Old 04-28-2002, 05:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
pompaneaux's AC problem

Tripp,
Even if you were hooked to 15 amp household current, your fan should have run on FAN, LOW, MED and HIGH until the cord got hot enough to shut off the breaker or ruin an internal part. My service manual suggests that you check for loose wires in the AC junction box inside the trailer. Drop the plastic cover of the A/C grill by removing the 4 screws visible on the bottom. The rectangular control box, now exposed, can be removed by removing a screw at either end. You can now pull the control box down for inspection of the wiring connections by removing the end plate from the control box. It could be that the wires have become disconnected or the switch has shorted out on those speeds. The BROWN wire goes to the cooling relay, BLACK to fan HIGH, BLUE to MED and RED to LOW speed. The manual says to remove wires from switch and check continuity by using an ohm meter ie. Off------All contacts open
HIGH---L1-1 and 2
MED----L1-1 and 3
LOW----L1-1 and 4

L1 is power, 1 is BROWM, 2 is BLACK, 3 is BLUE and 4 is RED.

Hope this helps. Don't electrocute yourself. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brett. I did not feel offended by what you said, but merely became defensive for at least a few good shops.
I have always believed that an informed Airstream owner, is a smart owner. Who knows how many seminars, bull sessions at rallys, and writings that I have been involved with. Hundreds, I am sure, all in an effort to educate.
Establishing a rapport with an Airstream owner is desireable, but not always achievable. Fortunately, most owners express what they need in service, expect a short reasonable explanation of what is involved, and at least a rough estimate of labor and the materials that may be needed.
Many years ago, the vast majority of Airstream owners said, "don't bother with the details, just fix it." Over time, that has changed. Most owners are no longer intimidated with the product, so they attempt the repairs themselves. I personally think that's great, and I don't mind expending some of our time and resources to assist. But there are times, that I am sure you can appreciate, that you have to draw the line. Enough becomes enough, especially when you offer an 800 number, as we do.I receive at least one call a week, from someone who has bought a used Airstream from some individual, who asks to be taught what everything is on, or in the coach, and how do they work it.
Suggesting that they get an owners manual and service manual, seldom appeases that person. They want to know NOW!!!!
Your a dealer, it's your responsibility to teach me!! Hello, where in the world does it say that?
Unfortunately, the image of the typical Airstream owner has been tarnished over the years, by the select few. It is those that are a problem for all of us. They are not happy with the product, or the Airstream factory. They are not happy with any dealer, who would dare charge them for any repair, or even suggest that they may need an appointment for service. They are not happy with any labor charge, and even go so far as saying, "you mean you have to make a profit on parts?" They are not happy with the WBCCI or Vintage clubs, they don't like the way rallies are run, and object to rally fees. If they go on a caravan, they don't like their assigned number, and insist on passing everyone, so that they can be "first", not having in mind how many lives they have endangered with that kind of antics.
However, thanks to folks like you, we all keep our heads level, work together, and enjoy the business relationship and fellowship, that comes with "Airstreaming."
Andy

Old 04-29-2002, 10:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Andy-

With all due respect, perhaps there is a reason why people are not happy with the WBCCI and the way the rallies are run (see the thread "Next Motorhome Rally(s)" in The Rally Zone section).

There ARE two sides to every issue and we all need to just take things in perspective. Unfortunately, unlike the consumer, the repair shop owner has limited recourse when he encounters a bad customer. There is no "better business bureau" to complain to or to take action. Picketing a person's house won't do any good. (I, for one, have picketed a repair shop!) So, I do feel for your situation.

I just wanted to say, though, that I'm sure I speak for A LOT of people when we say "THANK YOU" for all the advice you have given. I do respect your knowledge and the generosity you have shown this forum and others.

-Emily
Old 04-29-2002, 12:57 PM   #18

To Andy

Andy, I was one of the folks that called you last week, because I had just bought an old airstream and had no idea of what some things were and were they were and how to turn them on. I'm sorry if you felt like I wanted to know everything now and if I somehow made you feel like I was unappeased. I was'nt. I understood that you run a business and phone repair advice is taking your time from running a real business. I called because someone posted your name and number and said that you were a wonderful person to ask such questions and that if anyone could help it was you. You did answer many of my questions and I understood why you did not want to give me a 3 hour lecture on how airstreams work. That is why I have posted on this website in order to get some help from airstreamers. Thanks to all of you who have helped in this repair section of this website. And to Andy I'm sorry for creating a thread on this website that has indeed caused you even more grief. I did not mean to, just wanted to ask some questions and maybe get some input from those willing to give some. My fault, sorry again, Tripp
Woodville, Mississippi, and again thanks so mush to all of you above who have helped.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have been reading the various Airstream sites for about 6 months now and I must say that the two names I see most are Hunter and Andy. I must say that both of the people have done a lot to promote Airstream.

I have learned a great deal from what Andy has to say, he is helpful and I am glad that he dose answer questions. I am also very happy that he has a stock of hard to get parts. It is my choice to buy or not to buy from him but when you need a part you need it. I posted a question about a awning on the VAC parts wanted list and someone from INLAND called me to try and sell me a awning, I picked his brain and decided that I would wait. Some may consider that aggressive marketing I think it was good marketing. I am glad Andy is willing to risk his money and time to be in the Airstream Business and the bonus of him sharing his knowledge is icing on the cake. I see it as Win Win.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Tripp,
We are all here to help you. Believe me, the service manual will help you understand why you do things in the owners manual. There will be areas that you do not understand and forums like this will help you. I understand Andy's point of view on the 800 line but in my case he told me to call and then I bought parts to get my trailer on the road. I was lost at that point but was quickly informed. I'm sure there will be other times I will talk with Inland RV and continue buying parts from them as well as other dealers. Don't stop asking the questions because there are plenty of knowledgable individuals on the board. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 11:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
To Emily, Pompaneaux, Jim and Craig, and many others.
Thanks to very nice people like you, you didn't make my day, but you certainly made my month.
Thanks for the friendly comments.
Inland RV Center, and I, will continue, as we have in the past, to fill that huge void, by helping when we can, and to provide many of those "vintage parts."
Regards to all.
Andy
Old 12-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #22

1985 34' Limited
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Excella
Tripp,
To get a copy of an owners manual and service manual contact Helen Davis at Secretarial Services, PO Box 484, Sidney, OH 45365 (937) 492-8885.

John
Thank you for posting this information on the service manual.
The owners manual wasn't much for "digging in" and being brand new to this new world I was apprehensive about some issues I face with purchasing a 85 model.Thanks again
Seasons Greetings
randy
Old 06-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Just to update the info here, I called Secretarial Services and asked for Helen, and was given the unfortunate and awkward news that she has passed away. But Secretarial Services still provides the owners and service manuals. The address and phone number are the same but it is now operated by
Dale and Shirley Duke. Dale also said they have a website - Home
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Tripp,

I have read this thread twice, and I still don't know what year your trailer is.

Would you please post that information again, please?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Tripp,

I have read this thread twice, and I still don't know what year your trailer is.

Would you please post that information again, please?
Its from 02 i don't think he ever responded.