Old 07-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Question Satelite dish info

I just switched to DishNetwork here at the house, with plans on using the receiver with my Excella in UT (equipped with a Winegard dish). Aside from the correct coordinates, a compass and maybe a "satelite finder", what else might I need or what else should I be aware of? Any tricks or advice? Since the trailer is stationary, I assume I can set the azimuth and leave it? And thereafter just open and close the dish to the correct angle? Is there more to it than that? Thanks, Roy.

By the way . . . Lance Armstrong is GOD.

Old 07-25-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
I believe you've got everything covered. We also use our DISH receiver along with a Winegard dish. We just get to our camping area, find out what the Zip Code is and then using the setup function we key in the Zip Code (using the remote) and find out where to point the dish. It takes us about 5 to 10 minutes to get a strong signal, but we are pretty new at this and it may take less time as we use it more.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have been using my satellite reciever for the past 4-5 years in my trailer. I have found one gadget that has really helped me its a "Channel Master" Satellite Signal Level Meter Model 10041FD right off hand I do not remember where i purhcased it other than it was on-line oops I found it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/manu_disp...nnel+Masterway

. The cost is about $80 but it well worth it. I have used it in Maine and all the down the coast to Florida and as far west as Utah and back home to North Carolina. When you are in the woods and are looking for a " shot thru the trees" you can look at the meter and see when you have the best reception. Understand that you won't always be able to get a signal. Sometimes there are obstructions that you just can't avoid. I do carry two lengths of coax. The one connected to the trailer is 75' and I have a spare 50' that I can attach to it to give a combined length of 125' and I have used both to find just the right spot. You cannot run it through your existing system wiring it must be an independent line to your reciever. Hope this helps.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
, Texas
Your thread caught my eye, since we just got our Dishnetwork installed yesterday. We actually got 2 dishes from them, since they had it as part of their offer (something about you need two dishes to pick up PBS). We are anxious to try out our dish on our CCD. However, I am trying to figure out where we will put the box in the trailer??

Yes, you are right about Lance. He is clearly Jordanesque and may be one of the greatest athletes of our time.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I have an interest in a satellite system also, but I am wondering if it is just mounted on top of the trailer where the TV antenna is located or do you use an independent mount such as a tripod for the dish?

I have seen military satellite systems mounted on top of trailers and command vehicles where the system uses a locator of some sort. These systems use electric motors to move the dish up and down, back and forth until they find the desired setting. Does the system used on your AS operate like this or does it use the old TV crank inside to raise and lower, and to find the satellite?

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
My is a Winegard with a crank and dial. I'm guessing it's a commonly used unit. From the inside, the controls look very similiar to (the same as?) the controls for a Winegard antenna system. I'll know more when I get to my trailers in the fall.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Top Mount not reccomended

Airstream does not reccomend installing a dish on the AS itself. And I think I know why. The PO of my unit mounted one in place of the TV antenna, it has been a major source of leaks. I am going to remove it completely and do with out. If I want to watch TV I will go stand in front of the local electronics store If you really want satelite put it on a portable mount, otherwise you will have problems if you park under the trees trying to get a decent signal. And I just love watching people jockeying a trailer around in the state parks trying to get it just right so they can watch TV via sattelite

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Wink Using a tripod? Leveling it first saves time

I have a tripod which i use for my dish. I have learned the hard way that leveling the tripod before elevation and azmith makes shorter work of finding the signal. I also use a meter at the dish to "find" the signal then i use the audible tone from the receiver to fine tune. Put it permanantly? I park under too many trees!

Just my .02 cents worth.

dave
Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 AM   #9
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Sattelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Airstream does not reccomend installing a dish on the AS itself. And I think I know why. The PO of my unit mounted one in place of the TV antenna, it has been a major source of leaks. I am going to remove it completely and do with out. If I want to watch TV I will go stand in front of the local electronics store If you really want satelite put it on a portable mount, otherwise you will have problems if you park under the trees trying to get a decent signal. And I just love watching people jockeying a trailer around in the state parks trying to get it just right so they can watch TV via sattelite

Aaron
Aaron is rite about the mounting.
I use a mount that sits near my trailer and then I ran the lead into the trailer thru the banna rap.
I use Directv.
Works great.

Don
Old 08-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle
I have a tripod which i use for my dish. I have learned the hard way that leveling the tripod before elevation and azmith makes shorter work of finding the signal. I also use a meter at the dish to "find" the signal then i use the audible tone from the receiver to fine tune. Put it permanantly? I park under too many trees!

Just my .02 cents worth.

dave
Is your tripod commercially made especially for satellite dishes? If so where do you find them? I am considering removing the TV antenna from my AS as I agree that it is a source of leak problems.

Funny when you think about it, most campgrounds, and let me emphasize “most,” are really far from TV broadcasting towers and you're not going to get a good quality TV picture anyway. Also the newer TVs with digital tuning seem to cut in and out when signal strength is low unlike their predecessors. This can make watching TV somewhat stressful…………………………………….

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Quote:
Funny when you think about it, most campgrounds, and let me emphasize “most,” are really far from TV broadcasting towers and you're not going to get a good quality TV picture anyway.
If we're still talking satelite TV, broadcasting towers do not apply . . . It's the satelite in the sky, dude.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Airstream does not reccomend installing a dish on the AS itself. And I think I know why. The PO of my unit mounted one in place of the TV antenna, it has been a major source of leaks...If you really want satelite put it on a portable mount, otherwise you will have problems if you park under the trees trying to get a decent signal. Aaron
If, like me, your trailer is more or less a perminent structure and/or mostly in an area away from tall trees, AND you plan on retracting the dish when you're away (to avoid possible leaking issues caused by wind), THEN permenant installation is a sensible plan.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Tripods

My son-in-law worked for a tripod manufacturer.... thus my good luck. I have seen lots of store bought tripods which seem to do the job very well... Good luck with your search and most especially with sealing that roof!

dave
Old 08-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle

Just my .02 cents worth.

dave
I am interested in how you are able to set the azmuth & elevation and receive a signal from Direc TV (Pegasus in Billings) while camping in your AS. I spent several hours this past weekend trying to get a signal (6500' elevation, completely unobstructed southern view) but could not get anything other than a message that I need to move the dish "3 degrees" (which way?). No signal strength whatsoever. I purchased a tripod @ Radio Shack and run a 1 1/4' piece of PVC through the tripod and the back of this dish as per the instructions. I have the tripod on level ground. There is a nut on the dish that allows you to adjust the azmuth but I didn't see anything related to elevation. I also purchased a signal meter @ RS which supposedly tells me when I rotate the dish (from left to right) that I have locked in on the satellite. I have tried going through the coax coming out of the side of the AS as well as a direct connect between the receiver and the dish. Any assistance in getting this to work would be greatly appreciated. Montanaandy