Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Question Tie House & Coach Batteries for Winter Storage?

Is it OK to parallel my 84 Excella 270's house and coach batteries for winter storage? The shore power keeps the house batteries charged and warm, but not the coach [starter] battery. Will there be any ill effect? All batteries are the same age. It was 16F here last night and -20F will be here soon! My coach is otherwise winterized.
John in Northern NY.
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

John, I've been leaving my truck for seven months at a time for the last 6 years. It has twin parallel batteries. I leave a cheap "battery minder" plugged into the mains and connected to one of the batteries. It starts first time every year. The same with my sailing yacht and its twin batteries. I wouldn't use a normal "battery charger" or an original Airstream "Univolt". I've replaced my Univolt with an Intellipower with Charge Wizard, and I leave my Airstream plugged into that for 8 months every year, unattended.
Nick.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
If you want the starter battery kept topped off, I wouldn't tie it to the house batteries, I'd get a small trickler charger and do it independently. Even if the batteries are the same age, the type of cycle that a starter battery goes through is so much different than a slowly discharged house battery that their condition must be different. You never want to tie batteries together that aren't "identical."

Zep
Old 11-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Nick and Zep,
Thanks for your prompt posts. I guess I'll put a separate trickle charger on the coach battery.
-JW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW
Nick and Zep,
Thanks for your prompt posts. I guess I'll put a separate trickle charger on the coach battery.
-JW
A small "solar panel" works great.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Here is what we use for our airplanes and trucks. They sit six months a year.
SONEIL - 12V Chargers
The 5 amp version.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote