Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Shore power cord

The shore power cord on our '66 Tradewind ends/begins at the breaker box...snakes down the wall behind the bath closet into the cavity in the rear access panel. To reach the outside world and a power source it drops through a 3"-3 1/2" plastic drain pipe. So to utilize the cord I have to push and pull it DOWN through that pipe and the same to wheel it in. I would like to install a covered female connection somewhere on the outside skin. Can you clever people offer the best way to make this adaption? And are there any 'kits' available for this? The couple of SOBs I've had had a door to a compartment which the cord was coiled in. I think I would like something better than that.

Thanks,
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
yes,

west marine sells 30 amp twist lock bulkhead style connectors with a stainless steel faceplate/cap.

john
Old 02-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
you have a link?
I would love to replace my grey plastic with somthing closer to the skin color.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Neil,
Even with an '84 model, I was not satisfied with the power cord exiting via the rear bumper. I changed ours to an external twist-lock receptacle with cover.
The process went something like this:
Went to a local commerical electrical supply house and looked at all their 30amp twist-lock exterior water proof receps. The one I selected was not on the shelf so it was ordered. Also picked up a 30amp plug to fit the recep. that would be installed on the trailer end of the existing cord.
Waited for recep. to arrive.
Once I had all the parts in hand I started at the main panel and disconnected the shore line.
Measured inside and out to find the right spot to bore a 2" hole thru the exterior and interior alum. (boring thru the skin was the only part of this process that made me nervous. I did not like drilling into the skin but with the right tools everything went fine)
Prewired the new 30A recep. with a short pig-tail for the connection to the main panel. Completed the exterior installation with weather proof cover.
Re-connected power supply that now comes from the new receptacle.
Installed the new 30A plug on the old end of the shore line cable and plugged her in.
Now we have a stand alone shore line cord that is rolled up and stored when not in use.
If you would like to see completed photos I can post in the next day or two.

em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
The shore power cord on our '66 Tradewind ends/begins at the breaker box...snakes down the wall behind the bath closet into the cavity in the rear access panel. To reach the outside world and a power source it drops through a 3"-3 1/2" plastic drain pipe. So to utilize the cord I have to push and pull it DOWN through that pipe and the same to wheel it in. ...The couple of SOBs I've had had a door to a compartment which the cord was coiled in. I think I would like something better than that.

Thanks,
Neil
Neil, there's plenty of room underneath the closet, next to the water heater for any contraption you want to install, you just have to cut a hole in your skin. I personally have no intention of adding any more holes to the 41 year old skin than I have to. I, too, hate the snake maneuver everytime I set up or tear down. My thought on what I will do some day is cut the cord so it is just long enough to hang out the hole and carry a 30 A extension cord coiled up on top of the Univolt or in the exterior compart, which is on the street side for us, assume it is for you. Then you just pop the cap off of your plastic pipe and from the outside just plug your cord in the plug that is hanging down. Simple, no skin cutting, and no snaking.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
best and safest available

Neil:

You want to use the MARINCO line for this. It’s the one john hd is referring to.

It is standard in all current Airstreams and the best and safest available.

You can buy a “conversion kit” or parts separately from either West Marine or Camping World. Consult either or both of their catalogs.

The Marinco cord set features a locking ring that matches the outlet.

Sergei
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Neil, there's plenty of room underneath the closet, next to the water heater for any contraption you want to install, you just have to cut a hole in your skin. I personally have no intention of adding any more holes to the 41 year old skin than I have to. I, too, hate the snake maneuver everytime I set up or tear down. My thought on what I will do some day is cut the cord so it is just long enough to hang out the hole and carry a 30 A extension cord coiled up on top of the Univolt or in the exterior compart, which is on the street side for us, assume it is for you. Then you just pop the cap off of your plastic pipe and from the outside just plug your cord in the plug that is hanging down. Simple, no skin cutting, and no snaking.
I too would try not to punch any holes in the skin. If I do maybe in the corner or back near the bumper near where it is now. However, I like your idea of capping that pipe with a short cord inside. It would keep the AS's originality. Thanks, I will consider your suggestion.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
yes,

west marine sells 30 amp twist lock bulkhead style connectors with a stainless steel faceplate/cap.

john
John, Smokeless provided pictures of your suggestion. This may be a little 'heavy' looking for my vintage. I did check out West Marine and they have one that caught my eye but it was a 50 amp. It was a chrome screw cap design. I appreciate your suggestion. Thanks,
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley
Neil,
Even with an '84 model, I was not satisfied with the power cord exiting via the rear bumper. I changed ours to an external twist-lock receptacle with cover.
The process went something like this:
Went to a local commerical electrical supply house and looked at all their 30amp twist-lock exterior water proof receps. The one I selected was not on the shelf so it was ordered. Also picked up a 30amp plug to fit the recep. that would be installed on the trailer end of the existing cord.
Waited for recep. to arrive.
Once I had all the parts in hand I started at the main panel and disconnected the shore line.
Measured inside and out to find the right spot to bore a 2" hole thru the exterior and interior alum. (boring thru the skin was the only part of this process that made me nervous. I did not like drilling into the skin but with the right tools everything went fine)
Prewired the new 30A recep. with a short pig-tail for the connection to the main panel. Completed the exterior installation with weather proof cover.
Re-connected power supply that now comes from the new receptacle.
Installed the new 30A plug on the old end of the shore line cable and plugged her in.
Now we have a stand alone shore line cord that is rolled up and stored when not in use.
If you would like to see completed photos I can post in the next day or two.

em.
Em, your discription of your installation is very clear. Thanks. I am trying to keep the plug apparatus simple in design to not detract from the vintage appearance of my AS. Is the one you installed as such?
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Photos

The only thing left is a bead of Vulkem across the top to cover the foam seal. The gray plastic matched well with the exterior alum. Hardly noticeable.
Good luck with your project.

em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TwistLock~recep.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	32714   Click image for larger version

Name:	TwistLock~30Aplug.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	32715  

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I used the one as shown at VTS:

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Expensive, but well made. The part that gets weather is stainless steel and looks good on the trailer (even better after the trailer gets polished.) The one I installed replaced the broken original from 1959. I had the task of enlarging the hole in the skin and installing a new plywood backing block on the inside of the trailer.
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
I bought the stainless-steel version of this from Vintage Trailer Supply who have it for $100 (but they're out of stock), although Star Marine Depot have it for $75. It's polished so it'd look better with a polished aluminium skin, but maybe too obtrusive with the duller silver of an unpolished or newer trailer.

This is it installed, but before cleaning up the sealant or polishing or even brushing off some dust, so excuse the mess:

There's a patch around it because there was already a hole in the skin here from the original water-fill inlet that was larger than I needed for the electrical inlet. But it also served to give the sheet-metal screws the inlet is attached with a bit more material to hold onto, as the cable's pretty heavy, or someone could trip over it. I also installed it next to a rib (in this case for the hatch below) for a bit of extra strength.

The inside part of the inlet will come at least 1-2" through the inner skin, so plan for that.

(Edit: r&kweber posted while I was composing with similar info. A plywood backing block would probably have been a good idea.)
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Here's a picture of the new Marinco inlet on my Tradewind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ACfinished 002.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	32722   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACfinished 001.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	32723  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Great ideas

Yes, Thanks for all the great ideas and pictures of your installations. I am glad that I asked for imput on a seemingly simple project. You have made it much MORE simple for me. I probably would not have even considered the weight of the 30 amp cord hanging and tugging on the skin. Thanks again....now it's time for me to act on your suggestions. I have that area cleared as I am replacing some floor in there and better locate the Intellepower. I also want to address the shore water bib too.
Thank you and I will post pictures of my completed project.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Neil:

MARINCO has many models. The stainless steel style, or the round one used by Markdoane, will look very cool on your vintage trailer.

These are very well made appliances.

Mine will be painted out, except for the central stainless face plate, blending into the Jet Black portion of the Argosy's new paint job.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
. . . I also want to address the shore water bib too.
Thank you and I will post pictures of my completed project.
Neil.
Neil,

The hose bib/inlet doesn't need to be surface mounted, you can recess them behind a door if you like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inlet 009.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	32791  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hubby is planning on putting one of these front for access to a generator in the truck bed and one in the back of our Argosy..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Just to add my 2 cents. I just replaced my pigtail with the Marinco Stainless Steel Female outlet from Vintage Trailer Supply. I found it cheaper elsewhere, but Vintage has been good to work with.

I thought about the shorter pigtail solution, but had two reservations that pushed me over to the outside outlet. Firstly, not that I plan to drive off with my cord still attached to the shore power I thought this solution would cause the least amount of internal damage. Secondly, the Marinco outlets are water proof. The pigtail would most likely have an outside connection that could be prone to weather issues.

I don't think either of those issues are really important, so I will only rest on the fact that the Marinco Stainless outlet looks really cool! Definitely nautical.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Quote:
I am glad that I asked for imput on a seemingly simple project.
So far as I can tell, there's no such thing as a "simple project"...

Or as a friend of mine said once, "Everything is complicated, when you get into it."
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote