Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
Thoughts on using a surge guard?

I've never had any issues with my 2004 Safari's electrical system and I'm curious how common the use of surge guards are? Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew014 View Post
I've never had any issues with my 2004 Safari's electrical system and I'm curious how common the use of surge guards are? Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
The problem isn't with the trailer it is the campground power! I use one every time I hook up. I don't see too many of them around the campgrounds tho.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wouldn't be without it! Was at a campground that didn't manage its power properly. When too little voltage was being sent, my surge protector shut things down before any damage could be done to electronics in the trailer. You just never know how things are wired. Always cheap insurance. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
I recently bought a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System (surge protector) from Amazon. I used it at home while I was setting up my FC 25 for a trip for about 5 days. The first night of our trip our 120v power went out and all that showed up on the surge protector's display was "-----". I removed the surge protector and plugged into the campground power with no problem. I returned the unit for a refund. I don't know if it's worth another try. The unit cost $250 and lasted about two weeks.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I agree, pretty cheap insurance. Some parks have old or substandard wiring systems, or get overloaded running all those A/C's. Frying the AS electronics/electrical would be VERY expensive. . . Regards, Craig
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
I understand it is to monitor the campground power source. I was just making the statement that I haven't had any problems due to poor quality campground power.

What my dilemma really boils down to is.....even if the surge protector goes off, what are my options? With my campsite all set up with kids, dogs, wifey all having fun....and the power is cut in the Florida sun! I will call the campground office to complain......then remove the surge protector to get the A/C working again.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I use a surge guard primarily to protect the electronic components in the trailer in case of a voltage spike, just like I use surge protectors on my electronic components at home. These can occur if the power goes out and is suddenly restored, and can also be caused by lightning, regardless of the quality of your power source.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Stature: Costanzaesque

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , USA
Ok, I'll bite on this. I've never used one, so that in mind, recommendations? Thanks.

http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com
ratfarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfarker View Post
Ok, I'll bite on this. I've never used one, so that in mind, recommendations? Thanks.
http://www.technorv.com/mobile/Produ...e=PG-EMS-PT30C

Progressive - this is a link to their 30 portable. There's 30s and 50s, portable and hardwired. I went 30 portable. Bought from TechnoRV - I'm not affiliated but love their service and newsletters. Very happy with the product an that company.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Cumming , Georgia
@ CA Streamer, if I buy one that would be my rational.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I use one of these. It seemed to have the best spike rating (6500amps) and highest Joules rating (2450) for the price. Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp - TRC 34730-001-LCD - Surge Protectors - Camping World

On a side note, I also made a locking cable for it so I can lock it to the power post. Helps to deter theft as they are rather pricey.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:20 AM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew014 View Post
I understand it is to monitor the campground power source. I was just making the statement that I haven't had any problems due to poor quality campground power.

What my dilemma really boils down to is.....even if the surge protector goes off, what are my options? With my campsite all set up with kids, dogs, wifey all having fun....and the power is cut in the Florida sun! I will call the campground office to complain......then remove the surge protector to get the A/C working again.
You can also burn up your a/c compressor by trying to run it on low power. Pretty expensive to replace an a/c unit. The suppressor is a lot cheaper. Most campground owners can't/won't do much about their crappy power. We were camped at a state park and the power went out, took two days for it to get fully repaired. Had something to do with transformers and the feed line into the park.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Use one every time, just last weekend as the remnants of Andrew blew by while in Cape Cod the campground had a surge, those near me that had them were fine, but a few tripped some internal breakers with two folks loosing TV & Audio components.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Apparently I cursed myself!

VERY IMPORTANT - make absolutely sure the surge protector is well connected at the power post. My surge protector shut off 3 times in a half hour so I went to the office to complain. They looked at it and showed me some melting plastic on my surge protector. Apparently it was pushing away from the post an not fully engaged so it was arcing and that's what was shutting off the protector. Had to run to an RV place and get a replacement (Camco, not Progressive Dynamics...). I have this one strapped in with a tight bungee cord. Oh well. Still better than a day in the office :-)