Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #1

1983 30' Airstream 300
Liverpool , New York
Speedometer

Hoping that someone can help- I have a 1983 Airstream 300 that is in need of a speedometer or speedo repair. Does anyone have a suggestion? I am looking for the same one that I have because all of the other gauges still work and I want them to match. It looks to be a very basic speedo- I have seen this style before but I do not know the manufacture of the gauge. If there is not a matching speedo availible I would also like information on if anyone has a contact that may be able to rebuild the existing one. Can anyone identify the manufacture of this by chance?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	114974  
cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
APT instruments can fix your existing one. I've had great service from them on several repairs.

APT Instruments International Inc
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
www.custominstrumentpanels.com should have what you need.

When mine went bad our local speedo shop told me these particular type of speedo's are sealed in a way that you have to destroy it to get it apart.

There's a picture of new speedometer I bought in a thread titled 'Speedometer Source", on page 1 of the Classic Motorhome section here.

As far as matching goes be advised the only thing I discovered with new speedo is now the face of tach is obviously showing it's age and was not noticeable before.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Speedomoter repair help needed

The "Teleflex" speedometer in my 1991 350LE has become erratic in even loosely predicting mph! Further, the odometer has ceased to revolve!
Sent gauge off for repair (not to any one of the links provided on the Forum but at least they dismantled the unit and found that the odometer drive worm cog was stripped (surprise) and that drum drive was similarly beyond repair.
I or they have been unable to locate spare parts or ever hopefully a replacement speedometer so I'm turning to Forum members for help as I would really like to keep the instrument gauges original as is the rest of the coach. So fitting a GPS driven unit is not the answer
An "as new" gauge did appear on Ebay but seems the Louisiana supplier has literally gone under water!..
Anyone know of who has spare parts or complete gauges for sale. In the meantime, I'll chase the two repairers mentioned in the Forum. Thanks Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speedo.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	283757  
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/newpage2.htm
xls532203" speedo / odo (mech) 0-85mph w/trip odo. gm cable $136.59
That is where I bought mine, the original ones needle was bouncing and it was only 5 main digits.
The new one is 6 + tenths and a trip meter.
BTW, I asked if they would preset the odometer to match my original, but they would not do it.
Make sure what fitting is on the back of your original unit, I think some use an adapter going to the cable.

PS: taking the dash out to do the swap is a bear of a job, lots of wires and hoses and other things. Here is a link to what I dealt with in my 84 dash
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/ai...d_Rebuild.html
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Dead End Gauge Hunt!

Wayne..thnaks for your referral to Custom Instrument but after speaking with Mac, determined that the original speedometer or parts are no longer available so that's now a dead end!
Mac suggested the Issbro R8495 as a replacement however, as you can see it's face is nothing like the original. After viewing the "how to" video to replace all dash instruments, I'd rather not even contemplate a wholesale matching gauge change!
Still this might be my only option unless there is someone out there who wishes to donate a slightly used speedometer or happened to find one in it's original box under their grandfather's bed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R8495-lg.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	284128  
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraw View Post
Wayne..thnaks for your referral to Custom Instrument but after speaking with Mac, determined that the original speedometer or parts are no longer available so that's now a dead end!
Mac suggested the Issbro R8495 as a replacement however, as you can see it's face is nothing like the original. After viewing the "how to" video to replace all dash instruments, I'd rather not even contemplate a wholesale matching gauge change!
Still this might be my only option unless there is someone out there who wishes to donate a slightly used speedometer or happened to find one in it's original box under their grandfather's bed!
I think I still have my original, but it was not working very well. The needle was bouncing a lot. I think I opened it up to see if there was anything I could do with it. Anyway, if you strike out, you can have it.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Eureka!!!

Wayne..after an extensive global search, I was able to locate a pristine, out of the box original Teleflex speedometer. Sent it to Kincer for checking who had to do a "can opener" deal to access the innards which checked-out. Will send final post when installed and operative. The whole idea behind this is to show the next owner exactly how many miles were logged since the engine was overhauled which unfortunately is so often undocumented. Here is a pic of new and old.
Thanks again for response
Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new speedo.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	285435  
Old 05-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Looks good.
Make sure to not over tighten the mounting bracket because it could warp the guts of the speedometer.
I found that most of the stuff in my dash was held on with hot glue. When I rebuilt it, I used a high temp hot glue gun and it got it done.