Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Shore power cable - fixed or removable?

I am getting close to finishing up the electrical part of my 1973 31' remodel. The original shore power connection was done by a cable that was hard wired directly into the breaker box. The cable was stored in the back bumper storage box when not in use and was pulled out the bottom through a rubber gasket when in use. I can reinstall things that way or I could instead install Marinco twist lock waterproof plug assembly. I have wondered if the fact that the power cord would then be removable would make it more likely to get stollen. Also I am not sure that being able to remove it would make all that much difference in my case because storing it in the back bumper box makes as much sense to me as stroring it anywhere else. So what do you think?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 04-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If current design will be any influence, all new Airstreams come with a removeable shore cord that plugs in to a Marinco twist-lock fitting. If you're worried about it being stolen while in use, you can rivet a heavy stainless clamp on it and then padlock it to the power post and/or the trailer.

When you're stored, you can totally remove the cable and lock it up inside the trailer.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I'm planning on upgrading to a 50 amp detach cord on the 86. That way when it's cold I'll be able to run more than one electric heater. I also plan on having 2 10 foot cords. Then I'll be able to tie my bike on the back bumper,(weighs less than te 30 foot cord that's there now) cause the cord will be in a fwd area while towing.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You could install a retractable cord on a reel like some of the models have-very convenient once it's done.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
I went original with the cord in the back bumper compartment and hard wired to the fuse box. have not regretted it.
I think either way is fine, just know that the Marinco SS setup will set you back over $ 100.00 for both parts, even at a bargain price.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
My power cable is on a reel assembly with the water hose. I'm considering taking out the reels becasue they use a lot of space (under my rear bed pillow). I was thinking Matinco on two cables, one short and one long. I also want to be able to connect them together for those longer reaches but not sure the connectors would allow that so I haven't done it yet. I wonder if I'll miss the reels.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I like the Marinco style cords and plan to use those when I get to that point on my rebuild. I plan on 2-3 cords. One fairly short one and couple of longer ones as needed. That way I can carry the spare(s) either in the bumper, or in the truck, or if parked for a long period they can stay in storage. Also by having multiple cords you have backup if one goes down, gets stolen or you need to shift weight.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hard wired into your breaker box will eliminate another set of connections that can corrode.

john