the breakers, period.

Madarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I always turn off the breaker before I plug in. And I have a hard-wired Progressive Dynamics monitor/surge protector that won't LET power into my rig if there's a bad ground, neutral issue or whatever. The usual problem I find in park pedestals isn't with the breaker, it's worn out contacts or broken insulator material from people who don't pull the plug straight out. (Saw this last night in the pedestal I was hooked up to.)
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I don't care what a sign says. If breakers are on when I arrive I turn them off, plug in my circuit tester and fault detector, wait the 145 seconds for it to check everything and tell me all is ok, then I plug in our wire from the AS.

When I leave I turn the breakers off prior to pulling plug.
What tester are you using? Need one. Thanks!
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
<<What tester are you using? Need one. Thanks!>>

x 2 Paiceman.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
See Mike Sokol 's web site for detailed information concerning the necessary (inexpensive) instruments and proper technique. I use this procedure every time I hook up and on an extended trip with 57 separate hookups I found three faulty and dangerous connections. The camp manager in two cases fixed the problem immediately. The third manager was in denial but allowed me to move to a different site. I will follow Sokol's advice to never hook up to defective power. Death is too high a price for camping.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
While we are discussing the plugging into an RV shoreline, the issue of surge/other protection is good to cover. This is what I use, a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C Portable Surge Protector 50 Amp. I have also fixed two cables to lock things up.

Voltage monitor by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

This checks the two sides of the connection, looking at voltage, etc. and has error codes if problems are discovered. Having spent nearly $1000 in repairing the Inverter/Charger on a large moho, I am aware of the issues with low voltage and how this can fry things in the RV.

So, for protection of the AS, a device such as the above, is IMO an essential.
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #22
Home of Vortex tuning
2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I was taught that the electrical thermal load that a breaker gets to "pop" is what weakens the spring.
I have stayed at parks where the 50 amp breakers get too hot from solar radiation along with electrical load and "pop". One I shaded the pedestal to fix, the other I had to run on 30 amp with diminished AC. Both of these had weak springs in the breaker.
I have seen when a new park owner of an rural old park with low capacity use a water hose to cool the main power box until he could get everything repaired correctly.
"Chip Tank" is in Vacaville Ca..
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
While we are discussing the plugging into an RV shoreline, the issue of surge/other protection is good to cover. This is what I use, a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C Portable Surge Protector 50 Amp. I have also fixed two cables to lock things up.
Good info in this thread. A surge protector and testing equipment are among the many things we'll be purchasing over the next few months to outfit our rig. Details like this are invaluable, especially when I can copy the item name (as above) and plug it into Amazon to bring up the exact device.

FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
UL testing will already have covered the expected life cycles of an RV pedestal circuit breaker. I would not be worried about wearing out the switch. Certainly the switch should not be turned on or off with full power running through it, but I'm pretty sure UL ar any other certification authority has it covered!
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
X2 Msmoto - Always use an external surge protector. It has a 60-second delay before it transfers power. A good external surge protector will also TEST the line so that you don't fry your electonics.

The reason to use an external one rather than a built-in internal one is that if a strong surge occurs that fries the surge protector, you won't have the resulting heat cause a fire in your AS.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote