Old 11-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
KIRKSVILLE , Missouri
Satellite Dish

We Are Trying To Decide If We Should Get A Satellite Dish Installed At The Dealership Where We Are Buying Our Camper Or If We Should Get A Dish From A Local Dealer And Use It On A Tripod. Some Say The Dish On Top Of The Trailer Is Not As Good Because Of The Reception May Be Blocked By The Trees When You Are Camping And On The Tripod You Have More Ability To Move It Around.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I vote for the portable dish; the DishNetwork guys gave me a dish and then I got a tripod with level and compass.... and then talk about trees--I have been in deep forest at Priest Gulch up on the Dolores and they do not interfere????

Guess at those altitudes trees do'nt matter.

Kistler

Old 11-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
In my opinion it depends on how you plan to use your rig. If you will travel to a camping spot and staying for a few days, then the extra hassle of setting up the dish isn't bad. If you make a lot of one night stops, the convenience of a roof mounted unit is pretty attractive. It is certainly the case that a dish on a tripod is more flexible. But you do need a place to store/transport the dish and tripod when you are traveling.

Also be aware that due to a court case, DishNetwork will no longer be able to provide distant network service after December 1. This is how you get network programming in an RV if you are away from your home broadcast area. We get the LA and NYC stations in our MH.

[Rant On]
We are in the process of switching to DirecTv because of this issue. It really galls me to do this since we prefer DishNetwork (we've had both). It is especially annoying because Dish had a agreement worked out with all the local stations and networks to allow them to continue to prove the service but company owned FOX stations would not agree. (FOX is owned by Newscorp which also owns DirecTv) Can you say unfair competition - monopoly?
[Rant OFF]

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Absolutely Positively DO NOT recommend the roof top unit for several reasons, one it moves around...a lot and has major potential for leaks. I have one that a PO put on and it is going away very soon. Issue two is where do you camp, in the southeast we look for shade trees. I had to laugh at a couple in Va Beach that kept moving their Moho around trying to get satellite reception

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Aaron,

You are certainly correct about picking your parking spots with a roof mount unit. Some RV park advertise "satellite friendly" spots. This makes sense to me only for quick overnight stays.

Any chance of a defective install by the PO with your roof mount dish? I've never heard of them moving around. Seldom hear of leaks.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Aaron,

You are certainly correct about picking your parking spots with a roof mount unit. Some RV park advertise "satellite friendly" spots. This makes sense to me only for quick overnight stays.

Any chance of a defective install by the PO with your roof mount dish? I've never heard of them moving around. Seldom hear of leaks.
Nope it has to do with the windage of the dish when on the road. It rocks back and forth...there really isn't anything under the shell at the point to solidly attach it to. A typical SOB has a sheet of plywood to help support it. IIRC Airstream does not recommend mounting them either. I don't watch enough television to justify the expense or hassle of the dish...don't even have cable at home

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Dish (in or out)

Thanks for this information. We are trying to decide how to handle the satallite issue and this is helpful. We have Direct TV at home with an extra Tivo box......so I think we will just get another dish and tripod....that seems to be the most cost effective and perhaps best way to handle for now..pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
Thanks for this information. We are trying to decide how to handle the satallite issue and this is helpful. We have Direct TV at home with an extra Tivo box......so I think we will just get another dish and tripod....that seems to be the most cost effective and perhaps best way to handle for now..pj
If you want to get the 'distance networks' you will have to file an "RV Waiver"
http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

If you will be 'close enough' to home you should be able to get your local network stations.

There is much dispute about how far 'close enough' is. Something called 'spot beaming' is apparently used.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Nope it has to do with the windage of the dish when on the road. It rocks back and forth...there really isn't anything under the shell at the point to solidly attach it to. A typical SOB has a sheet of plywood to help support it. IIRC Airstream does not recommend mounting them either. I don't watch enough television to justify the expense or hassle of the dish...don't even have cable at home

Aaron
Very interesting. I have been considering getting one to use when were are traveling (as opposed to camping). Do you by any chance have a picture of yours you could post?

Old 11-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
guy99,
I am out of town for the week, I will try and get a couple of pictures when I get back. There are two pictures in my album of the whole rig, you can just see the dish in it's folded position in one and up in the other. I must have been using the antenna portion at the time. I don't have a dish receiver.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 11-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Guy99 you mean to tell me that DirectTV will still have the distant channels? and the court ruling will not apply to them. That seems wrong on so many levels.!!!

Gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon
Guy99 you mean to tell me that DirectTV will still have the distant channels? and the court ruling will not apply to them. That seems wrong on so many levels.!!!

Gryphon
Alas, that's my understanding. Dish was sued for providing distance networks to customers who didn't qualify.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4537562
The judge upheld a May appellate court ruling, despite Echostar reaching a $100 million settlement agreement in August with independently owned and operated affiliates of NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox. Only 25 local Fox stations directly owned by Fox rejected the settlement.

Apparently Dish did play fast and loose with the rules and was going to have to pay a lot of money for it. But to use monopoly power to use broadcast stations to hurt a business which competes with a a totally different part of your business shows why concentration of media ownership is a bad thing.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

well the dish thing went through and my distant channels are now gone. I really liked that feature and when i signed my rv waiver i didn't have a clue that I would be able to receive channels from both east and west coasts.
I am trying to figure out what to do. For when we travel in the summer. Maybe I will wait it out a few months before making up my mind. Supposenly DirectTV still has distant channels and the rv waiver is good. Dish won't or can't even honor that.
I called dish this evening and spoke with "Ken" from India. I asked if I would be getting back the bucks I have sent them in advance for the distant channels. "Ken" shuffled a few papers and read me the fcc ruling. I said that i knew what the ruling was but I couldn't understand him. So he read slower. Nope that was not what i wanted. So he says yeah I will get my money back and blah blah blah. Then i asked another question and got the paper shuffle and reading of the ruling again... I just wanted to know would I be able to get my local channels when I was in colorado. "Ken" from india said I would still get my local channels.
Wouldn't my local channels be actually distant channels when I am in colorado? ( i didn't ask "Ken" this one)
Anyone have any ideas about this --or-- am I concerned about nothing??

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Oh noo Mr. Bill. This does not sound promising. We're also wanting to use our Dish account for satellite reception in the A/S and are just beginning to explore the logistics. And darned if we didn't get Ken's friend Sarah, with similar script in hand...