Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Strange electrical problem

I just completed a cross country 10K mile trip. Everything worked fine. I have a 2015 27' flying cloud FB with dual air. We either had 30 amp, 50 amp, 20 amp or none. When adapted down to 20 amp to keep the refer running instead of using propane.

When I got home yesterday, I connected to 20 amp service at my shop as usual to maintain batteries. However, the trailer kept tripping the GFI at my shop connection.

I changed cords, inspected the connection, connected to a different 20 GFI in my shop, disconnected every 115V plug in the trailer, and it still trips the GFI. I have always been able to do this before. I have one more test to try. I will connect to the shop again with the breakers off in the trailer and turn them on one at a time to see if I can isolate the problem. Any thoughts or similar experience.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If some rain on the trip, you might check the outside shore power outlet. Moisture there could cause a trip. If you have an inverter, some of them bond neutral to ground when they are active. That could cause a trip. Check resistance from hot to ground and neutral to ground on the side of the 50A you are trying to adapt to 20A. Should show open circuit.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Another approach to tracking it down:

1) Set all the breakers in the trailer to "off"
2) See if it trips. (if so it's the cord or main plug)
3) Turn on the main breaker (if it trips, the problem is the panel)
4) Turn on a sub-breaker, see if that trips. (if so that's the line with the problem).
5) Shut off that breaker and go to the next one ( = main breaker stays on)

Cycle through steps 3, 4 and 5 until all breakers have been tried.

If it takes "a while" for the trip to occur, yes this could take a long time ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I only had a few minutes to start testing but this may be easier than I thought. All breakers off and when plugged into shore power the GFI in the shop trips. So it could be the port connection on the AS shell or the 50 to 20 adapter. More testing to follow.