Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Short term battery solution question

Background: 2 group 24 AGM batteries wired into stock system on 07 International, stock except I have 2 solar panels on the roof that feed juice to AGM's. Batteries died yesterday. They are 4 years old. They will not hold 12 volts for 30 minutes. I have commitment to meet family for boondock camping this weekend. I want lifeline batteries, not available within reasaonable drive, 5 days out to be shipped in. No other reasonable AGM option available within time frame.

Can I pull 2 non -deep cycle batteries out of my diesel F-250 (not my main TV) carry them in the back of my TV, use my generator to charge them during campground generator hours (8AM to 8PM) and use a jumper cable set up to hook them to the AGM's so I can have power from 8PM to 8 AM) to at least flush the toliet?

Other options I am not thinkiing of?
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Chances of both batteries being bad are rare.

Disconnect the two batteries and determine which one is the problem and run with the one until you can replace them. One battery, with the generator, should be adequate for the pump, etc, for limited use.

You have to get rid of the bad one before hooking any other battery to it. It will kill whatever is hooked up.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It might be less of a problem to just buy one inexpensive group 24 battery at Wal Mart for the weekend trip and get the batteries you want later. Taking batteries out of the truck, trying to get them hooked up and to charge while setting in your TV, and then replacing them in the truck seems like a major PITA to me.

Even putting one of the truck battery in the AS would be easier for one weekend trip.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
MasseyFarm: Thanks for the input. I think I have ruled the one battery option out, but I am not an expert. I charged both batteries for 24 hours with an external charger with the trailer electric master switch in the "store" position. Right after charge both batteries at 11.56. Let batteries sit for an hour and checked each one with a volt meter. 6.5 on one and 6.2 on the other after one hour.

So I assume they are both toast?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Idroba, thanks for the input. I think you are on to a labor saving idea there. Can I buy a non deep cycle for this one battery idea? I could use a standard group 24 battery in an old hay swather after it was done in the stop gap situation.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Did you charge them together or separately? If you charged them while wired in series they would get about 6.5 volts each. If you charged them while wired in parallel then they would get 12 + volts each. Or individually 12+ volts each.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I operate all the time on only one group 27 battery as that is all the old trailers had. One battery should provide plenty of power to run the pump so you can flush during the night. It might night run all your 12V lights all night long. I have camped several days using only the one battery but I do have LED lights in most of my fixtures to reduce current draw.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Did you charge them together or separately? If you charged them while wired in series they would get about 6.5 volts each. If you charged them while wired in parallel then they would get 12 + volts each. Or individually 12+ volts each.
They are wired in parallel. I charged them in parallel. i.e. my charger went on the pos terminal on battery A and on the neg terminal of battery B.

Are you saying I should disconnect and charge and test each battery? Then test each battery to see if only one is bad? I have 2 chargers, so this is an option.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa View Post
They are wired in parallel. I charged them in parallel. i.e. my charger went on the pos terminal on battery A and on the neg terminal of battery B.
A possibility to consider is that one or more of the four battery terminals may not be conducting electricity due to corrosion. This is common. Sometimes, but not always, cleaning the terminals will help.

I would suggest that you will want to remove both batteries from the trailer, and connect the charger to them one at a time. Ideally you would want to check the charge voltage and current, too, as it is possible that your battery charger has failed.

AGMs are expensive. Be sure.

Many big-box home centers and mechandise stores (Menards, Costco, Walmart, etc) have good quality, flooded-cell, deep cycle group 24s in stock, at reasonable prices. If your batteries are indeed shot, I would suggest using these as replacements. You can switch to AGMs at some future point, if you wish, or just use the flooded batteries until they are due for replacement.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For one weekend use a non deep cycle starting battery would work fine, and then you could use it in your hay swather from then on. I also agree with jammer, that a pair of normal flooded cell deep cycle batteries are a good deal, vs the AGM's. Try a pair, maybe you will find they work just fine for you for a few years.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Thanks to everyone for input and helping my education process. With all of the suggestions I was able to come with a solution.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
And the solution was ---------????????????????????????? We need to know who wins the prize.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa View Post
Thanks to everyone for input and helping my education process. With all of the suggestions I was able to come with a solution.

That's great...

And your solution to the solution was also a stroke of genius, keep 'em guessing, it'll drive 'em crazy.

Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Sorry I did not specify my solution, but it was not just one from a single person. It was everyone's ideas put together that got me to what I wanted. I realized I have a "work cargo trailer" my crew uses that has a deep cycle group 27 battery. I stole that for the weekend. I also found my local farm equipment dealer belongs to battery buying group that also buys from Lifeline Batteries. In putting in the single group 27 in my box it was clear I can get 2 group 27's in the box with a minor mod. So from my local CaseIH dealer I will soon have 2 group 27 lifelines and I do not have to pay the big freight charges that I was facing from "Batteries Plus" my other Lifeline local (35 miles away) dealer. But I am mostly happy I did not go to the trouble of pulling 2 batteries out of my powerstroke... and that is where I was going when I first posted. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
A little thought usually comes to a workable conclusion.

Dave