Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Satellite finder--which one?

OK, now I got the Dish Network....the whole thing works in the house AND in the back yard with my portable dish that the intaller/tech gave me

Of course the back yard installation was easy.....no receiver resettings necessary and I just matched sighting-wise the angle/rotation of the dish in the yard.

My question now is do I need a Winegard Satellite Finder SF-1000? Do I need anything? Would another brand suffice?

By the way, the Winegard tripod is prone to tipping as someone on this forum said--he is getting a "suitcase model".....don't exactly understand that.

I bought a "healthier" auger at Home Depot (it's really for staking your pet out)....and am hoping for the best.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I think the name of my sat finder is a channel master. It takes less than a minute to normally locate and lock in. I had a screw similar to what you describe. In soft soil it goes in easy and does a good job. In hard soil it won't go in at all. I am using a suspended lead weight hung from the middle of the tripod. It is a coffee can filled with lead. It keeps it upwright most of the time. If you are interested I will find the name and model of the sat finder, it does a good job.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Aaah the person from John Edward's territory....by the way what you think of him there?

And where do you buy lead, sir?

I guess this will give me something else to do while "setting up" in the park. Brenda usually brings me out a gin and tonic...fighting malaria here while I am setting up...

Apparently, she should hold off a little until we get a picture

Kis
Old 10-02-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Lead has become the bad boy, but you can still find wheel weights that most local tire places would love to let you have, or at least that is still the case here. It doesn't take much heat (propane torch or cast iron pot on a burner) to melt it down. Well I happen to be one on the few in that I am a NC Democrat, John Edwards is top shelf in my book, but then so is Jimmy Carter.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Tarheel, guess as long as we have "imbedded" messages...yeah John E... we can continue and not have our posts deleted.

Kis (it is pronounced Kiz) heard too much of kiss, kiss in Jr. High.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler

My question now is do I need a Winegard Satellite Finder SF-1000? Do I need anything? Would another brand suffice?
I have never felt like I needed a Satellite Finder. I listen for the signal from the TV when I set up my dish.
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Lead has become the bad boy, but you can still find wheel weights that most local tire places would love to let you have, or at least that is still the case here.
For lead, you might try a local diving shop. They have lead shot in sealed mesh bags in 1lb, 2lb, etc..., up to 5lbs weights. They also have lead powder in elastic pouches. Both obviously are waterproof , and surprisingly strong. They can be used as is. Just a thought.

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 'Laramie', HEMI
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Heck, I just mounted a dish to a chunk of treated 6X6, about 2 feet long. For added stability nail or screw a 2' piece of 2X4 on one end. Cheap, works fine, even in mild winds. Saw another fellow A/Ser doing this. I bought a "sat finder" at Radio Crap.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
You can find lead bags with handles in professional photo and movie supply stores. They wrap nicely around the legs or also lay flat nicely. Come in various weights.

David