Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Sparks flew!

Changed out our RV Marine batteries today. Glad we are still here to write about it. We unplugged from shore power..disconnected the batteries and drove to Alpine from Marathon, TX to NAPA to retrieve 2 new ones. Going into Big Ben and our batteries have had their fair share of wear.

Get back and start putting them in.. I stupidly touched the positive cable to metal and sparks flew. Yipes! Then we go over to the next one and I let the cable touch the battery door...sizzle again..yikes! Then we used our kill storage switch which I dont know that worked but they are in. How do you do this safely?

My nickname is Kat..think I used one of my nine lives today..hehe!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
When connecting and disconnecting Batteries here a simple rule :
ALWAYS disconnect the negative first, then disconnect the positive second. When reconnecting, connect Positive first , then negative second.

Reason: Negative is connected to the Chassis / shell, so if you mess with the positive first and your wrench slips, you might touch the positive and the chassis at the same time, therefore shortening out your Battery.

Be more careful next time and be glad, you can still write here, as i have seen batteries explode..

hopes this helps

Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This is what I do for safety.

1. Wear safety goggles.

2. Remove any metal on your hands or wrists, such as watch, rings, bracelets. I wear a medic alert bracelet which is very hard to remove, so I put a wrap of duct tape around it.

3. Do not have the converter/charger on. If in doubt, simply unplug the rig from line power.

4. Put the batteries in place physically. If any danger of metal contacting the terminals while doing this, put tape over the + terminal of both batteries.

5. Connect one of the + cables to the untaped + terminal, carefully pulling the tape off as you bring them together if you had to tape the terminal for physical installation.

6. Connect the second + cable to the second + battery terminal.

7. Connect the negative cables to the negative terminals, watching that you don't get the wrench near the + terminal of either battery. Cover all but the end of the wrench in tape if you have any doubts.

Then it is safe to plug the rig in and turn the power converter on.

To remove batteries

1. Do steps 1-3 above

2. Reverse the order, that is remove the negative cables first, then the positive ones.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
When changing batteries on any thing always remove negative battery cable first from the battery. Then make sure it cant spring back and touch the negative terminal it just came from .Then remove the positive cable. Assemble in reverse order, positive first then the negative last (even multiple batteries like golf carts) always wear safety glasses and gloves . Batteries create hydrogen gas that can explode the battery case!
trust me i know!
Tip.... When replacing new batteries those little red and black plastic covers that should come on the terminals can allow safe installation until the battery is fastened down then remove the cap as you install each cable as above. hope this helps !
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Gosh we were lucky today as rookies. Thanks for all the input. Better go buy a lottery ticket.

Next time I attempt something I will be here first.

Thanks again

Kat
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
not always

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
This is what I do for safety.

1. Wear safety goggles.

2. Remove any metal on your hands or wrists, such as watch, rings, bracelets. I wear a medic alert bracelet which is very hard to remove, so I put a wrap of duct tape around it.

3. Do not have the converter/charger on. If in doubt, simply unplug the rig from line power.

4. Put the batteries in place physically. If any danger of metal contacting the terminals while doing this, put tape over the + terminal of both batteries.

5. Connect one of the + cables to the untaped + terminal, carefully pulling the tape off as you bring them together if you had to tape the terminal for physical installation.

6. Connect the second + cable to the second + battery terminal.

7. Connect the negative cables to the negative terminals, watching that you don't get the wrench near the + terminal of either battery. Cover all but the end of the wrench in tape if you have any doubts.

Then it is safe to plug the rig in and turn the power converter on.

To remove batteries

1. Do steps 1-3 above

2. Reverse the order, that is remove the negative cables first, then the positive ones.
This is good advice for batteries in parallel but not 6V batteries in series.
If using 6v golf cart batteries take a picture and reconnect using the picture.