Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Seven / 7 pin connector harness

Hi - I'm a bit confused. I was reading both the AS manual and my TV manual and see an odd discrepancy in the 7 pin connectors. Here's what I found:

Chevy:

Yellow: left stop/turn signal
Dark green: right stop/turn signal
Brown: tail lamps
White: ground
Light green: backup lamps
Red: battery feed
Dark blue: trailer brake

Requires installation of trailer connector (dealer).

Airstream:

Black: 12v
Green: clearance lights
Red: left turn
White: 12v
Blue: brake
Brown: right turn
Blank (center pin)

Also, the TV connector is "blades" and the AS manual drawing isn't clear but appears to be blades as well I think.

Assuming it's blades to blades, do I have to rewire one end of the harness so this will work? Would have thought this was completely plug and play - I must be missing something?? Thanks for your help! Photos below are TV harness connection then AS manual diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1447262008.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	181416   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2233352741.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	782.2 KB
ID:	181417  

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Since both the TV and the coach are relatively new. It should be a plug and play situation.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Airstream does not follow the standard color code, but they use the standard pin positions. As long as you don't have to replace the connector, it should work fine.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
On my antique trailer, wire color and plug pin function are two different subjects. I wired the cord and the trailer to agree with a standard 7-way tester.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Wiring color may not match, and doesn't matter unless you are re-wiring. Blade function is the only thing that does. Use a 12v test light and check the function of each blade on the TV with the ignition on, and make sure the function matches the Airstream diagram. Or, you can just plug it in and see what happens. Worst case scenario is a blown fuse in the TV, and then you know you have to re-wire.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The more basic question is whether to use the round pin plugs that are supplied with Airstreams and convert the square pin connectors on the Truck or keep the truck connector and change the connector on the trailer. Some claim the round pin has better reliability. I have done it both ways over the years and have not observed all that much difference in performance.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
The more basic question is whether to use the round pin plugs that are supplied with Airstreams and convert the square pin connectors on the Truck or keep the truck connector and change the connector on the trailer. Some claim the round pin has better reliability. I have done it both ways over the years and have not observed all that much difference in performance.
Thanks all for your answers so far. The AS manual shows the location of each wire but the Chevy manual only provides a list - I guess I have to take it on faith that the location of the pins will align regardless of wire color? Yikes :-? AS mentions a wire for clearance lights but not the Chevy.... I guess we'll see?

Dwightdi - it looks like the AS drawing is suggesting it is blades, not round pins, but I can't be sure. Do 2012s have pins or blades?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
In the trucking industry they call them clearance lights. In the automotive industry they are called parking lights. In reality they are the same thing. Lights that are on all the time that the light switch is turned on. Do yourself a favor and go buy a test light. They are cheap and invaluable in troubleshooting auto electrics. Check out your fuses and have a few of them on hand too. The test light is an easy way to identify the functions of the light plug / socket. The trucking industry also uses the pin type plugs. Some say they are for heavy duty applications and can handle more abuse. The RV industry went to the spade connector. They work well and will prove reliable and if you ever need to re-do it you can decide then if you want to change over or not. I recommend that you get a cheap toolbox and as you accumulate auto electric items keep them handy and take along when trailering. Someday it will save you a lot of aggravation.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
In the trucking industry they call them clearance lights. In the automotive industry they are called parking lights.
So to recap…
Yellow: left stop/turn signal (Chevy) = red: left turn (Airstream)
Dark green: right stop/turn signal (Chevy) = brown: right turn (Airstream)
Brown: tail lamps (Chevy) = green: clearance lights (Airstream)
White: ground (Chevy) = white: 12v (Airstream) color match
Light green: backup lamps (Chevy) = blank (Airstream) no backup lamps on Airstream
Red: battery feed (Chevy) = black:12v (Airstream)
Dark blue: trailer brake (Chevy) = blue: brakes (Airstream)

Does that sound right?

To avoid rewiring either socket and invalidating the owner's manuals, the plugs on the cable need to be wired so that the pin with the yellow wire on the Chevy is connected to the pin with the red wire on the Airstream, etc. With all the rewiring being done on the umbilical cable, no rewiring needs to be done on either vehicle or trailer.

When my toad was being fitted with supplemental brakes and having relays installed so that the car's lights would match the Airstream Interstate's lights while being towed, the umbilical cable that connected the two had to be wired like that, so that pin 1 on the RV wasn't necessarily wired to Pin 1 on the toad, etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

So to recap…

(Edit)
Does that sound right?

To avoid rewiring either socket and invalidating the owner's manuals, the plugs on the cable need to be wired so that the pin with the yellow wire on the Chevy is connected to the pin with the red wire on the Airstream, etc. With all the rewiring being done on the umbilical cable, no rewiring needs to be done on either vehicle or trailer.
Thanks Protagonist. Yes, you've got it right and I feel like "light dawns on Marblehead"! Of course - wiring the cable between TV and TT makes sense!

Appreciate all the other tips and suggestions as well everyone!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
As it turns out, it actually is plug and play. All worked without any issue. Whew! :-)
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
When we got our 2009 AS we just plugged it into our 2010 Tundra's 7-pin connector and everything worked great. Sounds like plug-and-play to me. If you have a late model AS and late mode TV everything should be just fine.

NOTE: I realize that this is not the case for older (vintage?) Airstreams.

That being said, having a multi-meter in your toolbox will come in handy.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote