Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2003, 04:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Satellite - TracVision

I am in the process of figuring out which satellite antenna I am going to purchase for my travel trailer. From what I've read and heard, TracVision seems to be the leader in this type of technology.

Does anyone have any personal experience with these products? I am deciding between the S2 & S3. I already have the Dish Network and an extra receiver, so I'll just permanently install that in the new trailer. From what I hear, I will only have to pay a few dollars to add on a receiver to my account. Then, as long as I am in the United States, the thing will work and the Trac Vision will always take care of acquiring the signal. What a deal!
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Does anyone have any personal experience with these product?
Just the manual crank up type. I would get ahold of Tracvision and see if they had a mount to fit the curved roof. The domes look fairly wide and I see that as a potential problem.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
While we were at the International Rally this past summer, we were next to a 90's 34' with a heavy satellite receiver on the roof. He said the receiver had caused some damage to his trailer because of the weight. You might want to check with Airstream about their experience with these units.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2003, 06:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Sarellite Pre Wire

I may be wrong, but in all of the new sales information that I have read from Air Stream, they clearly point out that their trailers are prewired for Satellite. If the satellite dish should not be placed on the roof, where do they have there satellite cable coming out on the exterior? Where should the dish be mounted? Can it be permanently mounted?
Old 10-02-2003, 06:22 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Satellite dishes can be roof mounted but a factory prewire does not necessarily mean roof mounted pre-wire. Sometimes this means only that the cabling is in place for the receiver.

Many RVers use tripod mounted dishes setup next to the RV at the camp site. They are usually less expensive and can be moved around the campsite quite a bit in order to receive a good signal (instead of moving your trailer around). The down side is in the room it takes up when in storage and the fact that you have to set it up and take it down. This may not be an issue if you camp for longer periods.

Camping World has a good selection of dishes from tripod mounted and roof mounted automatic in motions tracking dishes. Obviously...the bigger and badder the dish the more weight.

Definately check with AS on roof mounting
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Airstream's Response

I wrote my question to Airstream and I received a response within 30 minutes. Here is what I was told:

"Your SAT signal runs through your cable TV hook up on the rear of trailer exterior. The cable in the trailer is rated for SAT We recommend using a portable dish."

I guess it's a portable dish! Hey, they just saved me $1,200.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The sat dishes require RG6 cable from the dish to the receiver. My older MH probably has the old cable tv cable (RG59?). I think Airstream is saying that the new rigs have the cable TV is wired with RG6 cable so you can feed the dish signal into your cable tv in and then your receiver inside.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I like picking out wooded campsites. This makes using a roof mounted dish impossible. I mounted mine on a piece of 6X6 treated lumber, then added a 2X4 to the front for more stability. Mount cost $0. I had an extra dish, from upgrading to a newer receiver. I use a signal meter, that I got from "The Shack" for $29.95. We just take our home unit with us.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Yeah I would go with a portable dish, one reason is what happens when you park in a wooded camsite and only can get a clear signal closer to the road so it's no TV if you have a permanite mount.

Also satilite dishes don't require any special wiring, just standard cable.

Tim
Airstreamlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 07:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The RG6 is pretty much standard today. That's what they sell at Lowe's as standard issue. You can use standard cable (the older RG59) but you might lose some signal strength. Hey, if it works it works! Doesn't the end justify the means?
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:36 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Hopefully the portable sat will work great. I guess my only concern was that it could easily be moved or tipped over. I will just try to secure it well.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Camping World has all kinds of mounting devices for portable dishes. I thought the sand or water filled base was neat, just like sand and water filled weights for physical fitness when traveling. The tripod devices are anchored to the ground with a screw-in device between the feet similar to that used for awning tiedowns and tethering a dog leash. A friend of mine just mounted his dish on a sheet of plywood and carries it wherever he wants to go.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Wired for satellite means that somewhere in the cable between the exterior cable/satellite hookup female F-connector, and the Winegard TV antenna plate on the wall, there is a plate with two female F-connectors and a short piece of coax joining them. To insert a sat receiver, you remove the jumper, connect the "Sat In" on the receiver to the connector going to the external connector, and the "TV out" on the receiver to the connector going to the Winegard plate. When the power button on the Winegard plate is IN and the amplifier is on, the TVs get the signal from the batwing antenna. When the button is OUT, the TVs get the signal from the satellite receiver.

The signal loss of 30' of RG59 over RG6 is minimal. I run an 80' lead of RG59 from my dish to a bedroom I didn't want to rewire. The receiver box in that room reports the same signal strengths as the one with 20' of RG6 in the family room.

Just user RG6 on the external run to the portable dish.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Article in SFGATE on TracVision A5

The San Francisco Chronicle had an article on the TracVision A5 for use with SUVs, vans and larger cars. The new streamlined A5 looks pretty sweet!

Slightly off-topic, but this could obviously be used with RVs as well (once you figure out the hard wiring and installation).

Link to the article in the San Francisco Chronicle

Xak
proxak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:13 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

I wrote to Airstream about using the TracVision and they strongly discouraged it. They siad that putting the TracVision on my Airstream could damage my trailer.

I still think that the TracVision is great, it's just not for the Airstream.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Josh! Sounds like a portal dish is the way to go. Have you decided on which one to get, since it sounds like you'll soon be enjoying many camping experiences in your new 28' International CCD!
proxak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

I decided to just go with a portable dish. Fortunately, I have the DVD player in my coach, so most likely, if I am not going to be gone for that long, I will just pop in a movie and save the hassle of bringing the dish and the box.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:24 AM   #18
qqq
4 Rivet Member

What about the one made for cars

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:04 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Hart,

I am a little unclear about your comment. When you refer to ones made for cars, are you referring to a DVD player or to the satellite dish.

If you are referring to the satellite dish, what I was told by Airstream, is that they do not recommend putting anything on the roof.

Josh
Old 11-11-2003, 07:49 AM   #20
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Josh,

I clicked the link in yr post, and saw the avert with a suv and a flat
sat dish on the roof.
It has to be lighter than an AC ...
But even the Dome shaped Dish wouldn't harm the AS ...it doesn't weigh that much.

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote