Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #1

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
austin , Texas
Systems monitoring and control

I'd like to ask if anyone from the community has researched and identified or built and installed an advanced system monitoring/control within their AS?

The reference which comes to mind is the integration commonly possible within home audio/video (Celestron etc.).

Tank monitoring, Temperature control, Communications signal strength, Audio/video etc. Would be the targeted solution.
jonathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Sugar Land , Texas
Jonathan,
I too am looking into this kind of system. I am restoring a 1964 overlander, and wired it for low voltage control to almost everything. I ran a few thousand feet of cable! Including cat5, coax, speaker cable, and home ran all the 12 volt lighting to a central point for controls. I am thinking about custom building a control system based on open source home automation software (Mister House) and an arduino micro controller or two. Heating and AC would also be controlled by this system. At least that is the idea. I had not seen any "RV" automation systems that combine everything. Most are separate components: tank monitors, charge controllers, tire pressure monitors, electric stabilizers, propane and fire sensors, etc. The benefit of most RV systems is that they are 12 volt, and consequently easier to control with relays and monitor.

I'd be interested to see if you find any other info, or if any one else has done anything similar. I've got some research on products, and the systems listed above if anyone is interested.

- Chris
cts2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sorry I can't help.... I use my eyes & hands to automate.