Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
hondas

My two 2000 generators run an a/c and 2 TVs fine. Just don't try the hot water heater, microwave, or hair blow dryer.
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Two Generators Versus One - That is the Question ...

So please help me out here... running a/c is the priority. Solar can help with the rest.

B/S P3000 weighs 50 lbs, has a 1.5-gallon fuel tank for 10-hours of continuous operation at 25-percent load. Running at 59-decibel noise level at ¼ load. So it could run one a/c unit but at a higher fuel usage and higher noise level.

2 x Honda weigh approx. 47 lbs each. So about double the weight. Each unit has 1.1 gal fuel tank and 53-decibels at ¼ load. So 2 units running must make a lot more noise and maybe twice the amount of fuel.

Maybe a single unit B/S is a better (and cheaper) proposition.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:28 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post
So please help me out here... running a/c is the priority. Solar can help with the rest.

Snip.... So 2 units running must make a lot more noise and maybe twice the amount of fuel.

No...not a 'Lot' more noise....about 3db more, for reasons an acoustic engineer can explain.

Bob
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #24
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcoola View Post

B/S P3000 weighs 50 lbs, has a 1.5-gallon fuel tank for 10-hours of continuous operation at 25-percent load. Running at 59-decibel noise level at ¼ load. So it could run one a/c unit but at a higher fuel usage and higher noise level.

2 x Honda weigh approx. 47 lbs each. So about double the weight. Each unit has 1.1 gal fuel tank and 53-decibels at ¼ load. So 2 units running must make a lot more noise and maybe twice the amount of fuel.

The Briggs is 84 lbs.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No...not a 'Lot' more noise....about 3db more, for reasons an acoustic engineer can explain.

Bob
Yes. But the load is cut in half on each generator. Depending on the load, 2 generators can be more quiet than one screaming generator.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Portable genereators

Love the Yamaha and Honda for noise factor and portability; since I will need 2 at some point, I did not want to pay the price of those brands, so looking for alternative. I purchased the Champion 2000W 73536i stackable unit from Amazon last week. I had a Honeywell 2000W unit I purchased several years ago but had never used it since we typically use our portable solar to charge the batteries. Because of tree/shade issues this past trip, I decided to take along the Honeywell and try it out. I used it the first time 2 weeks ago, it was very difficult to start: prime 30-40 times, heavy to move around, and it was so loud when I got it running that I was embarrassed to run it in the campground! I know the other campers close by were affected by the noise, even though the campsites in Glacier are fairly decently spaced. The guy next to me had 2 Yamahas which were quiet and the guy across from me had 2 Champions hooked together. I could barely hear them when I walked up to check them out. I had talked with a couple other owners who had Champions, and they loved this unit. I started reading reviews on Amazon and other review comparison sites; owners seem to love this unit and service from Champion seems to be readily available if needed. I paid $442 plus $43 shipping on Amazon last week. The capacity (1Gal) is close on all of them, and the Champion will run for up to 9 hours. I will likely get a second unit to run the A/C when I return to TX end of summer; don't need air up here in the Rockies in summer so single unit works for now. 2 separate units will be easier for me to maneuver then a larger single generator they offer in the 75531i. Advantage of the larger unit is 3100W will run a 1500 BTU AC; it was on sale yesterday for $600 + $43.00 shipping on Amazon. Today however, it is back up to $791!

The price of the 73546i, 2000W unit I got last week has also increased in price today up to $472 on Amazon. I have seen this happen before on Amazon...price goes up and down with some products overnight! Here is the chart I created....Good luck and please post your findings when you choose and have some experience for us!
Generator Mfg. Model Power Weight Noise Fuel Capacity Cost Honda EU2000i 1600-2000w 47lbs 53-59dbs .95G $999.00 Yamaha EF2000i 1600-2000w 44lbs 51.5dbs $989.00 Champion 73536i 2000 1700-2000w 48lbs 53dbs 1G $442.36 Briggs & Straton P2200 1700-2200w 55lbs 59dbs 1G $632.78
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
I'm sure it's to late for a answer but look at the new Briggs and Stratton inverter generator. They have a 3K watt and 2K watt you can tie together.
The 3K watt was 1000$ cheaper than the Honda 3K watt.
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Traded back my Briggs 3000 because it would not work with my 15k a for 2 briggs 2200 works perfectly.
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Traded back my Briggs 3000 because it would not work with my 15k a for 2 briggs 2200 works perfectly.
That's very odd the 3K won't run your AC unit.
I plan on adding the BS 2000k or maybe another 3000k when I get the 34' Limited on the road. It will have 2 AC units then.
My wish for Briggs is to add a aux fuel tank to run them longer at 50% power.
Happy travels
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
It's not that it won't run, it just does not have enough watts to start. Made numerous calls to dometic and confirmed.
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Here's the solution. I use one and the Honda 2000i. It works. http://www.microair.net/main/products/product.php?id=20

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
confirmation of this solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Here's the solution. I use one and the Honda 2000i. It works. http://www.microair.net/main/products/product.php?id=20

This looks very interesting, if it works on 1500 A/C units! Few questions:
1) How long have you been using this?
2) Does it work with dual air; ie- 2 A/C units (1500+1300)
3) I saw list price at $318; any issues with your unit?

If this can drive a 1500, should be sufficient for us and I like the idea not having to carry extra weight/hassle of either a second 2000W generator or purchasing a 3400W unit. Looking forward to your reply!

Anyone else using this set up or have other suggestions? This may be a great solution!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Gypsydad...You will need an Easystart for each AC unit. I would not think that a 2000 watt generator would run two units. I only have one 15000 BTU Briskair by Dometic. My experience with Easystart was with my Oliver Legacy which I sold when I bought the Airstream. I will install an Easy Start on my Airstream before Summer arrives. My Honda 2000i was happy running the 12500 BTU on the Oliver. The issue with air conditioners lies in the Locked Rotor Amp draw which is about five times greater at startup than running amps. Easy Start claims they can start and run a three ton household AC with a 2000i Honda.

My primary reason for buying the Easy Start was to run the AC on batteries during short breaks while on the road rather than using a generator. My current setup is a 3000 Watt Magnum inverter, plus four six volt batteries which will start and run the AC. It is a hybrid so if I use it in conjunction with a generator there will be less drain on the batteries. I would only use my generator while boondocking.

All the best.

trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Easy Start claims they can start and run a three ton household AC with a 2000i Honda.

All the best.

I did not see that claim on their website.
I can't imagine how that is possible.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #35
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Hello from Micro-Air

Hi everyone. We've been monitoring this thread and decided to join your forum so we could comment and answer questions. After discussions with your kind moderator, we're now allowed to post and we intend to stay within the rules of your forum. Our goal is to ensure everyone has all the right information to make their own decisions.

First of all, we would like to thank trumpetguy for mentioning our EasyStart model 364 product. Those of you who are members of other RV forums may have read similar topics and seen the many customer success stories. EasyStart is a very unique product, and we have worked very long and hard over the past 4 years to make it the best it can possibly be. It is most certainly for real.

Regarding the claim mentioned above and questioned by AstroBruce, the EasyStart cannot start and run a 3-ton A/C system on a 115V 2000W Honda Generator. 3-ton A/C systems are all 230V, and typically require steady-state power in the 3500W range to run. Of course, if you had a 230V generator and a 3-ton A/C system, you could use the same EasyStart model 364 to start and run it! Every EasyStart is dual-voltage and dual-frequency. And for systems larger than 3-ton, the EasyStart model 368 is available for up to true 6-ton capacity. For example, many customers use the EasyStart 368 on their larger residential A/C units so they can run their house and its A/C on a standby generator during a power outage.

As everyone already knows, the largest rooftop RV air conditioners that are readily available on the market from Airxcel/Coleman and Dometic are 13.5k, 15k, and 15.5kBTUs. EasyStart will start and run all of these on the Honda EU2000i. In fact, at Micro-Air we purchased and still own a Honda EU2000i, and we used it to run many experiments years ago to determine the capability of EasyStart. On every 115V A/C we could find, including an 18kBTU marine unit that had an LRA rating of 79 amps, EasyStart will start and run this A/C reliably on the Honda EU2000i from ECO mode.

Speaking of ECO mode, assuming your A/C cycles off during the night and doesn't just run full blast all the time, the fact that the Honda EU2000i will drop to a lower RPM under light load makes a big difference in its fuel economy. It may allow you to get through an entire night's sleep on a single (standard-sized) tank of fuel when it otherwise would not have. Since the EasyStart imparts a 5-second delay to the start-up of the compessor, when the A/C's evaporator and condenser fans start up when its thermostat calls for a cooling cycle, these loads are enough to cause the Honda to exit ECO mode and jump to high-RPM in time, before the EasyStart begins gently ramping up the compessor.

Beyond the obvious advantage of being able to start your A/C with a generator or inverter that otherwise would not have, many people in other forums have discovered and really like the fact that the EasyStart dramatically reduces the compressor's start-up noise. Some Coleman models like the Mach 8 and Polar Cub have been reported to make a loud "bang" when they start, which can disturb light sleepers. EasyStart completely eliminated this annoyance for these customers.

There is a lot of information which you can study for yourselves on the EasyStart webpage and in the YouTube video. But please don't hesitate to ask any further questions. I'm here to help.

Thank you again for your interest in our EasyStart product.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #36
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Matteo, Thanks for chiming in. Interesting product. Can one use the 366 model for a typical 15k or 13.5k RV A/C? How difficult is it to self install?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #37
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
EasyStart 366 vs. 364

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the compliment and for your question. Yes, by all means you can use the EasyStart 366 product for the rooftops, and save yourself about half the cost in the process. Not to keep referring to other forums, but there are many savvy DIY customers who have had great success installing the EasyStart 366. In fact, in many cases it would seem the forum members were competing with each other on who's installation was better! I certainly enjoyed that, and just sat back to watch the fun.

The challenge with the EasyStart 366 is basically three-fold. First, since it is just a raw circuit board, you need to find a suitable enclosure in which to mount it. Depending on your rooftop model, the existing electric box that houses the A/C's run cap and perhaps existing hard start components may be big enough to fit the board. In such cases, many people mount the board on the back wall of this box, or on the inside of the cover. We now provide 1/2" standoffs for free with the purchase of any EasyStart 366 since those are difficult to obtain (unless you're already buying stuff from electronic component suppliers). In cases where the electric box is too small, customers have supplied their own. A sheet metal or plastic box will suffice, as long as it keeps out the blowing rain. Second, you need to provide your own start capacitor, which is sized based upon the BTUs of the A/C. In cases where the A/C had a hard start device already installed (which must be removed when installing any EasyStart), that start capacitor can often be re-purposed for use with the EasyStart 366. Lastly, you need to provide your own wiring and crimp terminals.

So, as you can see, if you are handy and electrically-inclined enough, installing an EasyStart 366 isn't that difficult. But if you want to take the simpler route, the EasyStart 364 of course comes in its own enclosure, has a built-in start cap, and a provided wire harness.

Thanks again for your good question.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Boy! What's not to like about these? Only buy/load/fuel/store one generator yet still use our 15K A/C when dry camping.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks and sounds like a great product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Hi everyone. We've been monitoring this thread and decided to join your forum so we could comment and answer questions. After discussions with your kind moderator, we're now allowed to post and we intend to stay within the rules of your forum. Our goal is to ensure everyone has all the right information to make their own decisions.

First of all, we would like to thank trumpetguy for mentioning our EasyStart model 364 product. Those of you who are members of other RV forums may have read similar topics and seen the many customer success stories. EasyStart is a very unique product, and we have worked very long and hard over the past 4 years to make it the best it can possibly be. It is most certainly for real.

Regarding the claim mentioned above and questioned by AstroBruce, the EasyStart cannot start and run a 3-ton A/C system on a 115V 2000W Honda Generator. 3-ton A/C systems are all 230V, and typically require steady-state power in the 3500W range to run. Of course, if you had a 230V generator and a 3-ton A/C system, you could use the same EasyStart model 364 to start and run it! Every EasyStart is dual-voltage and dual-frequency. And for systems larger than 3-ton, the EasyStart model 368 is available for up to true 6-ton capacity. For example, many customers use the EasyStart 368 on their larger residential A/C units so they can run their house and its A/C on a standby generator during a power outage.

As everyone already knows, the largest rooftop RV air conditioners that are readily available on the market from Airxcel/Coleman and Dometic are 13.5k, 15k, and 15.5kBTUs. EasyStart will start and run all of these on the Honda EU2000i. In fact, at Micro-Air we purchased and still own a Honda EU2000i, and we used it to run many experiments years ago to determine the capability of EasyStart. On every 115V A/C we could find, including an 18kBTU marine unit that had an LRA rating of 79 amps, EasyStart will start and run this A/C reliably on the Honda EU2000i from ECO mode.

Speaking of ECO mode, assuming your A/C cycles off during the night and doesn't just run full blast all the time, the fact that the Honda EU2000i will drop to a lower RPM under light load makes a big difference in its fuel economy. It may allow you to get through an entire night's sleep on a single (standard-sized) tank of fuel when it otherwise would not have. Since the EasyStart imparts a 5-second delay to the start-up of the compessor, when the A/C's evaporator and condenser fans start up when its thermostat calls for a cooling cycle, these loads are enough to cause the Honda to exit ECO mode and jump to high-RPM in time, before the EasyStart begins gently ramping up the compessor.

Beyond the obvious advantage of being able to start your A/C with a generator or inverter that otherwise would not have, many people in other forums have discovered and really like the fact that the EasyStart dramatically reduces the compressor's start-up noise. Some Coleman models like the Mach 8 and Polar Cub have been reported to make a loud "bang" when they start, which can disturb light sleepers. EasyStart completely eliminated this annoyance for these customers.

There is a lot of information which you can study for yourselves on the EasyStart webpage and in the YouTube video. But please don't hesitate to ask any further questions. I'm here to help.

Thank you again for your interest in our EasyStart product.
Thanks for your clarification and supporting information on your product! I have a couple questions:
1) Does this just plug into the 2000W generator, accept the RV (Airstream of course) connector plug, and lay on the ground/trailer a frame or do you need to mount the box?
2) I am in Austin and have looked at Camper Clinic RV dealership and also on Amazon; neither carry this unit . Where is best place to purchase and try out?
Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #40
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks for your clarification and supporting information on your product! I have a couple questions:
1) Does this just plug into the 2000W generator, accept the RV (Airstream of course) connector plug, and lay on the ground/trailer a frame or do you need to mount the box?
2) I am in Austin and have looked at Camper Clinic RV dealership and also on Amazon; neither carry this unit . Where is best place to purchase and try out?
Hi Gypsydad. Thanks for your questions.

The EasyStart doesn't connect to the generator. It must be connected internally inside the air conditioner itself, specifically into the compressor wiring. The EasyStart (364) box itself is then must be mounted somewhere inside the air conditioning housing. Please look in the attachments to this post to see a basic overview of how an EasyStart 364 would be wired and mounted into a Coleman Mach 1 or Mach 3 A/C unit.

Your best source for the EasyStart is buying direct from our webstore, which you can gain access to through our website. (Your moderator told me I cannot post links, so I don't want to break the rules.) We do have distributors around the country for our marine controls, and there is a large distributor in Houston, AER Supply. I recently inquired with them about who their dealers and installers were in Austin that could handle an EasyStart installation into an RV rooftop and they gave me the list below:
Five Star
Austin, TX 78734
Tel. 512 266 3123
jdeprato@austin.rr.com

Sail & Ski Austin
Austin, TX 78750
Tel. 512 258 0733

Stan’s Heating & Air
Austin, TX
Tel. 817 851 8435
Please realize that these dealers may not be familiar with EasyStart, but they're certainly capable of doing an installation and they can purchase them from our distributor. As a result, they may be able to offer a discount in the form of reduced installation cost, if you want them to do that for you.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	278419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	278420