Old 08-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Question Should I just rewire it?

Just finished the install of new shoreline, box ,GFI breakers,ground, and outlets. Also checked the lights and repaired one short with new gromets (plastic type for metal studs) and a section of new Romex. Now I discover I have another short somewhere on down the circuit. Since my Globetrotter is 41 years old is the best course of action to remove the panels and replace everything to avoid future problems? I plan to keep the seperate 12/120 systems pretty much as they are with the exception of adding an onboard marine type battery charger wired into the box on its own circuit . Is retaining the 12/120 a good idea . It looks pretty simple and eliminates converters/inverters. Does Romex remain the wire of choice in a rewire? Looking for the thoughts of those who have been down this path.

63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Team
, Minnesota
I think the old 'Romex', with braided cover and paper wrap, might have been more abrasion resistant than the latest NM, which has a plastic cover that reminds me of saran wrap. I'm not an electrician and I don't work for UL, so this is just personal opinion.
I plan to use BX.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
Tough call. If you can get access to a signal tracer you can find how many shorts you are dealing with. It is a lot of work to remove/replace skins but if you don't know where or how many shorts it might be the easiest course. Once you start stripping you will find a lot of other problems you want to correct so be ready for a big job.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
man , I would think long and hard about it , I did mine and I`m glad I did , I wont have any doubts about it for another how many years , which is a comfort . However it is more work than you can imagine , lots of little details along the way . I used romex and boat wire for twelve volts. Bx cable might be nice but hard to hold up when insulating and before you get the panels back up . I also wish I made more circuits , I just copied what was there originally, which would surprise you when you see how they ran it , which is why its hard to locate those pesky shorts without the wiring exposed . I also wish I had made a diagram for other 63 f.c owners , I have it in my head for now more or less , but should have put it on paper . I suppose you wouldnt need grommets with bx , I used the old holes and grommets if they were ok .
Get plenty of 1/8 drill bits , some clecos ,thousands of rivets and be prepared to restore the whole interior , you wont be able to help yourself once its out !
Just when you think youve drilled the last rivet ...

chris aka flyincloud
Flyincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master
What ever choice you make when you replace the wires make sure that you don't go with any smaller wires. They need to be able to carry the amp load and if say a 14 guage wire was there before IMHO I would replace with a 12 guage wire. I figure it can't hurt to go better.......................
Just adding my 2˘ worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I just got the last of my interior panels off and am looking at rewiring.The Dc on my '61 is all on one circuit.They ran a single wire up the front ceiling then pigtailed off from that for all circuits.On my trailer one could access all electrical conections by just removing the center ceiling panel.Of course on a trailer that is all together that would also require removing some closets.When I rewire I will be putting in new circuits for the fridge,furnace and vent fans.
Right now I am looking at what kind of lighting to use.

greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote