Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
forest hill , Louisiana
Serious electrical problems 93 excella

Hey gang i'm new to the A/S world so take it easy...big problems w/1993 excella 30ft...i can take all the elec. breakers out and still have SOME elec. power to plug ins...not all have power...maybe half have power...everything seems normal....microwave is the only thing that doesn't work...my electrician buddy is stumped....

Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forum, Toenail. If you are talking strictly about the AC power system, and all the breakers are either off, or as you say, "out", there must be some non-standard wiring in your trailer. Maybe a previous owner wired some of the circuits around the breakers?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
forest hill , Louisiana
tks

Tks. Steve...yes the ac power....we physically removed all three of the breakers out of the box and it still had 110 power to some of the plug in recepticals...very strange....it doesn't appear to be any kind of alterations to the wiring that we can see....#1 breaker is supposed to be the main breaker, but when we removed #1 breaker the remaining 2 breakers still had power going to them?????....could of been a large problem if we hadn't of made the discover. my elec. buddy is supposed to be asking around for help....
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenail View Post
.microwave is the only thing that doesn't work...my electrician buddy is stumped....
Not sure about your coach, but ours has a switch under the sink so we can run microwave OR roof air. The system will not run both at once. Just a thought.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
How is the trailer connected to power? Through the shore power cable? Has the shore power connection been modified?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Suggested start point:

The cord providing "shore power" - trace it coming into the trailer
and to the breakers.....
Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
forest hill , Louisiana
It is connected to power by the power cord....we have already checked out the power cord and it is good.... the cord comes in the left rear of the trailer and goes into a junction box inside by the left side of the bed...then it goes up out of sight which we assume to the electrical box where the breakers are located in the rear above the bed...yes i already found the micro/ac switch.....i haven't taken it apart yet....maybe today...gang thanks for the help.....this one has got me fooled so far....i'm thinking lightning problems or something like that...i'm not good at electrical stuff, but i've got good friends that are...tks again
Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Unplug first-

Take the junction box apart....you must know what
is there and where it is going.

You want ONE unbroken cable from shore power to the
breaker - no exceptions
Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
forest hill , Louisiana
my elec. buddy took it apart and only found a loose ground wire....i will have to talk again with him to verify what it looked like....he didn't find anything unusual inside the junction box....tks
Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
If the sub breakers were still hot after you physically removed the main, perhaps somewhere an outlet or switch was wired directly off the incoming shore power before the breaker box and was left connected to the rest of its original circuit... feeding power back to the sub breakers through that original circuit.

Could it also be some sort of variation of the "hot skin" problem, where a leg is transposed somewhere in the system and feeding back through the neutral? I haven't thought that through to see if it makes sense for all the conditions reported, but it occurred to me as I was writing the first paragraph.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
wild guess

I'm not really into electronics but....Have you tried disconnecting the batteries and then checking? Maybe there is an inverter putting AC in the system.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
forest hill , Louisiana
Guy i really would like to thank everyone for the suggestions...some of this stuff is over my head.....i'm good at hot rods/muscle cars....not this....i'll have to let my elec. friends read these threads and they will know...there is not any problems with anything 12 volt so we assume it would not be the converter....tks again