Old 03-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
It was, in fact, an RV plug outlet. As you say RV specific. It was wired wrong to the CB at the plug and the main CB panel. Thats what bothers me, and should get everyones attention....the plug was an RV type and I could have easily hooked up to it.
Then you did all you could do , except keep your handy man out of your electrical system . I'm sure he's a very able fellow at the things he knows.

This subject will be helpfull for many , it's not the first time I've heard that mistake being made , even by electricians . Most of the time 30a means 220v , RV's are unique .

Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Unless you know different?

Hi, we all went to school and we all learned to read, I presume. Correct me if I'm wrong or you know otherwise, but every single 30 amp RV plug/ recepticle that I have seen in Home Depot or Lowes says right on the box and on the actual part, "30 amp 120 volt RV". [also on the shelf label] Plain and simple. Show me one that isn't marked.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we all went to school and we all learned to read, I presume. Correct me if I'm wrong or you know otherwise, but every single 30 amp RV plug/ recepticle that I have seen in Home Depot or Lowes says right on the box and on the actual part, "30 amp 120 volt RV". [also on the shelf label] Plain and simple. Show me one that isn't marked.
Good point Robert: Reading is fundamental!

Carol
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #60
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The problem is that 30A 120V circuits aren't used in a house for anything except RVs, ever, and many electricians don't realize that they exist.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
#10 wire is the smallest you should use on a 30 amp circuit. In most areas it is not legal to use the Romex type wire in a conduit or pipe, especially underground. By Romex type, I mean the conductors a wrapped in a sheath. The wire is designed with a specific current rating based on the fact that it is not inside a conduit. Individual wires (conductors) should be used inside a conduit. If your receptacle is more than 50' from the power panel including the wire that is inside your house or building, you should be looking at #8 wire to compensate for the voltage drop.
Think of voltage like you would water pressure. If you hook a hose to the faucet on your house that is 25 feet long, you will get a certain flow of water out the end of the hose, now connect another section of hose to the first one and notice that the flow has slowed. The longer the hose the less flow you will get because of the pressure drop caused by the friction of the water traveling through the hose. The same goes for electrical current, the longer the wire the more voltage drop (pressure drop) you will get.
If the drop is too much, you could burn up the motor in your air conditioner or heat pump. That really gets expensive.
By using the correct wire size and receptacle you can save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
An accurate AC voltage meter inside the trailer is essential. Especially if you hook up at home as that is where you are likely to have wire too long and too thin. On the road is an issue as well, but you likely spend more time plugged in at home than anywhere. Of course if you do not use the electric heat or AC at home you get yourself less trouble. Then one hot day you figure you'll do a little job in the trailer, turn on the AC, and bang....