Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Starting problem Honda EU2000i

Have a Honda EU 2000i and the companion generator. Companion starts. The other EU 2000i does not. Other than checking the plug what can I do to get it started?

I have not run the problem generator for probably a year. There is old E10 gas in it. When I get them running I will put a little Lucas gas treatment in. I should have ran them dry at the end of last season, but did not.. I know gas without ethanol is a better choice, but it's hard to find.

Should I do anything with the carburetor. Please be specific.
Hopefully it will start tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Have you checked to make sure there's enough oil in it? Not enough oil will make it not start.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Have you checked to make sure there's enough oil in it? Not enough oil will make it not start.
Did not check the oil yet but will tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
As you've discovered, these Honda generators are very sensitive to even small amounts of varnish clogging the fuel metering orifice and this can occur if you don't run the generator for a while and allow the fuel in the carburetor to evaporate. You don't actually have to run the generator dry; you can loosen the drain screw at the bottom of the carb which allows the fuel in the carburetor bowl to empty out before storing the unit.

I discovered this the hard way when one of my Hondas would only run (and very poorly at that) when fully choked and it took a lot of pulls to get it started. There was so little fuel getting through the orifice that only by restricting air flow drastically would the mixture allow for running at all. I mixed Techron concentrate into the fuel and ran the generator for several hours, gradually opening the choke bit by bit until the orifice was cleaned and the generator ran normally un-choked.

If you can't start your generator at all, you may need to remove and disassemble the carb and try to clean the fuel orifice although I've heard that in some cases a new carb is required. Good luck.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question This worked....

....on a neighbors Honda mower.

Dump the old gas, open the float drain, fill with fresh e-free and a little SeaFoam.

It should start with a couple squirts of starting fluid, once it starts a couple times & stalls, Stop....don't keep it running on the fluid. Put some gas & Seafoam in a spray bottle and spray into the carb, spray enough to keep it running....after about 10min of running rough the mower was back to normal.

Worth a try with the genset.

Other than that it's remove the carb & clean.

Bob
Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
....on a neighbors Honda mower.

Dump the old gas, open the float drain, fill with fresh e-free and a little SeaFoam.

It should start with a couple squirts of starting fluid, once it starts a couple times & stalls, Stop....don't keep it running on the fluid. Put some gas & Seafoam in a spray bottle and spray into the carb, spray enough to keep it running....after about 10min of running rough the mower was back to normal.

Worth a try with the genset.

Other than that it's remove the carb & clean.

Bob
+1. My thoughts too. Seafoam, the miracle cure.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You can try sea foam, but it likely won't unclog the small holes in the carb fuel feed line based on how the carb is configured (at least it didn't on mine).

Best to just take 30 minutes, pull apart the carb, soak/clean with carb cleaner, re-assemble and you will be off to the races.

Basic maintenance that you should do once a year anyways...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If the proffered methods don't get you running, it is a fairly simple and inexpensive task to replace the carburetor altogether. The 2000 series uses the GX100U engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hond...M/221994007456

While you are at it, you should also change out the fuel filter which is likely clogged or at least providing reduced flow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hond...-/321975125365

How to:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/6eovXyTHZvM

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Had similar last fall. First, fresh gas. If the gas in there is a year old, it's gotta go. Chances are that will get it running after a few pulls to get it to the carb. Next get some spray sea foam, comes with a really long straw. Take the cover off the air filter, thread the straw behind the air filter down the inlet to the carb, keep the filter itself in place. While the generator is running, spray sea foam just until the generator is about to die. Do that 3-4 times. The smoke will turn white. Then while running again spray seafoam until the generator dies. Let it sit for about 30 min. Restart and repeat spray until dies 3-4 times.
Then add some seafoam additive to the fuel and run for a while.
I always add a little seafoam liquid additive and fuel stabilizer when I fill the tank now. Even if I'm going to use it pretty quickly.

If the oil is a year old that ought to get changed too. Full synthetic recommended if you don't run it regularly. Also if you don't run it regularly give the pull a few pulls before moving switch to on to lubricate the engine a little.

Seafoam got mine purring with some use.

Seafoam spray(so you know what to look for) should be available at big auto stores:
https://thetoolcrate.com/products/se...ube-12-oz-tube

Seafoam additive:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Foam-...&wl13=&veh=sem
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Search You Tube...Honda Generator 2000 Carb.

There are multiple videos showing how to clean the carb.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have lots of gas powered equipment. Saws, cutters, weed eaters, generators, tiller and lots of mowers. Since I started only using ethanol free gas a few years ago I have not had a single issue with a carb getting gunked up or an engine not starting. Folks in my neighborhood know I can fix mowers. Always the same issue, fouled carb due to ethanol fuel sitting in them. I tell them I'll fix it once but if you keep putting ethanol fuel in it I won't clean it again. It is well worth the effort to find an outlet that sells ethanol free gasoline. I also put some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in every can of fuel. Sure I will use it in my big mower in a week but I also might pour some in my generator and it may sit for 6 months so it is best to treat all the gasoline I buy. Yes it does cost more per gallon and takes a little time but it is way better than having to take carbs off and clean them.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Cleaning the carb is not a big deal and should fix the problem.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ethanol is particularly hard on carburetors, especially these small engine ones. I put an additive that neutralizes the ethanol a cap each tank fill up. My guess, you need either a complete clean of carb or replacement.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
DON'T PUT ETHANOL IN ANY SMALL ENGINE. The carb is toast and needs cleaning. I have gone ethanol free and have very few carb problems now. You should have to clean 4 carbs on a motorcycle after that stuff has ruined the carbs. It also rusts the tank.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
One often overlooked maintenance item in the Honda 2000i is the spark arrestor in the muffler. It is a cylinder shaped screen in the inlet to the muffler. It can build up carbon deposits and cause too much back pressure in the engine. Only takes a few minutes to get it out and clean it. It is on my annual maintenance check list. All these little issues can add up...
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2003 22' International CCD
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Drain the carb and fuel tank. If the gas is over a couple of months old, it will be hard to start or not at all. Fresh gas almost always fixes the problem.
Try this prior to disassembly.
AzAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
One often overlooked maintenance item in the Honda 2000i is the spark arrestor in the muffler. It is a cylinder shaped screen in the inlet to the muffler. It can build up carbon deposits and cause too much back pressure in the engine. Only takes a few minutes to get it out and clean it. It is on my annual maintenance check list. All these little issues can add up...

Be sure to pick up a gasket first. It's super thin and fragile. Tore mine this spring removing the arrestor manifold. Fortunately the tear was around the mount stud and not the open so I reused it.

When looking for ethanol free, in Canada at least, the highest grade at a tri-grade pump is almost always ethanol free.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Do not use starting fluid!! It's bad gas, 99,99% sure. It may clear if you use a carb cleaner solution! It often needs to work over night to clean the varnish etc. Good advise here, use premium no ethanol gas and I use sea foam if in the gas if it's going to be sitting a while. If it doesn't work, take it to a deal to clean the carb etc.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Have a Honda EU 2000i and the companion generator. Companion starts. The other EU 2000i does not. Other than checking the plug what can I do to get it started?

I have not run the problem generator for probably a year. There is old E10 gas in it. When I get them running I will put a little Lucas gas treatment in. I should have ran them dry at the end of last season, but did not.. I know gas without ethanol is a better choice, but it's hard to find.

Should I do anything with the carburetor. Please be specific.
Hopefully it will start tomorrow.
I'm sure you checked it, but I've been the victim of this before, have you checked the gas cap vent open?
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Oh. That's a good one. That's *never* happened to me. Just like I've never forgotten to connect the fuel line to my outboard.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote