Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Dave

How did you mount the antenna on the Avalanche? I too have an 02 Avalance - I've seen them snake the wire through the rubber molding on the front window, but I'm concerned about leaks and I think it looks tacky.

Ken
I ran the antenna wire under the dash to the passenger side of the truck. From there I just ran it across the door rubber and then up the side of the windshield under the windshield molding. Using the magnetic base of the antenna I just let it sit right next to the windshield molding about where the windshield meets the top of the truck. It was an easy installation and I've never had a problem with damaging the wire or with the antenna coming loose.

02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
DirecTV vs Dish?

Soooooooo.....I have learned quite a bit about satellite radio just from reading the posts on this thread! Is the main difference (other than the satellite configuration) just the programming? ...kinda like DirecTV vs Dish... I guess I don't get out enough...I have only found a few dead spots in my travels where NPR is non-existent and the choice of the remaining broadcast music stations was so dismal that I decided to pop in CD's for an hour or so. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to why you would want to pay for satellite radio....

Another question....do these satellite radios include CD players?

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
It's pretty easy to install satellite radio antennas because the wires are so thin. We have our small XM antenna sitting in the gap between one of the front windows on the trailer and its stone guard. I fished the wire out around the screen in the window by just taking out two screws, then replacing them when the wire was through.

As for choosing between XM or Sirius, you need to go to their respective program guide web pages and see which has the best selection for you. As time goes on, they keep getting more and more alike. As far as I can tell, the only major differences are that Sirius has NFL, but XM has baseball. Sirius has Howard Stern, while XM has Oppie and Anthony (don't blame me for mentioning these guys, I'm just the messenger).

A few years ago, it was generally said that Sirius had a slight audio performance advantage, but none of the recent tests of receivers have born this out. Neither has CD sound quality (if you're a discriminating listener with a good ear), but both are better than ordinary casette tape or scratchy broadcast radio signals.

Some of the other recommendations are valid, but only in the short run. For example, some people will tell you one service is cheaper than another because they found a really great deal on a specific receiver. But in a week or two, a different one is sure to go on sale elsewhere for less, maybe for the other service. A year from now, whatever device you buy will work fine, but there will be something more powerful available for a whole lot less money.

So don't sweat it; just look at the program guides and see what receivers are cheaply available where you are. You migh also consider what kind of service is used by the manufacturer of you tow vehicle, or other cars you own. That way, when you get your next car or truck, you can keep all your satellite subscriptions on one bill.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Warbler5,
We got satellite radio (Sirius) because where we live you will have to switch frequencies 3 time in a 40 mile drive and still may encounter dead spots. On longer drives, as you pass from one area to another there is no guarantee that you will be able to pick up the same program. I guess I should say that we mostly listen to NPR. Although it is nice to be able to choose the kind of music we want to hear wherever we are. We got it just before a long trip several years ago and haven't looked back. We have found that the one annoyance we have experienced is with the FM modulator. Sometimes we find ourselves in a broadcast rich environment and get interference on all the FM frequencies our modulator supports. In our Airstream Motorhome we have a stereo which has jack on the front so we plug in directly and have no interference.

We choose Sirius becuse it was the only service which carries NPR (although not all NPR programming, alas)

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Why pay for sat radio? Same reason we pay for sat TV. Programming. If you love listening to the same 10 songs played over and over again, or 10 minutes of commercials, laden with mindless disc jockey drivel, then sat radio is not for you.

Personally, I love the 70's channel on XM. Music is played on that channel we have not hear in years.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Why pay for sat radio? Same reason we pay for sat TV. Programming. If you love listening to the same 10 songs played over and over again, or 10 minutes of commercials, laden with mindless disc jockey drivel, then sat radio is not for you.

Personally, I love the 70's channel on XM. Music is played on that channel we have not hear in years.
When the "variety" in music began to disappear in my area, my husband installed stacked FM antennas on a 40-foot mast so that we could pull in stations from the San Francisco Bay Area. In the car, we listen to CD's and NPR almost exclusively.

I have had a few friends ask me if we knew anything about satellite radio, and I had to admit that I knew nothing.....this thread has started my education! I will be checking out Sirius...since NPR is included in their programming.

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 11-27-2005, 01:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
NPR Yes!, but no!

Hi all -

Went back and forth about Sat. Radio before getting it, asking everyone concievable about it, did they have it? Which one? Why that one? Etc....

Finally made the plunge and got XM, primarily because it had good NPR coverage. As others have said, the coverage is good but not great ie. not all programs. In defense of XM, they do carry BBC, which is AWESOME! NPR is also pretty good. Also have CNN which is handy.

That however, is not the clincher for me. The clincher is that they have NO commercials. Other than for other XM channels and programs. That is the bomb!

Got the car set up, with a home setup which I move to SilverToy when we travel in her. Both work with the FM modulator, which is easy to use and works great. When you get into a FM rich envirnment, move the modulation up or down .1 or .3 MgHz and you are listening again. Have a car cradle, and a home cradle into which the reciever gets fitted. There are antenea for each. The home antennea just has to be on a southern facing window ( it has a 20 ft cord - easy) and the car antenea is a simple magnetic mount which I fitted on the roof. Ran the wire ( thin!) down the rain gutter to the passenger door ( less opening and closing) and then under the dash - took 2 minutes! Easy and then off to the races. Registering the receiver took about 10 minutes on the computer - cheaper than talking to a person ( don't know why!) and the yearly plan is cheaper than the monthly fee. Even got my oldest son a Roady II for his car - 2nd receiver is about $7/mo to add to existing service.

XM has the 40's, 50's, 60's etc... and old time radio shows like the Shadow, Dragnet, Bluegrass, comedy ( blue and clean!), baseball, reggae, rap, disco, on and on. Not that I am hawking XM, it is that that is all I have experinenced so far.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't have Cable because it causes too much time in front of the TV!

Actually, I got XM before we took a cross country trip with SilverToy early this year and it was great to be able to pick something and have it without interuption for several hundred miles - until I picked something else - and took it again on a cross country trip ( without SilverToy) and it again proved that I will NOT live without satelite radio any more! Never thought I 'd say that.... Actually didn't use the CD's too much as a result of the XM. Had them with me but the spontonaity of XM selections helps keep you on your toes and listening when the hours get long.... IMO.

Take a good look at the program guides, pick you fave and go with it. Don't look back! Not that you will. I'm hooked, kinda like Streamin'....

My 2 cents worth.

Axel
Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
For what it's worth if you have DishNetwork at home you can listen to all the Sirius feeds on channels 60xx . If you hook up to your home stereo you won't have to buy the home docking station or mess with the exterior antenna at home.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

XM has NPR also. Just so you know. They also have CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, ESPN, ESPN News, ACC, Big East, PAC 10, football,etc... Great programming in my opinion. Who listens to Howard Stern anyway, what a gasbag. Opie and anthony used to be a pay channel on XM but not enough people bought it, so they just included it in your regular channels, thanks, but no thanks. Then a few months later they upped the monthly cost by $2 a month, to cover the cost of the O&A show contract. This is the only thing I don't like about XM, I thought it was a little sneaky. And you can buy the Playboy channel for the same $2 a month, don't really understand this one either. I mean it's radio, right?

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We use XM both in Chummy and in our home. We can enjoy NPR anywhere with XM but I really like the BBC for good precise, truthful news coverage. There are so many happenings in the world that never make it on our news broadcasts here in the states that the BBC covers.
At home and outside in campgrounds we use a Playdock by Cambridge Music. Sadly, this is an obsolete unit but can still be found on eBay and some electronic stores. The sound is phenomenal.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Man, am I confused ! I bought Cirius instead of XM because XM did not have NPR. Now you are all saying that XM has NPR, but I looked on the XM web site and found only this:

XM Public Radio - XM 133 provides insightful, entertaining, and provocative programming produced by some of the most respected names in public broadcasting, including Public Radio International (PRI) and its station partners Chicago Public Radio and WGBH Boston; American Public Media (the production and distribution arm of Minnesota Public Radio); and Boston public radio station WBUR.

Which is not NPR. What am I missing?

By the way I agree with you about BBC, also CSPAN Radio has some very good stuff.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 11-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

I purchased a lifetime subscription to Sirius radio when it appeared sometime ago. I have never been more happy with the system. Even though I don't listen to all 100 channels it is pleasant to not be interrupted with comercials.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Guy99, does Sirius NPR include the items you listed that XM carries? These are all heard on regular FM - NPR.

When I travel in the USA I immediately notice how difficult it is to keep a NPR signal. The stations are often few and far between and even where they are plentiful, they most often have weak signals.

You find yourself seeking another NPR station as often as every 20 minutes or so.

The other irritation is the fact that the programs are not synchronized in a national broadcast so often you’ll bring in the next available station only to find that they are running a program that you listened to somewhere else two hours ago.

XM and Sirius are both coming to Canada next month but it probably makes more sense to have a subscription in the US then it does here.

That’s because we enjoy the ad-free, publicly owned Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). Ninety percent or more of the items are broadcast nationally, delayed only for time zone. The coverage is so good and the signals generally so strong that you can follow it coast-to-coast and even into the Arctic.

Incidentally, the satellite radio pre launch stories here say that you cannot use an American receiver to get a signal in Canada and visa-versa. Is this true??

If you tell yourself satellite is only $15. a month it will seem OK. If you realize that’s $900 over five years you may say “Whoa” and go back to twisting the dial.

It all goes to show not just important technology has become in our daily lives but how expensive it is.

If you add up the annual cost of phones -land and mobile -your cable, internet service, various subscriptions, now satellite, etc., etc. you will astonished at the figure.

Sergei
Old 11-27-2005, 11:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Smokeless Joe,
Sirius does not have the XM Public Radio station, that is an XM creation. It does have BBC, CSPAN, 2 NPR feeds, and PRI plus lots of other news feeds. Many (but not all) of the shows on XM Public Radio are found on PRI. As was mentioned, the NPR feeds do NOT include Morning Edition, All Things Considered, or Weekend Edition - bummer you have to find these on broadcast.. Also, there is significant overlap between the two NPR feeds, and shows do repeat during the daily schedule so if you are driving all day, you may hit times when you have already heard (or don't care for) everything which is on.

Best thing to do is to review the programing on the two sites and choose what you prefer.

http://www.xmradio.com/
http://www.sirius.com/
http://www.npr.org/everywhere/sirius/