Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Some 12 volt not working

Unit is a 2002, 22' International CCD. Need help finding why some 12v works and some does not.How to isolate the problem. I'm not an electrician but have considerable experience with 120 v wiring.

After replacing about 20% of the sub flooring in the rear section part, but not all, of the 12v system is not working. Here is the situation:

Several interior panels were carefully removed, leaving the back portion bare to the outside skin and sub flooring. The shower was removed to replace the flooring underneath. the wiring runs through a "snake" around d the back of the shower stall on the road side around the rear to the curb side where the converter is placed.

I was very careful to remove only the light to the shower and two other bullet spot lights.The upper storage above the kitchen (roadside) was move forward about 8 inches to accommodate removing the bath - none of the wiring was disconnected. The only other electrical connection that was disconnected was to the Dominic Refrigerator, also remove along with all the kitchen cabinets. The kitchen cabinets were uninstalled to make room to remove the bath and make way for new cabinets.

At some point I realized that some of the 12v lights over the kitchen counter were not operating, then the lights in the parkside upper storage quit, next home of the reading lamps over the front bed quit woking (they worked for some after the over kitchen cabinets and bath were moved).
Still other 12v lights worked. Then all 12v lights quit working. Ive checked fuzes and all seem to be ok. However, the fantastic fans still operate and I've detected power at one of the female cigarette sockets but to at another one.

My volt meer indicates power is connected to the converter and the battery is charging.

All 120v outlets deliver power.
jasfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The only way to check a fuse is with a voltmeter. Check the input side for voltage and then the output side for voltage. Visual does not work.

If you can see voltage on the output side of all the 12 circuit breakers you have an open wire downstream from the panel. Sorry to say but that may require removing wall panels starting at the closest one to the breaker panel that you removed while working. Most 12 volt wiring in an Airstream runs along the top centerline of the trailer and drops down to individual fixtures from there.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
A meter won't show you every case where a fuse had failed. If it is a slow burn incident there may be a carbon track that the meter sees as good.
Replace the fuses and make sure they are tight in the holders. Use a tool or gloves. Because a 20 amp fuse can create a lot of heat when blowing. Watch each fuse as you replace it. If you have an overload. You will know by the flash.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Maybe a test light will solve the problem and save your finger tips.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thanks for the suggestions. Used a volt metr found the problem. All lights are working this evening.
jasfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Bee Cave , Texas
Fuses inside univolt

Well, I ran into something similar this weekend. Found that I had some dead 12V circuits. I'm new to my AS so am a bit of a novice. Logically, it makes sense that my problem was a fuse, but where were those located? Found the univolt hidden under the bottom shelf in a closet in the bathroom. Still didn't see any fuses. Started looking around on the web and saw pictures of an opened univolt and surprise, surprise, the fuses are inside. Sure enough, I had blown fuses.

This is a problem I'm sure I'll only have once, but what a strange place to hide the fuses.
BluesClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

1975 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
You said you used a volt meter and solved your problem. What did you find and how did you solve it?
Thanks.
Norm Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt