Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
greenfield , Indiana
Shore line question

Hello,

I bought an 1997 Land Yacht motorhome. When I use the shore line I still have to turn on the battery switch that is next to the side door to get power. Is this the proper operation? When I unplug the shore line the TV's shut off. With just the shore line the lights don't work.
tw369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Televisions run on 115 VAC, so if you disconnect from shore power they will turn off.

My answer to the other question is from my experience with the AS trailer.
When plugged into shore power, your 12 volt lights and other 12 volt accessories (stove light and fan, Fantastic ceiling fan) should work, regardless of the use/store switch. If the switch is store, the converter will not charge the batteries.

When NOT plugged into shore power, if the switch is set to store, nothing will work except the propane detector. If the switch is set to use the lighting and other 12 VDC devices will work if the battery is charged.

All of your 115 VAC devices (television, A/C, heat pump and the 115 VAC wall plugs) will work as long as you're connected to shore, regardless of the use/store switch.

For your motorhome, I don't know how the house battery works with the vehicle battery.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
greenfield , Indiana
Thanks for the reply. My motorhome does not have an store position. It is either on or off. It appears to me that when using the shore line for TV's, ac, and other 120v stuff the battery switch still needs to be on for lights and the radio
tw369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw369 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My motorhome does not have an store position. It is either on or off.
Off = Store. It's just a matter of how the switch is labeled. Motorhomes usually have "Off" while trailers usually have "Store." But it's the same thing.
Quote:
It appears to me that when using the shore line for TV's, ac, and other 120v stuff the battery switch still needs to be on for lights and the radio.
I've never even tried hooking up to shore power with the house batteries switched off, but that seems correct. The switch is located in between the batteries and the fuse panel, so if the switch is off, the circuits aren't powered, even if the inverter/charger is making 12v power to charge the batteries.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I believe that in a modern stock Airstream trailer the 12 volt circuits will be energized from "shore power" via the converter feature of the stock Airstream supplied converter/charger when the battery switch is in "store mode." When in "store mode" the battery is disconnected from the charger and the 12 volt circuits. I have no idea how this works on modern or older Airstream motor homes. Based on the OP's observations I have to conclude that this works differently in a motor home (or his unit is not functioning properly.)
Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
In my 2001 the use/store switch disconnects the 12V fuse and distribution panel from the battery and converter. In OFF, the converter will charge the battery but none of the 12V stuff works.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
In my 2001 the use/store switch disconnects the 12V fuse and distribution panel from the battery and converter. In OFF, the converter will charge the battery but none of the 12V stuff works.

Al
Al, if your converter still charges your batteries when it is in "Store Mode" then something is wrong with your setup (i.e., it may be wired incorrectly.) The purpose of Store Mode is to disconnect the battery from the coach (except for the propane detector) and that is definitely supposed to include the charging capability.