Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Tom,

It sounds to me like something isn't right in your trailer wiring.

I would suggest that you get an RV technician or other qualified person involved. I doubt if it's anything really serious.

I don't help people troubleshoot electrical problems over the internet anymore after someone I was helping very nearly got badly burned. It's best to learn from someone who is right there to identify hazards to watch for.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Shore power/battery

Not only trying to figure out this trailer, I am finding this website sorta challenging to manipulate as well. If I haven't thanked each of you with a thank you note, I am doing it now. Thank you very much. Tom

Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
WHOA Nellie! This is too soon to let yourself become frustrated with such a new and wonderful toy.... This is the learning process, and it's not always painless, but you will look back a year from now and feel like you have a great handle on it!

Your Bambi will be great fun, and more so every time you use it. Keep asking questions; this is what the forums are for!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
mocus, i seem to remember something about the converter not kicking on with a low battery voltage. you might be able to 'fool' the converter to charge if you run your tow vehicle with the umbilical plugged in and then switch on the "use" button. maybe someone can post if this may be the issue.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Ricky.....I've seen this before but am going to ask this time....What is the "umbilical?" Presume it's the cable from trailer to truck? Not only meeting a bunch of nice people, I'm learning a new vocabulary as well. I think I did what you are suggesting this afternoon. I hooked up the trailer, put switch to "use," and drove around for a while. When I got home, battery charged and everything seems to be working fine (for now). That is the second time the lil girl has been out of the driveway. Thanks OM
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I found my panel

in bed area on pass side down low, black vent with knob flip it open. Battery will charge only if you leave switch to use not store and also obviously be plugged in to 110voltage from house. You may need to buy adapter $3 bucks. Could be your battery is unhooked take look under box. The converter and battery can get messed up running from what I have found. Let heater run,stereo and all lights for 5 hours went to turn off at store button everything stayed on. Then tried again later in day and it went to store all off. Being it is used the batteries can be damaged by non use or charging. You always want to store lead acid with full 100percent charge. Even sitting they loose charge like up to 5% a month. Trogans are one best you can get but spendy. East penn makes decent cheap 31size deep cycle
Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
mocus, yes, you got the umbilical correct :-) just wait until you start with the acronyms, lol. there is a lot to learn but the rewards are great!

if you use the search function select the google search (it works better) for any questions you may have. in the past 6 years i've seen very few unique questions. the advantage of using the search is that you'll get days/weeks/years of replies. it may be time consuming but you'll get many replies with many facts, opinions, points and counterpoints.

welcome to the collective ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Trailer plugged into 110/20A (only using lights & radio). Checked batteries and all connections loose (tightened). Fluid okay battery..New 9/2011.

Found a couple fuses (5a) in the front of trailer, under the couch, attached to the inside wall. Both okay. I would like to meet the contortionist that could work in that area without removing the couch and tank thats under there.

Battery connected and AC to trailer, switch in the USE position -- will not go to store position

Checked systems monitor - indicates low battery (red)

Circuit breakers (each tripped to make sure)-- (5) 1 30a is ok; 4 20a ok; Battery connections and fuse wires all connected and tight. Distribution panel: 6 20a and 2 30a ok. Reading across Battery (red and white wires) 8.1a

Everything worked until a couple weeks ago and we had the Satellite/Television hooked up by DirecTV. Technician made changes at dish antenna. The long coax that would reach to rear of trailer cut and connected directly to connection below the dish. The other wire was connected to the Wingard DM-4000. Tech said when we reverted back to cable all we would have to do is plug cable to rear of trailer, pick up inside trailer and plug to TV.

Everything seemed to work fine yesterday after a lengthy pull behind truck and AC connection from house. Closed Bambi last night with AC plugged in, switch to "USE," and went to bed. This morning returned to same problem I had the previous afternoon. If you can interpret this and want to give me more suggestions, I is here....Tom
Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Clear post with good comunication

Should be panel where ac to dc converter is stored, check fuses. My base speaker blew one 20 amps, everything looked fine except when I pulled it you could see break. My unit is doing something similar but I think it is ok. Your battery needs to be charged up try pulling it out and charging then install. Make double sure positive is positive and negative is neg before connection. I learned with boats you do this one time backwards you are fubared, new rectifier would be needed plus fuses. I was reading AS manual getting info something was mentioned about reversing polarity. But right now check easy stuff like fuses and flip breaker all way off then back on.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
The only thing I have not done that you suggested, is pulling the batteries out and charging them. Good advice about the plus and minus sides of the battery. I didn't find out the hard way, but someone I know did. I wish you guys and gals would hurry up and fix this lil girl cause tonight it is snowing for the first time this year in southeast Virginia and wanted to sit in it and pretend--and keep warm and read. Seriously, I appreciate all from everyone. Thanks ol'buddy (I hope I can call you that). Tom
Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus
Found a couple fuses (5a) in the front of trailer...
The 5A fuses are likely mounted on the battery disconnect relay. Mine are in the same location at the front of the trailer except I have a bed there. With bed propped up I can see them. I don't bend in the places any more that are needed to bend to get to them!

Quote:
Checked systems monitor - indicates low battery (red)...
The systems monitor will only display the approximate battery level when the converter is off. If it is on, it will display full scale, even if the batteries are removed! If you were connected to shore power and the converter's breaker was on, the low reading tells me there's likely no output from the converter.

Quote:
Everything worked until a couple weeks ago and we had the Satellite/Television hooked up by DirecTV. ...
This may be a red herring, but it is suspicious that you noticed the problem following the service. Most antennas get their power from the receiver through the coax. Some like the Winegard Carryout need a separate 12V cable to power the motor. He could have blown a fuse and didn't notice. Are you checking the fuses with a meter or visually? A fuse that looks good may be otherwise.

Quote:
Everything seemed to work fine yesterday after a lengthy pull behind truck ...
It sounds like you were able to put a charge on the batteries from the truck. This again seems to point to no output from the converter.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Mocus, you indicated the battery switch was in "USE" position and will not go to "STORE". Is it possible that your switch is misaligned with the label? My Sport 22' switch had a locknut that was not tightened sufficiently, and it turned slightly such that when the switch was pointing to "USE", it was actually in "STORE" mode. I had to turn the entire switch so that it was properly aligned with the label, and re-tighten the locknut.

I know it's unlikely that your problem is that simple, but it's worth checking.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Silver Goose: How can the output from the converter be checked.

Hibby: I wish it was that simple, however, the system was working fine prior to couple weeks ago. I have since unplugged everything (even TV) and will see what happens. Oh, thanks for sticking around....Tom
Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
shore power/battery

Well, just got back from church and trailer power (lights) dimmer than before. In church I was checking around to see if we had a "Saint for Airstream," but no one knew of any. Anyway......

Do not know if it will do any good or not, but think I'll disconnect batteries and leave trailer plugged in to house. Will recheck all fuses I can find and check for continuity with a meter. Here goes........