Madison , Mississippi

Increase in voltage or decrease in resistance = increase in current drawn

Over current is usually bad.

Birdwell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
wire versus insulation

twinkie you are smack on. but, i can run a spark voltage thru a 14 ga wire as far as I want as long as there is no better conductor anywhere near the wire, especially if I make no turns in the wire. Spark voltage will jump the gap on a spark plug, but will still use a better conductor if it is handy rather than flow through open air. "they" used to run bare wires inside houses-with ceramic insulators mounted on wood. as long as nothing got across the wiring, all was well. without a current draw, there is no voltage flow, either. so the case in point had current draw, and I think it was a case of one of the grounded conductors within the shore line connected directly to a hot leg of the 240vac (which, incidentally would only be 120VAC) that caused the shore line wire to become a fusible link. At least that is what I surmise. Voltage rating of the wiring insulation is not meaningless and I apologize to the forum if I gave that impression. In order to introduce 240vac into a single conductor, you have to connect both hot legs together and then connect your single conductor to that-which should be an impossibility using plugs and receptacles. 240VAC will flow through any wire until the ampacity of that wire is exceeded; if the insulation breaks down before the ampacity of the wire is exceeded, then if there is any other grounded conductor touching said insulation, there will be a fault at that location, and possibly save the first wire from melting open. So, hopefully, the shore line fusible link in the OP's post opened BEFORE anything in the coach drew enough current to cause problems. Bottom Line: be careful plugging your trailer into any AC source. Know whatcha got before inserting the plug. here is some info on that topic:

please don't go blind looking at all of these

be cool, ol' bill

wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
Hoffman Estates , Illinois
To all...

Thanks for all your info. My RV is parked about 200 miles from my home. Got a call tonight from the guy who built my hookup where I park on the farm. He said the diodes were fried and he did a bypass to a straight 110 connect. Taking out all the 220 plugs so no one else try's the same. I didn't ruin anything inside the RV because when I did the damage, the generator did work for me. It's 23 years old and I use it for my "motel" when I go to the farm. It's not moving anywhere, no need for a generator, just power outlet. He tried everything and it works. Thanks for all the responses received.

Gary Hebb is offline   Reply With Quote