Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Solder Seal vs. Scotch-Lock

Solder Seal vs. Scotch-Lock

I know that Scotch-Lock is popular for trailers, but, how do we feel about Solder Seal? Looks promising.....but.........let the Opinion Fiesta begin!

https://www.amazon.com/Sopoby-Connec...wire+connector

Eric
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Only used them once. Conceptually head and shoulders above a scotchlock, but I had trouble getting the temp right to melt the solder without damaging the heat shrink. Probably a technique thing that I could practice through.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I wouldn't use scotch locks.

I have had good luck with regular soldered joints in conjunction with glue-lined
shrink tubes.

The solder-seal connectors look good but I have no experience with them, I would have thought it might be difficult to flow the solder without messing up the insulation due to too much heat - but as stated, no experience with them. They seem to get good reviews. I'd like to give them a try.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I have used these on race car applications, obviously an extreme vibration environment. They worked well with no failures. They do take some experience to properly apply. I found that you had to heat them up slowly with low heat from a hot air gun to bring them slowly up to temperature, so that the solder would flow properly and the heat would not burn the tubing (just shrink it).
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I would not use a Scotch-Lok connector if you paid me to take them! Also not allowed in any marine connection. Solder introduces a second or even third metal to a connection with the possibilities of associated corrosion which is not necessary.

A quality heat shrink connector properly crimped and tested to the 20lb. pull test will give you a corrosion free connection that will last indefinitely when correctly installed. ABYC sets their standards because the work.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I would not use a Scotch-Lok connector if you paid me to take them! Also not allowed in any marine connection. Solder introduces a second or even third metal to a connection with the possibilities of associated corrosion which is not necessary.

A quality heat shrink connector properly crimped and tested to the 20lb. pull test will give you a corrosion free connection that will last indefinitely when correctly installed. ABYC sets their standards because the work.
Yes, but a heat shrink connector is going to "introduce a second or even third metal" as the metal in the connector won't likely match the metal of your wire.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Yes, but a heat shrink connector is going to "introduce a second or even third metal" as the metal in the connector won't likely match the metal of your wire.
Uhhhh? How so?????? Copper wire with a copper connector (perhaps tinned to prevent corrosion....just like the marine wire that it is securing) crimped to it wrapped in adhesive filled plastic heat shrink? Where are the 'other' metals????

Perhaps you could enlighten the ABYC standards committee about this????

You are all free to use what ever method of cable termination that you prefer, as the USA is STILL a free country. Organizations like the ABYC exist to promote best standards practice in their respective industries, and marine electrical safety is one off their missions.

I see home made solutions to problems every day and the some will work....for a while.....but are no where near the professional results achieved by following best practice standards. Safety is not to be taken lightly.....but it's your rig and your life......use all the solid conductor wire, solder and wire nuts you want..........ENJOY!!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
...A quality heat shrink connector properly crimped and tested to the 20lb. pull test will give you a corrosion free connection that will last indefinitely when correctly installed...
+1 on quality crimped connections. If the connection is not exposed to exterior environment I don't have a concern using a simple crimp connector. If water, dirt, etc. are to be encountered then the addition of a sealed, crimped joint is the way to go IMO.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Uhhhh? How so?????? Copper wire with a copper connector (perhaps tinned to prevent corrosion....just like the marine wire that it is securing) crimped to it wrapped in adhesive filled plastic heat shrink? Where are the 'other' metals????

Perhaps you could enlighten the ABYC standards committee about this????
I'm not arguing standards or that you don't know what you are doing. But an individual without your experience is going to read your blanket statement and take it at face value.

You can buy steel/nickel connectors, aluminum connectors, tinned copper, etc. So while you might make sure you have a copper connector with copper wire, not everyone will know to make the distinction.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:

Lewster - Could you provide a link to the connector product you use? Thanks!

All - Thanks for the varying opinions! For my next act, I will ask what the best tow vehicle is.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Lewster - Could you provide a link to the connector product you use? Thanks!

All - Thanks for the varying opinions! For my next act, I will ask what the best tow vehicle is.
I buy my connectors from several sources, but my main source is Waytek Wire. They do have minimums for ordering, which are never a problem for me but the casual user might wind up with an excessive amount of connectors.

Any products from Ancor or Raytech will provide you with ABYC compliant connections....provided that you use a proper crimping tool. Amazon has multiple vendors for these products in smaller quantities.

I also only use heat shrink connectors, as a quick blast from the heat gun is definitely worth sealing the connector against any type of normal corrosion.