Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Sport 16 electrical questions

New owner of a 2018 Sport 16, with 2-90 watt solar panels. A couple of electrical questions i have received conflicting answers on.
1- If we are parked, still connected to tow vehicle, should we disconnect the trailer connection to the tow vehicle to eliminate the possibility of running down the car battery?
2- I am assuming we need a surge protector and A/S doesn't have one build in. Any suggestions on types and brands?
I like the idea of a built in but wouldn't be difficult to see the codes/lights as the easiest place to add it would be under the dinette seat with the solar controller, etc.
Very new to this and at the start of the learning curve.
Thanks!
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Some tow vehicles will not allow current that charges the trailer battery to flow through the trailer connector unless the ignition switch is on. Check your owner's manual or ask your dealer. Mine does this, but I still unplug when I remember it.

There are energy management systems that can be mounted in a hidden location, which have a remote display connected by a data cord.
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c

ps:
The easiest place to install the EMS is close to the existing power cord connection to the distribution panel.

There may be space directly behind the distribution panel. (thinking about mine, not knowing about yours)
Old 06-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Progressive Industries makes good quality surge protector/Electrical Management Systems. (an EMS does more than a surge protector; it also disconnects power when the voltage is to high or low; this protects your air conditioner and other devices, especially on hot days at a crowded RV park.)

We first had a Surge Guard brand external device. It's contacts were worn out after using it a dozen times, so we replaced it with a Progressive model.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Progressive EMS

Thanks for the feedback. I still like the built in unit and installation seems straight forward. I need to find a place large enough with enough space to make the connections. Thanks again.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote