Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
So I decided to run a 50A outlet and just leave it plugged in when home. That way the fridge stays cold and we can run anything else as needed while loading it up.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianalynn View Post
Shouldn't the battery charge when plugged into electric? We have a 72 overlander.
Yes it should Dianalynn
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
So I decided to run a 50A outlet and just leave it plugged in when home. That way the fridge stays cold and we can run anything else as needed while loading it up.
Good choice. Short term neglect is worse than full time use.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Pocahontas , Iowa
68 Overlander,

Ours is not charging while plugged in. Any suggestions on where to look first?
We also are not sure it is charging while we are towing it.
dianalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sometimes I plug in.
Sometimes I don't.
It is plugged in right now to run the heat because I haven't gotten around to winterizing yet, although I am in the process. I have begun the winterizing process by draining the fresh water tank and water heater. Maybe this evening I will blow out all the water lines with air. Maybe in the next couple of days or weeks I will get around to running pink antifreeze through everything. The forecast for the next 2 weeks is for lows in the 40's. I'm OK, but will get it done just for safety from broken frozen valves and peace of mind. December, January, and February are looming near/soon.
Advantages of plugging in besides keeping house batteries topped off:
Trailer is cool in the summer or warm in the winter when you are loading or unloading for a trip.
Refrigerator is on and to temperature already when you begin to load it for a trip.
I haven't notice a big increase in my light bill- maybe $10 per month added to the light bill? That is a small price to pay for the convenience.
I had a 50 amp RV receptacle installed about 4 years ago.
In addition, I just occasionally go out to the trailer and hang out in a silver man cave. It is already cool/warm. Cold drinks are in the fridge. TV works. Wi-Fi internet from the house works.
I have even spent a couple of nights in the trailer in the yard when the house was being painted and the paint smell was too much for me.
When it is warm or hot I even hook up water so I can use the toilet and wash hands, etc.
I could even drain my tanks into a sewer clean-out T in the front yard.
It's like a campground site in a subdivision.
Convenient.
Easy.
Wife approved.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Sometimes I plug in.
Sometimes I don't.
It is plugged in right now to run the heat because I haven't gotten around to winterizing yet, although I am in the process.

But doesn't the furnace burn propane? Or is that only below a certain temp?
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote