Old 01-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
It may be a year related item. My 75 has a true 3 way switch. It should have an extra terminal on it, versus a normal switch.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
It may be a year related item. My 75 has a true 3 way switch. It should have an extra terminal on it, versus a normal switch.

Aaron
All the rocker switches are still available from a dealer.

Airstream used SPST, single pole single throw, SPDT, single pole double throw, as well as some momentary switches.

Different years used different styles.

Andy

Old 01-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Ground side switch?

On the subject of switches......I was looking at my schematic and noticed that the step light is power to light to switch on a terminated switch line...which is why I put an insulated pad under the socket. I noticed the scare light (which I have not yet hacked into) is a straight power to switch to ground.

I am just curious is there any reason to switch one light on the power side and the other on the ground side, or is it just one of those pecularities of how it is done?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #18
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
On the subject of switches......I was looking at my schematic and noticed that the step light is power to light to switch on a terminated switch line...which is why I put an insulated pad under the socket. I noticed the scare light (which I have not yet hacked into) is a straight power to switch to ground.

I am just curious is there any reason to switch one light on the power side and the other on the ground side, or is it just one of those pecularities of how it is done?
I don't know why they did it that way either. Maybe they were trying to save 25 cents on wire? Who knows. The Scare Light is a large fixture with lots of surface area that rests against the skin of the trailer, maybe that has something to do with it. Large area=good gound, not likely to fail. The other two switches by the door both pull ground from the white ground wire that pulls throughout the entire trailer on my '73 as well.

I have traced all of the DC wire as part of my "Full Monty". If you look at the last few post here http://www.airforums.com/forum...-15132-26.html you can get a pretty good idea of where everything is (at least on the '73 Overlander).

JIm

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel

Just one of those "who knows why?"

A "good" reason is not to be found.

Andy
Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
AS Mystery Method

I had to hear it from an expert, though I thought that it would be another AS mystery. Maybe that is why I am enjoying this hobby. There are a few absolutes, but very few. As often many ways of doing the same thing and niether is truly incorrect.......Thanks Jim, Susan & Andy.