Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Ah yes. My bad. Speaking of dyslexia...

I don't know how many times I looked at that and the horizontal only socket was vertical. Wind in the wires I guess...
Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My favorite story is the guy who couldn't plug his trailer into the outlet on his driveway. So you went to the HD store and bought the "right" outlet for the job. Of course the breaker tripped so he went back and 50 amp break so he could "run his AC". Half burned the house down and the insurance company would not pay. The original outlet was had 14# wire. You cann't screw with this stuff if you don't know how is all comes together. Like Andy says.... people could die...
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
SALUDA , North Carolina
Exclamation correct wire gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Depends on the age of your house. My house is full of 20A circuits. The addition in the 1990s has 15A outlets.
I added a 30A RV outlet by the street plus a 20A and an temp switched 15A. Total draw for all three is 40A.
I will be installing a 30A RV outlet where I park my trailer in the back yard. Just have to wait for the ground to thaw.

Both of the eletricians I have dealt with in Missoula will only install 12ga wire. Keeps problems to a minimum.
I hope your electricians are using #10 wire for the 30amp RV recep, or larger if the distance from the breaker panel is greater than 50 feet. Could be a problem with voltage drop starting an roof AC if it is too far and too small of a wire.
Saluda Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
This is not uncommon, unfortunately. We've seen LOTS of folks coming here to the park with melted or damaged plugs.

A lot of it occurs, like others have pointed out, by running too much power for the appliance(s) with a corroded plug. In many cases, folks with 50 amp rigs will go to a place that offers only, say, 30 amp outlets, add a little corroded converter between their 50 amp plug and the 30 amp outlet, and try to run everything. The result: A burned plug (assuming that they don't pop the breaker). From there, it spreads like a virus: They take their rig elsewhere, and stick their burned-up plug into a fresh outlet, and burn that outlet to smithereens. And so it goes ...

In large part, that's why we always examine people's plugs (enlightened self-interest: all in the name of helping them "park" their rigs, of course). When I find a burned-up plug, I pull out my trusty pocketknife, scrape off all of the corrosion, then plug it into our outlet.

Lynn
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I love this place!!!

The Forums have come thru again.
My recollection of mention on the 30 AMP outlet for home use.....saved me an AC, fridge, microwave, etc., etc. The 30 AMP outlet that I asked my handyman/electrician to install .....was in fact an RV 30 AMP outlet wired up to 220 volts at the main breaker box. I am sooooo glad that I never hooked into it. He came back today and said that he checked with an RV shop (?) which confirmed the wiring error. I felt quite better after he opened the outside electric panel, disconnected one of the power leads to the circuit breaker, confirmed that the problem was now fixed. Then, as he finished up the "fix" he put his big screwdriver thru the box faceplate to tighten up the last screw. The ensuing flash if light, explosion of sparks, smoke, and noise threw us both back to the ground. The box lid now had a torched like hole in it and the screwdriver was arched in two. I guess I will plan on 12 volt lighting for awhile....till the real electrician gets here.
(see my post today about my 12 volt electrical adventure .....life is exciting here on the ranch......like a Three Stooges film)
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
My recollection of mention on the 30 AMP outlet for home use.....saved me an AC, fridge, microwave, etc., etc. The 30 AMP outlet that I asked my handyman/electrician to install .....was in fact an RV 30 AMP outlet wired up to 220 volts at the main breaker box. I am sooooo glad that I never hooked into it. He came back today and said that he checked with an RV shop (?) which confirmed the wiring error. I felt quite better after he opened the outside electric panel, disconnected one of the power leads to the circuit breaker, confirmed that the problem was now fixed. Then, as he finished up the "fix" he put his big screwdriver thru the box faceplate to tighten up the last screw. The ensuing flash if light, explosion of sparks, smoke, and noise threw us both back to the ground. The box lid now had a torched like hole in it and the screwdriver was arched in two. I guess I will plan on 12 volt lighting for awhile....till the real electrician gets here.
(see my post today about my 12 volt electrical adventure .....life is exciting here on the ranch......like a Three Stooges film)
I'ld get me a new electrian. That is a bone head mistake. Actually it's two bone head mistakes.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post

When I find a burned-up plug, I pull out my trusty pocketknife, scrape off all of the corrosion, then plug it into our outlet.

Lynn
Darn it Lynn, you disappointed me.
I Thought for sure you were going to use your knife to cut the plug off the cord.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Darn it Lynn, you disappointed me.
I Thought for sure you were going to use your knife to cut the plug off the cord.

Ken
Hi, and after you cut the end off of the cord, the camp store sells a new cord for twice the going price.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Nope, I don't cut them off. But I did come across a rig with a plug so bad that I told them that they couldn't plug in. They left.

There's economic sense to the enlightened self-interest: Those outlets cost $18 apiece plus shipping (if I do the installation). If we charge twenty-something bucks for a site (Maria's call) and spend about a third of that on expenses (mostly taxes), that doesn't leave a whole lot left over if we have to buy a new outlet, too.

Lynn
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #50
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Dyslexia kitties doing the word processing & posting for Michelle again?

The Ivory colored one is the 120VAC 20A
120VAC 20A has two verticle slots and one horizontal attached to ground side.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Whatever it is . . .

. . . the ivory electrical socket on the left that Crawford Gene posted looks like it got into a bar fight. Maybe it was a 120 volt receptacle that walked into a 240 volt bar . . .
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
47WeeWind... I owe you one. That was the best laugh I've had in weeks
Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #53
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
. . . the ivory electrical socket on the left that Crawford Gene posted looks like it got into a bar fight. Maybe it was a 120 volt receptacle that walked into a 240 volt bar . . .
Was it a buss bar?

Well, I got the voltage right on those pictures. All the discussion of just what they were proves this to be very confusing. Somewhere on the receptacle it will tell you the voltage and amps. You may have to remove it from the box to find it (after turning off the breaker first) after an "electrician" has installed it. Because I'm sure I'm making a mistake, I read it a few times, sometimes using a magnifying glass if the specs are printed really small. To find a 30 amp, 120 v. receptacle I had to go to several stores, finally locating one at an Ace Hardware.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
I'm so glad no one was hurt. Did he forget to secure that disconected hot wire?

In my opinion, it alway pays to call the real electrician first. The whole idea of hidden problems is scary. I feel the same way about plumbing.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
A 30a , 120v , rv plug has a very specific prong pattern . Easy enough to plug into the trailer chord before you hook it up to see if it fits .Wire size will depend on the distance and the amps. When speeking to an electrician you need to specify that it is an 30a RV outlet.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
heres the problem

It was, in fact, an RV plug outlet. As you say RV specific. It was wired wrong to the CB at the plug and the main CB panel. Thats what bothers me, and should get everyones attention....the plug was an RV type and I could have easily hooked up to it.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
It was, in fact, an RV plug outlet. As you say RV specific. It was wired wrong to the CB at the plug and the main CB panel. Thats what bothers me, and should get everyones attention....the plug was an RV type and I could have easily hooked up to it.
Then you did all you could do , except keep your handy man out of your electrical system . I'm sure he's a very able fellow at the things he knows.

This subject will be helpfull for many , it's not the first time I've heard that mistake being made , even by electricians . Most of the time 30a means 220v , RV's are unique .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Unless you know different?

Hi, we all went to school and we all learned to read, I presume. Correct me if I'm wrong or you know otherwise, but every single 30 amp RV plug/ recepticle that I have seen in Home Depot or Lowes says right on the box and on the actual part, "30 amp 120 volt RV". [also on the shelf label] Plain and simple. Show me one that isn't marked.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we all went to school and we all learned to read, I presume. Correct me if I'm wrong or you know otherwise, but every single 30 amp RV plug/ recepticle that I have seen in Home Depot or Lowes says right on the box and on the actual part, "30 amp 120 volt RV". [also on the shelf label] Plain and simple. Show me one that isn't marked.
Good point Robert: Reading is fundamental!

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #60
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The problem is that 30A 120V circuits aren't used in a house for anything except RVs, ever, and many electricians don't realize that they exist.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote