Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Ok do you mean converter or inverter because batterys dont run a inverter. I am confused but it could just be me.
Converter makes 12 volt to 110 volts.
Inverter powers 12 volts systems and charges batterys.
It sounds like you have a charger and a inverter and a converter is this true?
Ok I didn't get my second cup of coffee and my brian was asleep I apologize
should have stayed in bed .........

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Lake Oswego , Oregon
And the answer is..............

Somewhere behind the walls a white 110v (I call it the gound) has contacted the skin or a frame member, uniting it with the 12v ground. I was able to isolate the offending wire with a continuity test. Fortunately, it was connected to a 110v outlet so I had easy access. Disconnected the wire, everything works great and I'm taking a break from maintenance for awhile. Well, except for the wheel bearing repack and brake check prior to next weeks road trip. 2,300 miles and 4 days on two racetacks.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you are familiar with AC wiring, please disregard the following, as I don't mean to offend...

Just a comment, but the wiring color code for 110 VAC and 12 VDC is not the same. Most people are familiar with auto 12v wiring, with red being +12 and black being ground. Did you follow standard AC wiring for the 110 VAC output, which is black is "hot", white is "neutral" and green or green/yellow stripe is safety ground?

If you have a 110 VAC white wire connected to the 12 VDC "chassis ground" (black wire), that is why you are getting shocked. Both black and white 110 VAC wires have voltage on them, and connecting the white wire to ground will probably result in the chassis floating on 110 VAC (a potentially serious safety/electrocution problem).

In a sense, on the 110 VAC wiring, both the black and white wires are "hot", since they alternate polarity, and neither should be connected to the "chassis". That is what the green or green/yellow striped wire is for.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but the 110 VAC output from even a small inverter can electrocute a person; and if you are unsure if you have a ground fault, you may wish to consult an electrician before having a serious accident.

Inverters are so common now that we forget that they are not like 12 VDC, which usually just throws a few sparks (unless you've ever seen a direct short, which makes things glow and smoke!). And, they can deliver a fatal shock, the same as sticking your finger in a wall socket at home.

Be safe...
Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If you have a 110 VAC white wire connected to the 12 VDC "chassis ground" (black wire), that is why you are getting shocked. Both black and white 110 VAC wires have voltage on them, and connecting the white wire to ground will probably result in the chassis floating on 110 VAC (a potentially serious safety/electrocution problem).

In a sense, on the 110 VAC wiring, both the black and white wires are "hot", since they alternate polarity, and neither should be connected to the "chassis".
That's what I was saying in my first post: "......why am I not dead?" I was never getting shocked and still don't understand that. Perhaps between the wood floors and rubber tires I was not getting grounded?