Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Poway , California
Tail lights, heater, battery

We have a 1989 Excella
28 foot airstream

We are slowly restoring it. Presently we are looking for The original tail light lenses
Especially the clear center lens with the back up lens in it.
We need two of them.

Presently the water heater is working fine but we will need to Replace it eventually. Would like to find the exact replacement unit if it is still available somewhere
In other words… A drop in unit that doesn’t have to be modified

We need to replace The inverter converter battery charger for this 1989 make and model Or a replacement unit for this year make and model that can replace it a 110 charger with the ability to charge
12 V from the primary mover. And the ability to convert 110 to 12 V.

This battery charger is a sealed unit from the factory.

Perhaps someone knows where it can be
sent and reconditioned

Thank ,
Cecily & Leland

Sent from my iPhone
Cecily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
I am not sure what you mean by "inverter converter battery charger." My trailer had a heavy "univolt?" battery charger which I replaced with a much smaller modern "smart" charger. Smart chargers are supposed to increase battery life; I would not repair the heavy univolt even if it were possible.

My trailer does not have an inverter, a device that turns 12 volt DC into 120 volt AC to run household electrical items. Perhaps someone with a newer unit can comment. If you do have to replace the inverter make sure it has the capacity (watts) to power the items you intend to use AND that your battery can supply the current (amps) to power the inverter. I believe that there are many posts on that topic.

Good luck,

Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
1989 Excella 32 footer.

1989 32' Excella
Check , Floyd County, Virginia
re: Tail lights, Heater, Battery charger/inverter

Hi,
I have an 1989 32 foot Excella and it doesn't have the 12 to 120 volt AC in it either. The converter which we all have is not something to be kept or fixed. New ones that will handle newer types of batteries along with the regular types of RV batteries are better for the batts for sure.
As for the tail lights...If the lens are missing, it is going to be tough to replace.
My best guess is to wait to see what happens with your post on here to find one. Other than that, try some of the salvage yards like Colaw's ( https://www.colawrvsalvage.com/) or another RV type salvage yard. Give them a call and hope they may have something that'll work. The heater is another one of those stories. They are loud big time and obnoxious to listen too, but it is all we have for now. I am still in the process of looking for some way to replace mine with something a lot quieter and maybe a heat pump or whatever.

Wish I could help better, but it is all the advice I have right now.

N4MAV - FCC Call sign for Ham Radio
Russ Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Atwood 6 gallon gas WH is still avaliable and is a drop in replacement. You can fit the gas/electric in with a little extra effort. There is 1” difference somewhere between the dual and the gas only units. I replaced the Univolt converter with A Boon-docker converter from Best Converter in both my trailers. Pretty much a drop in replacement. The red charge light on the panel will not work with the new converter. Maybe there is a way to activate the red light if you read a lot of old Airstream posts or are a genius. I replaced my tail lights and backup lights with LED’s from Dan. The taillights work all the time now. And the backup lights are lots better.

I would not want the Univolt converter, reconditioned or not.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Poway , California
Thank you all!!!

Thank you all for responding! Fun to see this posting thing really works. Your information is helpful and appreciated!!!
Old 01-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eagle Point , Oregon
Tail lights

You can find all the lenses you need at this site.
http://www.led4rv.net/FindP_STT-Monarch.php
Also LED replacements that are much brighter and draw less current.
1976 Sovereign 31' CB Rear Twin towed 'on the ball'.
Retired Professional Truck Driver 4 million accident-free miles. Various combo's GCVW 105,000 lbs 105' length.
Olscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily View Post
We have a 1989 Excella
28 foot airstream

We are slowly restoring it. Presently we are looking for The original tail light lenses
Especially the clear center lens with the back up lens in it.
We need two of them.

Presently the water heater is working fine but we will need to Replace it eventually. Would like to find the exact replacement unit if it is still available somewhere
In other words… A drop in unit that doesn’t have to be modified

We need to replace The inverter converter battery charger for this 1989 make and model Or a replacement unit for this year make and model that can replace it a 110 charger with the ability to charge
12 V from the primary mover. And the ability to convert 110 to 12 V.

This battery charger is a sealed unit from the factory.

Perhaps someone knows where it can be
sent and reconditioned

Thank ,
Cecily & Leland

Sent from my iPhone
Welcome! I see this was your first post.

Randy at Best Converter is a forum member. Give him a call or email if you want some good advice regarding an exact replacement (with a better than original) converter. http://www.bestconverter.com/Ask-Randy_ep_18-1.html

Those backup or tail light lenses are not Airstream specific parts. I bought one at NAPA several years ago. Measure screw pattern and lens dimensions, then search. (check out Grote - NAPA part# GRO90481 replacement lens or similar by Peterson or E-Trailer.com)

The 6 gallon Atwood (now made by Dometic) water heater is still available. In the outside compartment there should be a placard with a model number.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Miami , Florida
I have many parts from a 2019...heater, electrical, mechanical parts. Janisii@yahoo.com
Janis33133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Poway , California
Thank you!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Poway , California
Thank you!