Old 11-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
"Store" Mode

Very frustrated here. After returning from our maiden voyage with our 27' AS and not being able to make it through the night with the batteries above 12 volts, I should not be surprised by my latest issue.

We just put our AS into storage and I knew the batteries would not last long even in "store" mode. However, after being away for 10 days, I returned to find the trailer batteries at 10 volts. I know all about the parasitic load of the CO detector and the belief that the inverter, even when not "on", draws some current, but what the hell is the purpose of "store" mode if you can't even make it a week in storage?? Why did Airstream even bother?? So, my batteries seems to last one day in "use" mode and just a few in "store" mode! Yes, I have replace the converter and I have had the batteries checked. I'm very disappointed because the battery circuit is not fit for the purpose.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You still have something wrong. Not sure what it is. At least in my older model the batteries are not connected to the converter when in store mode. I do not have an inverter. I guess you are saying the inverter is always connected to the battery circuit. If you have already replaced the converter in a 2017 I would be thing about if there is a problem in the wiring or the new converter. And if the batteries are just toast. So I would look for some sort of drain on the batteries and bad batteries. Or maybe charge it up and disconnect the grounds to the batteries and see if it does better. Actually if it drains good batteries in 10 days you should be able to see the load on a meter at the battery connection.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
If you have already replaced the converter in a 2017 I would be thing about if there is a problem in the wiring or the new converter.
The converter is working fine and charging the batteries to the proper level.

Quote:
And if the batteries are just toast. So I would look for some sort of drain on the batteries and bad batteries.
I've had the batteries tested and they are fine.

Quote:
Or maybe charge it up and disconnect the grounds to the batteries and see if it does better. Actually if it drains good batteries in 10 days you should be able to see the load on a meter at the battery connection.
Yes, I think I'll just add a battery disconnect and call it good. It is just a shame that you can't put an AS into storage for more than a week and keep the battery voltage over 12V without disconnecting the battery
Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
You could pull the fuse for the CO detector

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
North Port , Florida
Did you load test the batteries? Mine would do the same when in storage rather quickly, so I new the batteries had seen better days. I replaced my batteries and now after almost 2.5 months of storage I hit the switch and everything turned on. It's still on my to do list to install a true disconnect
Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
I wonder when Airstream installs the batteries. Do they sit there for months on the camper lot?

A better policy would be for the dealer to install the batteries when buyer comes to pick up the new trailer.

And having to change out the converter on a new trailer ... for shame, Airstream!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Make sure "TV" ''Cable" Amp is Off. and Inverter is Off. My new 2016 had 2015 Batteries that i had to replace two month's ago.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
. . .
Yes, I think I'll just add a battery disconnect . . .
. . .
You are in good company:

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...=airforums.com

Another necessary add-on which should be OEM!

Old 11-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
One could work through finding the load causing the draw.

Airstream chose to leave a few items connected around the battery isolator, an effort I am sure a lawyer recommended at some point.

I chose to re-wire those appliances to the switched side of the system to eliminate the problem.

The use/store solenoid is an effective disconnect, if one simply moves all the devices to the switched supply side.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I wonder when Airstream installs the batteries. Do they sit there for months on the camper lot?
Yes, and the unit is rarely plugged in.
When I bought the new 26, I tried to negotiate new batteries. I was told, "Your unit will be delivered with fully charged batteries." In other words, no way.
I decided even if I had to replace the batteries with equivalent Interstate wet cells, it wasn't worth walking away.
I'm planning on installing a kill switch in the battery box, and leaving a charger attached, the NoCo Genius 3500.
I'll lose the presets on the radio, but traveling, you look for new stations anyway.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post

The use/store solenoid is an effective disconnect, if one simply moves all the devices to the switched supply side.

JD
There are some anecdotal reports here on the forums that that the inverter, which is wired directly to the battery, does have a phantom draw even if the inverter is 'off.' I haven't verified this, going to go the battery-box marine shutoff switch route.

But if there is a draw from the inverter, wiring it to the other side of the store switch I *think* would be a bit complicated.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Here we go again....

I still suspect your converter...I would start by double checking the voltages at the converter with batteries connected, then disconnected against the converter schematic.

There is another thread on this currently going around...likely your batteries are bad caused by your stock converter from AS. 2017 and earlier models have a single stage converter in there, which is always charging full on when plugged in, unless you hit "store" mode on your AS. Interstate will check and replace your batteries, but the problem may re-appear unless you get a multi-stage converter installed....there are many of us who have done this over the past few years.
See this other thread...same problems I fear..
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ut-175152.html
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I still suspect your converter...I would start by double checking the voltages at the converter with batteries connected, then disconnected against the converter schematic.

There is another thread on this currently going around...likely your batteries are bad caused by your stock converter from AS. 2017 and earlier models have a single stage converter in there, which is always charging full on when plugged in, unless you hit "store" mode on your AS. Interstate will check and replace your batteries, but the problem may re-appear unless you get a multi-stage converter installed....there are many of us who have done this over the past few years.
See this other thread...same problems I fear..
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ut-175152.html
I am aware of the converter issue and have already replaced the converter with a multi-stage from Bestconverter.com. I don't believe the old converter damaged the batteries because we mostly boondock with solar and a generator when needed, so it is never plugged in for long.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
I am aware of the converter issue and have already replaced the converter with a multi-stage from Bestconverter.com. I don't believe the old converter damaged the batteries because we mostly boondock with solar and a generator when needed, so it is never plugged in for long.
FYI....my batteries are dated October, 2016, so they are a year old now.