Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
burbank , California
sport 16 damaged 7 way cable

Hello I am a brand new airstreamer. just picked up our sport 16 this last Thursday. Unfortunately I though that it would be a good idea to have the dealer fit a tow bar as I wasn't sure if I needed a drop or raised ball. The guy measured my hitch receiver and said looks like you need a 1" lift or just a straight bar. then he went into the parts dep and came out with 4" drop bar. I thought it was strange but figured the guy probably knew what he was doing. Maybe that was the only one they had around ? Anyway long story long. the umbilical 7 way cord was dragging on the ground all the way home needless to say its destroyed. half the cables inside the wire are cut in half and all mangled up. Still dealing with the dealership but they are not super help full so far. really sucks. Anyway just wanted to ask how big of a deal is this to repair . should I make them fix it for giving me the wrong type of hitch bar ? or just splice in a junction box. just from looking at it doesn't seem that easy to pull a new cord through the frame into the coach.
lostbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The only real way to fix it is to replace the cable. That goes double on a brand new trailer. Triple when it's a dealer error. The cable it's self is pretty cheap. The install takes a bit of fiddling. It's not rocket science or something they need all day to do. Best guess is that you could do it in 30 minutes or so. Figure 1.5 billable hours. Cable is less than $100 no matter where it's from. On Amazon it's about $30 to $40.

Sounds like they didn't do a very good walk through when they delivered the trailer. They *should* have gone over the lash up and what to check when hooking up. It should have been caught at that point. A proper walk through takes at least an hour and maybe closer to three hours if you ask a lot of questions ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
burbank , California
Yeah I figured out how to disconnect the cable . The dealer is going to give me a new one. going to go pick it up. they did not do a good walk through. should make them fix it but i don't want to tow it back with no working lights.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
burbank , California
what is this black goop they use to seal the holes? just wondering so i can reapply after I pull the cable out
Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbots View Post
what is this black goop they use to seal the holes? just wondering so i can reapply after I pull the cable out
Hi

If you are doing the work, let them give you a can !!!

Lowes or Home Depot are your friends for that sort of stuff if they don't. There are a couple of different brands of roof sealer. The key is that you want one that is not going to react with aluminum. That's why I'd get it from the dealer.

Bob
Old 10-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Suwanee , GA
Make them fix it...
But they'll say you being the owner should have done your own walk around. Being new as I was 1 year ago. Slow down, take a second look and check all that apply when towing. Especially tires.
My habit also is testing running lights beforehand
Welcome aboard...
Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
As far as I'm concerned, that dealer owes you a NEW Airstream (or a FULL refund, his choice). Let said dealer worry about any repairs.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
burbank , California
thanks guys. Yeah put a little to much faith in the dealer sending me off on a good foot. I'm learning a lot pretty quickly though lol.

I'm going to stop at the dealer tomorrow morning and return this hitch that is the wrong size and pick up the new cable. I will also ask for a can of sealant .
Old 10-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I've noticed this a lot more than I should lately, and thought I'd ask. I must be missing something somewhere.

WHY is the answer to a mistake that cost a $20 electric cord a replacement trailer?
There isn't a court in the land that would rule in favor of that.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

^
X2

More than a couple threads with this happening....posted this pic a few times.

The Zip-Tie has been replaced with a 12' Velcro cable tie.

If it makes 'ya feel better, we also drug our cord all the way home from the dealers...I just replaced the plug end.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 018.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	637.8 KB
ID:	297536  
Old 10-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The connections on my 7 pin plug seemed to be getting a bit dodgy - would sometimes have to wiggle the plug around quite a bit to get decent contact for all wires.

As well, I was obliged to use an extension (maybe 18" long) from Hensley because the Hensley increases the distance between your trailer and tow vehicle and the original cable was too short.

Recently I decided to fix this - replace tye bad plug and eliminate the extension - and I found a decent looking molded plug and cable combination with the correct gauge wires on sale at Northern Tools.

Trouble is it was 8 ft long - not long enough to get right back into the trailer under the sofa where the terminals are located. Also it looked like a bit of a pain to do that anyway.

So I cheated a little. On our Classic 30 there is a small outdoor storage box between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer which we have never used other than to store a few bits of wood.

I cut the original cable back and routed it into that box via a driled hole and suitable grommet, then used a weatherproof junction box inside that storage box to splice in my new cable via a secnd drilled hole and grommet.

Even with that degree of weather protection, I used weatherproof crimp connectors with hot glue and shring tube. I installed them using a proper ratchet crimping tool rather than the $5 specials so as not to damage the connectors and to hopefully ensure a reliable connection.

Used the trailer once since and all seems fine - if I ever need to change the plug again it will be simple.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Watch out changing older 7-pin harnesses!Airstream didn't use the same color code harness that is standard now.Have an electrician match the colors ( functions)with the factory terminals.Mine were NOT the same.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
I don't know why it wasn't noticed before pulling away - I guess it was excitement of the event.

When I went to pick up my used AS, the cable was a bit too short for the big dually pickup, and a sharp right turn would pull the plug out of the socket. A well-placed bungee cord kept it from dragging on the ground until I (in the chase car) could phone the pickup driver to stop and reconnect. It's effective and cheap.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As has been mentioned in other threads, a lot of this is a cascade of errors rather than a single event. That is a very common thing. One of the most basic solutions is to have two people do the checks. If you don't have two people, stop after the first check and do something else. Check your email on the phone. Program the GPS for your route. Do something that gets your mind off what you just did. Then go back and recheck everything.

Indeed this is a "do as I say" and not a "do as I do" kind of thing. I have multiple examples where this rule was overlooked and there were "issues". So far I don't have any examples of issues when this process was followed.

Bob
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbots View Post
Hello I am a brand new airstreamer. just picked up our sport 16 this last Thursday. Unfortunately I though that it would be a good idea to have the dealer fit a tow bar as I wasn't sure if I needed a drop or raised ball. The guy measured my hitch receiver and said looks like you need a 1" lift or just a straight bar. then he went into the parts dep and came out with 4" drop bar. I thought it was strange but figured the guy probably knew what he was doing. Maybe that was the only one they had around ? Anyway long story long. the umbilical 7 way cord was dragging on the ground all the way home needless to say its destroyed. half the cables inside the wire are cut in half and all mangled up. Still dealing with the dealership but they are not super help full so far. really sucks. Anyway just wanted to ask how big of a deal is this to repair . should I make them fix it for giving me the wrong type of hitch bar ? or just splice in a junction box. just from looking at it doesn't seem that easy to pull a new cord through the frame into the coach.
Hi lostbots,

Congratulations on your new Airstream. We're saddened to read about what happened and are looking into it. Please let us know if you need additional assistance getting the cable replaced.