Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
The Bean

2008 22' Safari
Glen Ellyn , Illinois
Smile Simple Electrical Hookup Questions

Hello All.

I blew a house fuse when operating the microwave for the first time as a test. I had the trailer (08 Safari Sport 22) plugged into the house power using a standard heavy duty orange 25 ft extension cord connected to the really heavy duty power cord that came with the trailer. I was told that the only appliance I should not run when plugged in using this configuration was the air conditioner. So my question is, was that bad advice and I should not use the microwave either or is my orange extension cord possibly at fault.

I was told the AC needs a 30 amp connection to run.

Thanks for the help. Leaving in 6 hours for maiden voyage.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums.
Using a high-draw device, (a/c, microwave, hair dryer) with an extension cord is like trying to run a marathon while breathing through a drinking straw, with similar results in both cases.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
The Bean

2008 22' Safari
Glen Ellyn , Illinois
Funny you should mention marathon

that is funny that you mention marathon, because that is where we are headed - Duluth MN for the Grandma's Marathon. I am hoping this go around that an actual Grandma doesn't beat me. Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
It depends on the gage of the extension cord and size of the breaker.
Wire should be (best) 10 gage or 12 gage and breaker should be 20 amp.

My RV microwave pulls more power than the air conditioner.

If you have a 30 amp trailer then you can't use the micro and air at the same time.

Garry
Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcipriano View Post
Hello All.

I had the trailer (08 Safari Sport 22) plugged into the house power using a standard heavy duty orange 25 ft extension cord connected to the really heavy duty power cord that came with the trailer.

Thanks for the help. Leaving in 6 hours for maiden voyage.
Heavy duty extension cords have nothing to do with it's ability to carry adequate current.

"That" heavy duty means you can run over it without damaging it.

All to many times, the words "heavy duty" are misunderstood, when it comes to extension cords.

Andy
Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
"standard heavy duty" doesn't mean anything.

What does mean something is the size (thickness, or "gauge") of the wire inside of it. Most of your typical orange extension cords are 14/2 wire, which is not particularly "heavy duty", at all.
You probably don't want to use anything smaller than 12 gauge, and the shorter, the better. The longer and/or thinner the cord is, the less electricity it can carry.
I know that some "say" that the a/c requires a 30 amp connection, but it doesn't. Mine is only on a 20 amp circuit. now, there is a presumption that the a/c isn't the only thing in your trailer that is running, so for practicality, that may be a good guideline. But if its really really hot out, and my parking spot is too far away for my on-board 30-amp rated 10-gauge power cable to reach the electrical hookup, (as is often the case), I'll run the extension cord to it...plug into 20 amp, and then make sure my fridge is set to run on gas. and not run the microwave. or a hairdryer, or toaster, or anything else that is a big electrical draw, without first shutting off the a/c.
Like everything else in an RV, you just have to be mindful of your consumption and capacities.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
while you only were using the microwave there might have been other tings drawing power such as the refrigerator, converter and possibly the water heater if it can run on shore power. a volt meter is a great investment to check electrical health.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Too Much Current Draw...

Sound like too much draw. When you increase the cord/cable length you experience voltage drop for the given wire gauge. You would need to increase the wire size to compensate for the added length.

I would guess that a "Standard Heavy Duty" extension cord is no more than 12ga. Which is smaller than the 10-3 that comes from my trailer, and is smaller than the 30' RV extension cord I carry for emergencies.

I avoid running any kind of extension cord in combination with the factory cord if at all possible. If I have no other choice, then I use the 10-3 cord, and run as few electrical appliances at one time as possible.

Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!! And we expect you to post pictures along the way!!!

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
The Bean

2008 22' Safari
Glen Ellyn , Illinois
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I need to investigate extension cords in more detail and to use some trailer operating sense.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Smile Plug in

If you are going to have the trailer at home for any period of time for repairs, packing before a trip, unpacking are a trip or just home for the weekend for bonding. Then spend the time and a little money to install a 30 amp breaker in in home breaker box and run a dedicated line with an RV receptacle to the place you will be parking the trailer while at home. Then just plug in. No more extension cords or triped breakers.

Don
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Here are the instructions for adding 30 amp service for your RV at home. make sure you match the breaker type-Manufacturer with the ones in your breaker box.

Don
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV 30-amp ervice.pdf (64.7 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
convert 2009 c Lfrom 30 to 50 amp

I am interested in converting my 30 amp to 5o amp. The breaker system, plug in socket is the only retooling involved. I understand the trailers wiring will handle the upgrade. 2009 30 C L . Request that someone guide me on this.woopa4