Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #1

2016 27' International
EAGLE , Idaho
Should solar panels and system go directly to batteries?

We have a 2016 Airstream International 27FB that we added solar to when we purchased it. We added additional panels for a total of 300W and change to 2 6volt deep cycle batteries. The system was installed by the local Airstream dealership.

While the trailer was in storage, I would check battery levels and they would drop to 11.25 v. While the system seemed to be working fine, I pulled the batteries for the winter and put them on a battery tender. The batteries were significantly depleted, much more so than I expected.

The question I have is whether the solar should be connected directly to the batteries or not. I believe the intention of the installer was to allow charging when the trailer was in storage and switched to disconnected. My concern is that we store in a covered outdoor space, coupled with overcast fall/ winter days, the solar panels might actually be draining the batteries.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I really expected a 300W system to be able to keep a basic charge. I do turn off and disconnect everything when stored, and I can't find any excessive drain on the system except for the smoke detectors. I understand that a covered space dramatically lessens the charging voltage, but I didn't think we would still be draining the batteries so dramatically since we have solar.

We are new to RV'ing as a whole so please forgive me if my expectations are higher than they should be... and I love the forum so thanks ahead of time!
GPafundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
How covered is covered? No sun = no charge.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The propane detector, always connected, has a small load but enough to flatten your batteries in storage. Solar won't help you if you have covered storage; panels are not very efficient and indirect light will do nothing.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Yes, anything that's connected to the batteries that is not charging them is draining them.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I also have a trailer with multiple panels (435 watts) on the roof, and keep it in covered storage. The panels don't work in my storage location, which has an open front facing due south. Only one time have I seen the solar controller producing current when the trailer is parked--and that was only 0.1 amps.

When I am storing the trailer for more than a couple of weeks, I make sure the batteries are charged when I put it away, then I disconnect all the loads (including removing the fuse to the propane detector).
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
There should be a digital readout on the solar controller. That will show if and how much your solar system is charging your batteries when parked in storage.
Yes, the output from the solar regulator should be connected directly to the batteries. Disconnecting batteries from the regulator with the panels connected can damage some regulators.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
[QUOTE=Jim Foster;1882358]There should be a digital readout on the solar controller. That will show if and how much your solar system is charging your batteries when parked in storage.
Yes, the output from the solar regulator should be connected directly to the batteries. Disconnecting batteries from the regulator with the panels connected can damage some regulators.

Jim,

I don't know which solar controllers you have experience with, but NONE of the units that I have used in over 150 solar installations from Blue Sky energy, Morningstar and Victron Energy have NO PROBLEM being disconnected from the batteries they would normanlly be charging.

Thesis one of the many reasons that I install a disconnect switch for the solar array going into the controller and a marine circuit breaker between the controller and the battery bank.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

2016 27' International
EAGLE , Idaho
Thanks everyone for the input. Now I need to figure out what to do if I disconnect the batteries. Should I leave an open circuit or will that damage the solar controller?

Again, I appreciate the input.
GPafundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Like Lew said above, there's no issue in having an open circuit for your solar controller. Simply disconnect the negative terminal for each battery you have to isolate the batteries during storage.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote