Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Overlander can you please expand upon your statement "The Pedestal side has been addressed as well and we will see them in RV parks and marinas soon."

Or, are you offering immediate warranty and guarantee against damages if buying this system from you for electrical issues related to a power cord?
Nope, all I mean't is that some companies that make the power pedestals for RV parks and marinas are interested in having smartplug connections on their side too and I believe we will see them show up in the near future. Has nothing to do with warranty. Are you using the product?
I do believe we will see them soon and hopefully the outdated L5-30 will not be standard equipment in RV and boats in the future.
If you were ordering a new Airstream right not and knew about the product, there is a very good chance they have it ready to install if you requested it. Very good chance
One could also have their dealer install it if already left Jackson Center for your dealership. Then there is the end user. Probably cheapest way to get one if you have basic electrical skills. They are no more difficult to install than a simple duplex power outlet.
I'm all ears on what might be wrong with this product or how it can be improved.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My opinion.

Hi, as per your picture of melted connectors, in a previous post, I'm willing to bet this is mostly caused by not twisting the connector fully and not properly tightening the connector nut. [creating a poor connection]

As for the camp ground post, they get used [and abused] several times a week and most trailers only get connected maybe 30 times a year.

I'm sure that you are selling a great product. Will it ever be a factory production item, who knows?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, as per your picture of melted connectors, in a previous post, I'm willing to bet this is mostly caused by not twisting the connector fully and not properly tightening the connector nut. [creating a poor connection]

As for the camp ground post, they get used [and abused] several times a week and most trailers only get connected maybe 30 times a year.

I'm sure that you are selling a great product. Will it ever be a factory production item, who knows?
You could be right. No argument. It is what it is man. They fly out of here and they all might be wrong. I sure hope they don’t come back but not one so far. I'm on your side when it comes to validity. We just finished a promotion with another group and not one disappointed so far. I would not put anything in my shop that doesn't make sense but have in the past and still have those mistakes. Parallax converters for one. I can’t sell them. This isn't one of them.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we have a smartplug and like it a lot

i just wish i could get a chord set that is parallel to the body and not sticking out

just like some of the low profile 110 extension chords

just have the chord go down, and not out

waninae39, exactly! I've long wondered the same thing.

A right-angle connection should be used on the rv side just like it is on the pedestal side. Just common sense to remove weight and it's connection-related problems.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
waninae39, exactly! I've long wondered the same thing.

A right-angle connection should be used on the rv side just like it is on the pedestal side. Just common sense to remove weight and it's connection-related problems.

Do you have to cut off your old connections on a 50 amp cord and figure how to put on a new plug? How hard is this to do?

I don't think most people want to throw away a good cord that cost over $100.00 to buy another.

Looks like a good idea if it came with the trailer and their right angle adapters as others have suggested.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #26
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
If you modify your AS with this product will the manufacturer indemnify you if there is a fire that starts at the trailer end?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Also looks like an adapter. I don't see any tightening ring.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
So, is $305 the promotion price, less the Air Forums discount?
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Also looks like an adapter. I don't see any tightening ring.
No tightening ring. It appears the plug snaps into place with snaps on each side of cord plug. This is what holds it in place.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
So, is $305 the promotion price, less the Air Forums discount?
Most just get the stainless combo inlet and plug and reuse the existing cord. I can’t post pricing (per air forum rules) but substantially less than that.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
No tightening ring. It appears the plug snaps into place with snaps on each side of cord plug. This is what holds it in place.

I was referring to the picture of the burned-out twist plug.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Do you have to cut off your old connections on a 50 amp cord and figure how to put on a new plug? How hard is this to do?

I don't think most people want to throw away a good cord that cost over $100.00 to buy another.

Looks like a good idea if it came with the trailer and their right angle adapters as others have suggested.

Dave

Yes, you have to cut off the old plug to install a new one. Then, once you strip back the outer cord cover and inside 3 wires to the proper length, installing a replacement plug is pretty straight forward. Just follow instructions. A 10 minute job.

I had to do this on a 30A cord that had a burned twist connector. I had already bought a new replacement cord with twist connector, so I made my old cord into an extension by installing a 30A blade plug on the end.

It will probably never be as water-proof as a factory cord connection, however.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
This was posted: I would not put anything in my shop that doesn't make sense but have in the past and still have those mistakes. Parallax converters for one. I can’t sell them. This isn't one of them.

Not questioning the honesty and integrity as it is apparent, but wondering about the issue with Parallax converters? I bought one and have it installed. I am not looking for money back or anything, but wondering if I need to change it out to protect my trailer? I keep it plugged in year round for humidity and heat control so am wondering if I am at risk?...and for maybe what risk?
Thank you for any insight.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but didn't know how else to get the clarification.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
This was posted: I would not put anything in my shop that doesn't make sense but have in the past and still have those mistakes. Parallax converters for one. I can’t sell them. This isn't one of them.

Not questioning the honesty and integrity as it is apparent, but wondering about the issue with Parallax converters? I bought one and have it installed. I am not looking for money back or anything, but wondering if I need to change it out to protect my trailer? I keep it plugged in year round for humidity and heat control so am wondering if I am at risk?...and for maybe what risk?
Thank you for any insight.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but didn't know how else to get the clarification.
Every since they flat out told us they don’t recommend long term storage We had to change gears AND there is no boost voltage charge. I’m not saying you won’t see good service just that the majority of the calls (and it’s every day) we get on over charging is from the 6300, 7300, 7400 and 8300 converters made by magnetek/ parallax. Older Univots too but they were made by other companies. Maybe they will change but we have not bought the product in about 6 months and frankly never sold many to the airstream community anyway. Usually the PD4655VL series, 9200 series and the Boondockers for those wanting a 4 stage converter.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Thank you for clarifying. I need to check my model number and see if I need to worry...then figure out what to change to.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying. I need to check my model number and see if I need to worry...then figure out what to change to.
It will be either the 7355 all-in-one power center or the 7455 deck mount with a separate fuse panel.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
I got it through your company about 5 years ago, and it was a one piece swap for what was installed in a 2007 28 ft. Airstream. I will look tomorrow when not working and do contact through your website so as not to bore the forum with my hijack of this thread.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I did this upgrade back in February: https://www.casarodante.org/2018/02/...tplug-upgrade/

We have a 50amp trailer so I wanted two different cords, one for 50amp and one with 30amp. But the Smartplugs have two different receptacles on the trailer so we went with the 50amp and 'fixed' the 30amp cord to work.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I like my Smartplug but my only issue is that the little blue light that indicates power is connected has gone out. Any easy fixes?

Pat
Give the SmartPlug people a call. Mine went out too, I called and they replaced it under warranty. Great support.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #40
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Maybe it's just me, but while I can see that this is better, maybe much better, it is still simple technology and simple manufacturing. Why is it so absurdly expensive?
Manning
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote