Old 08-05-2004, 04:36 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
If, like me, your trailer is more or less a perminent structure and/or mostly in an area away from tall trees, AND you plan on retracting the dish when you're away (to avoid possible leaking issues caused by wind), THEN permenant installation is a sensible plan.
rfield,
I have a feeling that is how/why mine was installed. But now I get the pleasure of dealing with all the issues it has resulted in. When it was installed they used a regular pop rivet (not strong enough and leak) Some type of caulking that hardened to the point that the easiest method of removal is cutting the aluminum out. I may have to install a large patch plate to repair the damage caused by the install. Also I think a lot of the movement issues are caused by the raising and lowering of the dish as well as high winds, even when retracted. I was inside my AS this past weekend when we had a severe storm line blow thru, I kept hearing a "bumping" noise from the top, it was the dish flexing in the wind. It was in the fully retracted postion. If I do use a dish, I will go with a ground mount and run the cable thru the bottom fridge vent. The PO ran it thru the upper fridge vent, it was one source of leaks, the water was following the cable thru the vent in a heavy downpour.
Just a few of my observations.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:16 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

I believe Camping World sells the tripod for satellite dishes.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
rfield,
I have a feeling that is how/why mine was installed. But now I get the pleasure of dealing with all the issues it has resulted in. When it was installed they used a regular pop rivet (not strong enough and leak) Some type of caulking that hardened to the point that the easiest method of removal is cutting the aluminum out. Aaron
Wow, I'll keep an eye on mine. So far though, it's very solid. In your situation, I'm guessing there's the possibility that the PO's drove (at highway speeds) with the dish still up. I can't imagine that raising and lowering the dish is any more stressful than the same operation with a TV antenna.
Roy
Old 08-05-2004, 02:10 PM   #18
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
permanant install

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
Wow, I'll keep an eye on mine. So far though, it's very solid. In your situation, I'm guessing there's the possibility that the PO's drove (at highway speeds) with the dish still up. I can't imagine that raising and lowering the dish is any more stressful than the same operation with a TV antenna.
Roy
According to Airstream, it's not the raising and lowering, it's the wind acting on the dish when it's up and when it's down at highway speed the wind try's to lift the dish off the trailer.

Don
Old 08-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

wHERE OH WHERE IS THAT SAT SIGNAL?

Sometimes my signal hits very quickly and others i have to fine tune quite a bit.

However, I use my refirgerator (bullseye) level on the tripod to make certain it is level. This is very important in getting the signal.

Then i set the elevation exactly on the gauge at the dish where the systems says it should be.

I then use a small compas to roughly determine the azmith.

I use a signal strength meter in the cable at the dish and swing to the strong signal(s). I find that there are two signals which are close together. When i locate one of them i listen for the receiver strength meter to start a more rapid tone. I then remove the signal strength meter from the cable and use a connector in its place.

From there i just move the dish very slowly up and down listening for the tone to become constant and high pitched. Then i swing it around with the same criteria of listening for the best pitch signal.

I find that i can usually can get a minimum of 80 or so and many times in the 90's on the TV signal strength display.

Hope this helps a little.

dave
Old 08-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Satellite TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle
Sometimes my signal hits very quickly and others i have to fine tune quite a bit.

However, I use my refirgerator (bullseye) level on the tripod to make certain it is level. This is very important in getting the signal.

Then i set the elevation exactly on the gauge at the dish where the systems says it should be.

I then use a small compas to roughly determine the azmith.

I use a signal strength meter in the cable at the dish and swing to the strong signal(s). I find that there are two signals which are close together. When i locate one of them i listen for the receiver strength meter to start a more rapid tone. I then remove the signal strength meter from the cable and use a connector in its place.

From there i just move the dish very slowly up and down listening for the tone to become constant and high pitched. Then i swing it around with the same criteria of listening for the best pitch signal.

I find that i can usually can get a minimum of 80 or so and many times in the 90's on the TV signal strength display.

Hope this helps a little.

dave

Dave:

I will bring a copy of your instructions & equipment with me this weekend and give it a go. Thanks for the info. Montanaandy
Old 08-08-2004, 08:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have found that usint he "Channel Master" meter it takes me less than 10 minutes to set up the dish and find the correct satellite. Be aware that there are at least 3 satellites in almost the same location. Not only do you have to get a good signal but it has to be a good signal from the correct satellite.
If I were, and I am at home where I park my unit, at a somewhat permanent site I would set a pole or attach to some other stationary object and use this as the base for my dish.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote