Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois

I have a little plug in volt meter thing I got from CampingWorld just so I can monitor our electric situation at any time. I keep this permanently plugged into the most visible outlet, curdside outlet behind dinette cushion

It always comes in handy, especially in the summer when alot of people are using AC to run air conditioning. We've seen our voltage drop to as low as 100v, which we imediately turn off high draw appliances like the air conditioner.

The meter will definately tell you if you have your store/use switched flipped or not.

After turning on the propane tanks, the second thing I do prior to a trip is unlock, and flip switch to "use" and then I fire-up the fridge.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
120v and 12v

I have the same meter permanently plugged in as well.

However, when I plug in to shore power, I immediately get 120v on the meter and the red light on the store/use comes on. I have full use of all 120v outlets as well as all 12v appliances, lights, fans, etc. without touching the store/use switch. I think this is the correct function.

In fact, I have been toiling in the coach for the past couple of weeks without any batteries installed (they died) and still had full use of the converter (lights, fans, etc.) without even touching the switch.

My understanding is that the converter (120v to 12v) takes input from the 120v shore power to turn can't turn it off unless you flip the 120v breaker in the converter or unplug from shore. The store/use affects only the 12v side of the battery/converter operation.

Your coach is newer so you might have a different setup, but my wiring diagrams clearly show that mine is working as designed....I just never new (I should have, I'm an engineer??) that once the relay was de-energized, re-energizing the relay will be the only way to connect the charger current to the battery...plugging in does not automatically energize the relay.

It is really easy to verify, just flip your store/use to store, plug into shore, watch the red light come on, see your coach lights burn bright, microwave clock is on, measure battery voltage (~12.8v), flip switch to use, see battery voltage go to ~13+v.

If I'm wrong on this, somebody please correct me.

B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
charging from generator

A somewhat related question - you seem to imply that I can charge my batteries by hooking up my electrical plug to the airstream electrical plug and then making sure switch is in the use position rather than having to use the generator DC charging cables and hooking the gen directly to the batteries. This certainly would be a lot easier from a hookup perspective if I can get the same charge to my batteries regardless of method of hookup.

Does anyone know whether I can charge the batteries effectively by connecting my 30 amp plug from my generator directly to the trailer's 30 amp input plug?

bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yes, you can.

Turn your battery switch to "use" and plug in the trailer. The converter is designed to convert 110 to 12 volt power AND to charge the batteries.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Knoxville , Tennessee
My husband, recently deceased, used to take care of all the operations of the AS so I'm a little overwhelmed by all of this. I would appreciate any feedback on what settings I should use when towing...If I'm understanding the gist of these posts, the use/store switch should be set on use. Is that correct? Should the refrigerator be set on auto or on LP? I camped in the Smokies last weekend (no hookups)and discovered upon arriving that the batteries were depleted. What did I do wrong? Also, when I do have electrical hookups, I need to switch to 'use' that correct?

What else do I absolutely need to know? I haven't found the owners manual to be particularly helpful!

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can give.!
JDE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
The name of the "use" switch means exactly that. When ever the trailer is being used, that is towed, lived in or if the fridge is being used, the switch should be in the "use" position.

To charge the batteries from the generator or shore power, the "use" position is used. The generator plugs into the same outlet as does the shore power plug to charge the batteries.

We keep the fridge in the auto position and let it find the proper input, propane if soley on batteries or power if on some outside source of power, generator or shore. It should switch automatically without you worrying about it. However, its always a good idea to check the temperature on the outside readout just to make sure.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Crazylev, Good info.Thats how my 07 Safari responds.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks for the helpful info. It certainly made the weekend on the Blue Ridge Parkway much more comfortable!

JDE10 is offline   Reply With Quote