Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
This can't be normal?...

So I was out doing my "pre-flight" today preparing for a trip in the morning and I went to check the tire pressure levels. I handled the left side first with out issues than I sat down curb side, my butt on the grass when I went to remove the vavle cap I felt as though I was getting an electrical current thru me but didn't take much notice to it. Than I put my tire pressure gauge on the valve and it and my hand touched the center metal cap on the alloy wheel and I definetley got zapped with an electrical current thru me!
So now I'm experimenting by physically touching the center cap and no doubt as I'm grounding my body to the grass there is current going thru me. If I stand up on the concrete and try it again, nothing....
This can't be normal is it?
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
was the trailer plugged into shore power?

john
Old 11-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Yes it was.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
the cord you used (assuming you don't have a 30 amp rv outlet infront of your house!) reversed the polarity of the electrical system in the trailer.

-or- the outlet you plugged it into is wired wrong!

-or- you have a defective adaptor on the end of your shore power cord.

there is probably nothing wrong with your trailer. however, you need to fix/throw away the cord. or fix the outlet.

it is not normal and needs to be corrected.

inexpensive outlet testers sold at most hardware stores will aid in troubleshooting this.

john
Old 11-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think there was another thread like this...

was it "a shocking experience?" It was an owner with a MH. Turned out the outlet was wired incorrectly.
If not already, I'd unplug the trailer. If you have a generator, you can check for a polarity between the trailer and ground plugged into the generator and see if the same condition exists. DON'T USE YOURSELF AS THE TESTER!

Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Interesting!
I have the main AC cord that came with the trailer plugged into an extension cord (with an adapter) plugged into an outlet on the front porch.
I haven't damaged anything on the trailer have I?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
was it "a shocking experience?"
Yes it was!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime
So I was out doing my "pre-flight" today preparing for a trip in the morning and I went to check the tire pressure levels. I handled the left side first with out issues than I sat down curb side, my butt on the grass when I went to remove the vavle cap I felt as though I was getting an electrical current thru me but didn't take much notice to it. Than I put my tire pressure gauge on the valve and it and my hand touched the center metal cap on the alloy wheel and I definetley got zapped with an electrical current thru me!
So now I'm experimenting by physically touching the center cap and no doubt as I'm grounding my body to the grass there is current going thru me. If I stand up on the concrete and try it again, nothing....
First piece of advice, stop experimenting or you may end up dead.

Start with a Polarity checker. It will tell if you have an open ground, or reverse polarity. Is your front jack insulated from the ground, are your stabilizer jacks down? Was the grass damp? Could even come from the 12 volt side.

Because you are using an adapter I suspect that you are pluged into an ungrounded outlet. How many holes on the outlet you are plugged into two or three ? I suspect the supply as you have a new trailer. I also suspect you trailer was hooked to the TV still plugged into shore power. How old is your home ?

Good Luck

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark

Start with a Polarity checker. It will tell if you have an open ground, or reverse polarity. Is your front jack insulated from the ground, are your stabilizer jacks down? Was the grass damp? Could even come form the 12 volt side.

Jim
Well I just figured it out. It's the outlet on the porch! That's what my wife gets for using a handy man!
I plugged the extension into another outlet in the garage and problem solved.
So mean while my wife is freaked out that there is going to be a fire or something while I'm gone but considering that outlet has been there for a year.... It isn't going to cause a problem in the house is it?
More importantly it hasn't damaged my AS's electrical system has it?
Now she get's to have an electrician out to correct it.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Well I just figured it out. It's the outlet on the porch! That's what my wife gets for using a handy man!
I plugged the extension into another outlet in the garage and problem solved.
So mean while my wife is freaked out that there is going to be a fire or something while I'm gone but considering that outlet has been there for a year.... It isn't going to cause a problem in the house is it?
More importantly it hasn't damaged my AS's electrical system has it?
Now she get's to have an electrician out to correct it.
No fire. put tape over it and don't use it. He reversed the hot and netural. If everything is working your trailer should be ok.

Was the trailer hooked to the truck and all jacks up ?
Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark

Start with a Polarity checker. It will tell if you have an open ground, or reverse polarity. Is your front jack insulated from the ground, are your stabilizer jacks down? Was the grass damp? Could even come from the 12 volt side.

Because you are using an adapter I suspect that you are pluged into an ungrounded outlet. How many holes on the outlet you are plugged into two or three ? I suspect the supply as you have a new trailer. I also suspect you trailer was hooked to the TV still plugged into shore power. How old is your home ?

Good Luck

Jim
Sorry I didn't answer your questions.
Yes my front jack was insulated from the ground with a block of wood and the stabler jacks weren't down but now I'm hitched to my TV w/the cable plugged into my truck and I'm still on shore power.
The adapter does have a ground pin and the extension cord does as well plugged into a 3 pronged outlet that was added to the house.

Thanks for the help!

Greg
Old 11-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Sorry I didn't answer your questions.
Yes my front jack was insulated from the ground with a block of wood and the stabler jacks weren't down but now I'm hitched to my TV w/the cable plugged into my truck and I'm still on shore power.
The adapter does have a ground pin and the extension cord does as well plugged into a 3 pronged outlet that was added to the house.

Thanks for the help!

Greg
You became the ground path. Had you had the jacks down I doubt that you would of felt anything. Keep a polarity checker and keep it in the trailer, check an outlet in the trailer when you hook up at a campground this will keep you and your family safe.

Good Luck

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Funny thing is, if you can call it funny, I've used this outlet everytime since we got the AS 6 months ago! I usually don't check the tire pressure until I've turned the trailer around and we're ready to go that way I'm closer to the garage for the compressor. This time I dragged the compressor out on to the driveway.
So even though I am hitched with the plug connected to my TV and to shore power I haven't messed anything up with the TV or trailer?

Thanks for your help!

Greg
Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Interesting!
I have the main AC cord that came with the trailer plugged into an extension cord (with an adapter) plugged into an outlet on the front porch.
I haven't damaged anything on the trailer have I?

Thanks,

Greg
Hi, Jim Clark is right on track; More than likely a ground problem at your outlet. The little polarity checker is very simple to use / read and very inexpensive to purchase. A must for every trailer and house.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Jim Clark is right on track; More than likely a ground problem at your outlet. The little polarity checker is very simple to use / read and very inexpensive to purchase. A must for every trailer and house.

Bob
Yes I must get one ASAP!

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
For this you get a new nickname....Human fuse.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
For this you get a new nickname....Human fuse.
Thanks Milo!!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Yes I must get one ASAP!

Thanks,

Greg
every new a/s is delivered with a polarity checker, along with the silverware tray, soap dish, tp holder and so on...

it's a yellow 3 pronger, with a row of led lights.
has key stamped on it, for what the various light combinations indicate.

it should be in drawer somewhere and your sales person should have explained usage to you...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #19
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Will SOMEONE please answer his repeated question "did I do any damage to the electrical system?" (Cuz I wanna know too...)
Thanks,
JB
Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 PM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK
Will SOMEONE please answer his repeated question "did I do any damage to the electrical system?" (Cuz I wanna know too...)
Thanks,
JB
simple answer no.

trailer electrical systems use a floating neutral. that means that the neutral (white wires) is not connected to ground as it is in your house. when the neutral becomes the hot wire nothing happens until you plug an appliance that has a grounded neutral, then you can energize the skin of the trailer.

the absolute worse thing that could happen is the cord of a neutral grounded appliance would be damaged. the basic wiring in the trailer would remain unharmed.

john