Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #61
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
...My Dometic starts the fan first (the 11,000 BTU unit in my 2001 Safari did not) and the compressor start is not the "thunk" I was accustomed to with my 2001. Is this common? Or maybe the most recent PO installed an Easy Start as a part of his upgrades...
Hi Al & Missy. If your Dometic has a digital controller (either their "CCC" or "Single Zone"), it is possible that these controllers separate the fan function from the compressor. If instead your A/C has the more common 2-knob control, then the fan and compressor should always start together. In the latter case, if the compressor startup is delayed on your particular A/C unit, it may be due to an EasyStart or some other modification. The EasyStart's delay is only 5 seconds, which is just enough time for the Honda EU2000i (or any similar model) to exit ECO mode and jump to high RPM.

And to your point, EasyStart has been found to completely eliminate the annoying "thump" during startup. This bonus benefit of EasyStart we never thought was that important, until a bunch of customers told us otherwise!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks Matteo,

I guess I'll have to get up on the roof to be sure. The trailer has the multi-zone CCC, (not the CCC2) but only one A/C unit. Your product is very interesting. My 2000i (on gasoline) would start and run the 11,000 BTU unit in my Safari 25. I bought a current sensor and planned to set up a PC digital oscilloscope to monitor currents and voltages before actually using it, but sold the trailer first.

I'm really interested in the product and if I don't already have one, I'll probably get the bare board and install it myself.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #63
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Matteo,

I have a Yamaha EF2000iSv2 generator and my trailer has both 15k and 13.5k AC units.

Is there any doubt that it will work with either unit? I really only need to purchase one for use with the generator so would you recommend installation on the 13.5k? My preference would be the 15k because that one starts up with a huge "bang" and I'd love to eliminate that. To my recollection the 13.5k isn't as bad.

Lastly, can these be picked up at your facility? I'm in the Allentown area fairly often. If so, do you do installs? Do you want to guide an install and then test with the Yamaha? :-)

This looks like a very interesting product. Leaning toward the bare circuit board and just buying my own enclosure and start cap. Other than some wiring that's all you need, correct?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #64
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Matteo,

I have a Yamaha EF2000iSv2 generator and my trailer has both 15k and 13.5k AC units.

Is there any doubt that it will work with either unit? I really only need to purchase one for use with the generator so would you recommend installation on the 13.5k? My preference would be the 15k because that one starts up with a huge "bang" and I'd love to eliminate that. To my recollection the 13.5k isn't as bad.

Lastly, can these be picked up at your facility? I'm in the Allentown area fairly often. If so, do you do installs? Do you want to guide an install and then test with the Yamaha? :-)

This looks like a very interesting product. Leaning toward the bare circuit board and just buying my own enclosure and start cap. Other than some wiring that's all you need, correct?
Scott - Although we have less experience with the Yamaha 2000W generator, other customers that we know of with Yamahas have had equal success. I'm therefore willing to assure you that EasyStart will work with either your 13.5k or your 15k.

Yes, you are correct on your list of additional ingredients needed to handle a DIY EasyStart 366 installation. On our EasyStart 366 webpage, there is a recently improved installation guide. It even talks about mounting the board on its standoffs, etc. That should help you with that part. I can further assist you by drawing in where the EasyStart 366 goes into a wiring diagram. Attached are a couple examples.

Beyond this, you are more than welcome to stop by the factory! I'll send advanced warning . I won't be there since I live and work out of South Florida to be close to our largest customers, the big marine HVAC OEMs, which are all down here. When you stop by, ask for Becky. She can process your purchase. Please realize we don't normally do this, so please don't expect your typical "counter service". You may be sitting at the conference table while you wait, drinking a cup of coffee. Or if things aren't too busy, Russ, Roger, or owner Andy may even give you the nickel tour.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Subscribed
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Any idea if this would work on a 1994 vintage low profile Dometic with controls on the ceiling unit? The fan runs continuous. Would this AC unit even benefit from the controller since the fan run continuously and the compressor is switched on/off automatically as needed.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #67
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Any idea if this would work on a 1994 vintage low profile Dometic with controls on the ceiling unit? The fan runs continuous. Would this AC unit even benefit from the controller since the fan run continuously and the compressor is switched on/off automatically as needed.
Hi Steve. Yes, your older Dometic low-profile unit will certainly benefit. The fact that the fan is always running only means that if your generator has an ECO mode, it may not drop to low RPM when the compressor cycles off. This is because there will always be about 3A of AC load from just the fan. But as in all cases, when the compressor cycles on, EasyStart will reduce the starting amps by around 70%. Depending on the size of your generator and your other AC electrical loads, EasyStart could therefore allow your vintage A/C to start and run when it otherwise would not have.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I hope somebody posts a DIY install of EasyStart in a late model Dometic A/C unit!
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Soon, i bought one!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:31 AM   #70

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Micro-Air Discount Offer

The recent discount offer post and subsequent replies have been relocated to the Commercial Listings forum which you can access via the link below.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ml#post1902763

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #71
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I see a micro-air and honda EU2000i in my future. Thanks all. I had been debating this for a while (saw it on the Wynns) but wondered whether it would work with the smaller genny. The confidence of people who have done it -- and the stunning clarity with with Micro-Air talks about the details of the system -- make this an easy decision.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #72
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Silly question. If I'm running with a Honda EU2000i, it doesn't have a 30amp plug, so am I just running a nice thick normal extension cord to the genny input on the trailer (using a dogbone converter)?

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Silly question. If I'm running with a Honda EU2000i, it doesn't have a 30amp plug, so am I just running a nice thick normal extension cord to the genny input on the trailer (using a dogbone converter)?
Other way around. Us the AS shore power cord with an adapter with a 30 amp female to 15 amp male inserted in the Gennie socket.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Please document with pictures....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I see a micro-air and honda EU2000i in my future. Thanks all. I had been debating this for a while (saw it on the Wynns) but wondered whether it would work with the smaller genny. The confidence of people who have done it -- and the stunning clarity with with Micro-Air talks about the details of the system -- make this an easy decision.
I am in same camp with my Champion 2000W, but not sure if I will get this unit for my current AS or wait till I get the new one in the spring...

If you the time and are interested, please document your time and progress on doing this and even take pictures if you can? This would be a great education for us all!
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #75
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'd be concerned that using anything other than a 30 amp cord all the way to the generator while running the air conditioner would put you at risk, even with this device, of overheating the cord and perhaps damaging your power socket at the generator. So, if you go this route, you may wish to consider the EU2000i Companion which has a proper 30 amp socket.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #76
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
A 2000w generator can't put out 30 amps.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #77
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
A 2000w generator can't put out 30 amps.
Yes, good point, though I'm well aware of that. Just pointing out that if your devices are gonna suck really hard on that cord, maxing out the capabilities of the generator, it's probably best if it's a full-thickness cord all the way back to said generator.

Not telling people what to do, it's just a suggestion. It's your generator, your dime, your choice. Do what you want, no stress here.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've had no problems using a 15 to 30 amp adapter running the AC at home from a wall socket (20 amp circuit). The adapter is about one foot in length. According to my kill-o-watt the AC amperage draw is in the 13 to 14 range for a 15,000 BTU AC. At 115 volts that's about 1600 watts.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 AM   #79
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yes, good point, though I'm well aware of that. Just pointing out that if your devices are gonna suck really hard on that cord, maxing out the capabilities of the generator, it's probably best if it's a full-thickness cord all the way back to said generator.

Not telling people what to do, it's just a suggestion. It's your generator, your dime, your choice. Do what you want, no stress here.
Well I'd agree it can't hurt. But a good 20 amp extension cord should also be fine.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I'm really interested in the easy start. I called dometic and was told installation of any non dometic part would void the warranty. I have two Honda 2000s with genconnex conversions. It would be nice to only carry one. Additionally a quieter start would also be welcomed. Any shared experience with this product would be appreciated.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote