Old 07-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Pimprnel, those permanent mount dishes are around $250. The main problem with a mounted dish are obstructions, such as trees and buildings. With one mounted to a wooden block or tripod, you can move it around more to get around or through those obstructions.

I got my extra dish for the A/S out of someones's trash. Lot's of folks down here switch to Dish from DirecTV, because Dish has locals and DirecTV does not, so you see a lot of DTV dishes at the dump or on the side of the road on trash day.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
I am a Dishnetwork Dealer so this is what I know to be correct.
Older receivers are called Legacy. They require a Legacy LNBF. It usually looks like 2 horns instead of a combined unit. Newer units are called Dishpro. This includes the Dish 500 series. Dishpro units can use either Legacy LNBFs or Dishpro LNBFs. There is an adapter that lets you use Dishpro on a Legacy but it is costly.
As far as how Dishnetwork feels about RVs? Up until a year ago they tolerated a tag along unit in an RV. However with recent changes in Federal Laws they will tell that you need a seperate account for an RV unit. The receiver will work wherever it is located but technically they are right in asking for more money if it is mobile.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Roof mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimprnel
Anybody have any feedback? I want to have a permanent mount and I am not sure if the Dome will be too large? New auto crank from Winegard looks interesting also. Curious to hear what people have or seen.
I've used both roof mounted systems. The manual roof system worked fine. Campingworld installed it just in front of the refirgerator vent. When we ordered the 34' we had JC install a Dome King automatic system. It's installed just forward of the center bath, and works great.

You will not get reception is trees are in the way, but I only encounter that problem every now and then when traveling cross country. When off for just a weekend we know the campgrounds and select the site with the best clearance.

The manual system was a Dish product. Having to use two satellites for reception became a burden when we wanted to watch a station that was on the other satellite. Of course now you can get the dual system that is supposed to acquire both satellites at the same time.

The Dome King has the Direct reception, and we have never had any problem with it. We can have trees in the area, just not South of us. It acquires the signal in less than two minutes while we are finishing setting up.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Tom, how much was the dome king installed, if you don't mind me asking?
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Dome King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Tom, how much was the dome king installed, if you don't mind me asking?
I think it was around $800. This was after I told them I didn't want their $500 receiver.

The hardest part of it all was getting the dealership and the regional sales guy to beieve that JC coud do it. I talked with a design engineer up there, and he said "Why Not". So, I put them in touch with the guy and voila, I have a factory installed Dome King.

__________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That's not too bad for one that finds the satellite on its own. I installed our system on our house and I think you got a good deal.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote