Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Surge/low voltage protector

While in Colorado this summer we lost a fan motor in our front AC/Heat pump unit due to low voltage, and I've decided to install a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C in our '08 Classic.

Anyone ever install one of these units in a late model Classic that can give me some info?

EMS-HW50C

The unit must be installed between the input connector on the side of the trailer and the breaker box which is located in the upper rear curb-side storage compartment. The wiring must be behind the black plastic box looking thing in the upper part of the side cabinet, but how does that come apart?

Thanks for any and all info.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have the free-standing unit that we plug inline. Given the surge protector's worst-case mission in life is to sacrifice itself to save the trailer, I'm guessing it's easier to replace this one if / when that finally happens: Amazon.com: Technology Research 11615 Surge Guard, 30 Amp: Automotive

We also bought a TRC voltage regulator, which we run in line with the surge protector. Voltage regulator is here, should you decide to add that as well: Amazon.com: Technology Research 10176 30 Amp Voltage Regulator: Automotive

The circuit goes like this: post to 30-amp extension cord to surge protector to voltage regulator to the cord that connects to the trailer. We generally position the surge protector and the voltage regulator under the trailer where it's far from obvious that we even have them, though we often put them on Lynx blocks to help ensure they stay above any water that might run under the trailer during a rainstorm.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use the portable version. Figure sooner or later it is going to get fried and it will be much easier to replace than a wired in version. I am currently using the TRC-34730.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Thanks for your input, but I need a 50 amp unit because our trailer has two A/C units and so needs 50 amp service, and I do not want to have to lug out yet another piece of equipment every time I set up.

As far as I can tell from the write-up on Amazon, the Technology Research equipment does not shut down and protect against low voltage, only surge.

Anyone install one of the wired in units in the area I'm considering?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
I've wired a 50 amp SurgeGuard into our 2007 34'.

On ours, the 50amp hookup is on the back, roadside corner, right under the closet beside the bed. What I did was crawl under the bed, open the compartment where the power feeds in and disconnect the wire from the external power socket. I then connected the existing wire to the output side of the SurgeGuard. I then took a short piece of new wiring and connected the external power socket to the input side of the SurgeGuard.

I mounted the remote display into the closet above this compartment and ran the wiring down into the below compartment.

If you want to get behind the black plastic cubby, I think (and I haven't tried this yet, but took a look at it awhile back, and this assumes yours is built like mine) that you can get into there by opening your closet, look up and you'll see that the wood across the top is held in place by a few screws. Unscrewing these should allow you to get up into that area. You may have to remove the clothes rod as well.....

Good luck.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Thanks for your input, but I need a 50 amp unit because our trailer has two A/C units and so needs 50 amp service, and I do not want to have to lug out yet another piece of equipment every time I set up.

As far as I can tell from the write-up on Amazon, the Technology Research equipment does not shut down and protect against low voltage, only surge.

Anyone install one of the wired in units in the area I'm considering?
They make 50 amp units too.

Quote:
Shuts off power when the following is present:
Open neutral
Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
If anyone is interested, my Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C unit came in today, and after looking at the interior of the breaker box, and where it is installed, this will be a snap.

The breaker box can be easily lowered, and this will give room directly above it to install the EMS-H50C unit, the existing power input cable can be swung over to the EMS-H50C and all I will need is a piece of #6/3 cable about 2 ft. long to run between the two boxes, and it's done.

This way it will always be in place protecting the trailers appliances, I won't have to plug in an extra box every time I hook up, and I won't have an expensive unit exposed for possible theft.