Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

2011 27 FB International
Oakton , Virginia
Surge Guard protectors with locking hasp

We purchased a portable Surge Guard protector, model 34750, with a locking hasp accessory. Has anyone experienced a problem with these devices in terms of being able to easily plug them into the power station for the RV park and having excessive power interruptions?

Also, regarding the hasp to protect the device from theft, it appears a thief could simply unplug the power cord from the RV camp receptacle and remove the surge guard and then unplug the power cord from the trailer. Maybe I don't understand how it works.

Any advice on their subject?

Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbarbee View Post
We purchased a portable Surge Guard protector, model 34750, with a locking hasp accessory. Has anyone experienced a problem with these devices in terms of being able to easily plug them into the power station for the RV park and having excessive power interruptions?

Also, regarding the hasp to protect the device from theft, it appears a thief could simply unplug the power cord from the RV camp receptacle and remove the surge guard and then unplug the power cord from the trailer. Maybe I don't understand how it works.

A thief can and will get anything he or she wants regardless of anti-theft device. That hasp is - I believe - supposed to have a cable lock looped through it and attached to the camp electric box. It couldn't take more than 30 seconds to snip it...

I have had no problems using it and I'm several cases, it has been a huge help in proactively managing power oriblems. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbarbee View Post

I've never stayed in a campground where theft has been an issue. Most accounts of theft from campsites that I've heard of are when someone pulls their rig around to the dump station, making it look like they've left and abandoned their gear. When they come back, their stuff is gone. I suspect that the best theft deterrent might just be a well-timed word to the neighbors in the adjacent campsites, saying "I'm going to the dump station. Watch my stuff, please." Especially if you reward them with a beer or three if you come back and all your stuff is still there.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Beer ?

Would that be a Turbo Dog or Abitia Spring ?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Would that be a Turbo Dog or Abitia Spring ?
Your choice, if you're buying. Beggars can't be choosers.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Here is what we did- the lock itself captures the surge guard- can't slip past the plug....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399152540.154719.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	773.7 KB
ID:	211146and we make the chain tight tough that it can't go over the electrical box. Does't prevent anyone from taking the power cord, but they would need bolt cutters to get the chain off and go with the surge guard,