Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Source for Glass Screw-in Fuses

Anyone aware of a source for the old 12 volt screw-in glass fuses used in the two circuit ceramic fuse block in a 1960 Overlander? My box of spares is MIA after two moves.

Alternately, is it an easy conversion to a more modern fuse panel using either automotive glass tube or blade type fuses? My 12 volt is all original, no AC or appliances using electric. One circuit for all the lights and the roof fan. One for the pump for the pressurized water system.

I researched here before posting but didn't find anything on the fuse blocks from this vintage. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by glang58 View Post
Anyone aware of a source for the old 12 volt screw-in glass fuses used in the two circuit ceramic fuse block in a 1960 Overlander? My box of spares is MIA after two moves.

Alternately, is it an easy conversion to a more modern fuse panel using either automotive glass tube or blade type fuses? My 12 volt is all original, no AC or appliances using electric. One circuit for all the lights and the roof fan. One for the pump for the pressurized water system.

I researched here before posting but didn't find anything on the fuse blocks from this vintage. Thanks in advance.
Are these like the old house fuses, or something else again?
Replacing the fuse panel is pretty easy, esp. for two circuits - I'd likely use two circuit breakers, actually...

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Yup, they are exactly like the old house fuses. Glass, circular, about the size of a quarter or a little bigger, with a screw-in base. I've found the house fuses up to 30amp but I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) they are different because they are for AC. Can't find any 40 amp ones though even if the ac ones would work.

Is changing this out as simple as getting a four or six circuit fuse box and moving the wiring over? And, if I used 12 volt circuit breakers would they be mounted in a box of some type? I use them on my boat but each breaker has mounting lugs and is just screwed into a convenient location. Sorry to be so uninformed, I just don't work with 12 volt stuff much. Appreciate very much the wisdom and experience on this forum.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by glang58 View Post
Yup, they are exactly like the old house fuses. Glass, circular, about the size of a quarter or a little bigger, with a screw-in base. I've found the house fuses up to 30amp but I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) they are different because they are for AC. Can't find any 40 amp ones though even if the ac ones would work.

Is changing this out as simple as getting a four or six circuit fuse box and moving the wiring over? And, if I used 12 volt circuit breakers would they be mounted in a box of some type? I use them on my boat but each breaker has mounting lugs and is just screwed into a convenient location. Sorry to be so uninformed, I just don't work with 12 volt stuff much. Appreciate very much the wisdom and experience on this forum.
The easiest approach is to just get a fuse block and replace the existing stuff. If you have problems w/ shorts or overloading, you may wish to use circuit breakers instead if you cannot get that fixed right away....

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
You can use AC screw in fuses. The original fuses were 125V rated.

You probably need 25amp. fuses, not 40amp. My trailer had the same arrangement (vent fan, lights, pressure pump) and the fuses were 25a. Check the wire size to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASfuse.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	101162